Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Best All Around Free Card

@Dustink wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

So, for groceries in your example US Bank is also better.

If you were to spend $2k per month on groceries with the flexperks card with checking package you would be earning over 5% with no AF.

How is the 5% calculated?

Each point is worth up to 2% ($0.02) on travel. So, 20,000 points is enough for a $400 flight. They also give you a $25 fee reimbursement with the free flight to cover baggage fee's ect.

Double points on groceries plus 50% bonus from plat package. 2 points at 2% each pus the bonus is 5%. That is a no limit reward unlike the BCE.

You double point category is highest spend category out of gas, groceries, or travel. Plus double points on cell and triple points on charity. I have gotten 3x points from museum memberships ect which is 7% back.

Plus this card comes with a 17.5k sign up bonus ($350), so after one year of $2k per month grocery spending you would have enough points for 4 flights.

Thanks for the write up!

Excellent overall value.  I had gotten the Flexperks during the Olympics promo, but never really understood how to maximize the rewards program.

That was an awesome promo!!! Like $700 sign up bonus, soooo jealous....I got in on a 10k point offer. But i have racked up 90k points in about 6 months

I've got like 40K flex points with the gold rewards checking.  

Didn't really know how to maxize using it until now.  Thanks for the head's up!  Think I'm going to upgrade my gold to platinum checking or the 50% bonus.  

Message 31 of 39
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

I think we can all agree that is takes a combination of cards to provide the best rewards and benefits.

I hope one day AMEX creates a card with good benefits and rewards.

They have one, The Starwood. Of course it only works VERY well if you travel a lot, but it is still the best card hands down.

Now they just sweetened the honey pot by becoming bestfriends with Delta so you get DeltaSkymiles and Starwood points when you use either companies. 1 Starwood point is valued at a minimum of 3 cents per dollar, and can hit upwards of 9 cents per point internationally like Vietnam Nha Trang Sheraton.

I mean something like the plat but with bonus categories.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 32 of 39
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

Of course if you use them together it's much better, since it's ideal to have both cards, and use Flexperks for offseason travel when tickets are around $1,200 for economy, get the Frequent flyer miles as well. if you redeem Flexperks for slow season, and CSP UR points 1:1 transfered to United during peak season is the way I found to be the most ideal for my needs.

Makes perfect sense!  I'm going to steal this from you and use it.

lol thanks but also remember United Club card could be nice to, 1.5 miles per dollar spent on anything, This is an Amazing card to put things like Mortgages on. It has a high annual fee, but the breakpoint would be if you spend $50,000 + you'll get the card basically for free in exchange of 50% bonus rewards. Although for me as long as you spend $15,000 a year I think this card is ideal. Mainly because you get Star Alliance Gold benefits with the card and MORE. The benefits for me are worth atleast $300 and I'll gladdly pay that.

For instance the nicest thing about this card is you can get through the terminal with the Club card, you can request a pass to meet your friend or family AT THE GATE, go in the lounges with a glass of Complimentary beer or Champange. Free lounges, get to use the expediated security lines, Priority seating, free economy plus seating (few more inches of leg room) and a lot more. Personally I use this card to purchase Amex gift certificates at a discount , usually 1.3-2.25% is normal so you'll get a little discount. and use websites like Williamspaid or Chargesmart to pay 3 mortgages makes the card virtually free.  you also get 2 free checked bags. Just careful though cause they don't tell you that you need a United Club card (not cc) you have to request to get lounge access world wide. which kinda sucks cause it makes my thick wallet even thicker LOL.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 33 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

A mix of cards is ideal, As for using only one bank, we don't have a large balance so the only way to avoid fees is to use direct deposit, and I can only do that to one account. Good luck finding your perfect cards. And as always, to each his own. (And yes both usbank and chase offer check image deposits, but last I checked us bank charges a fee

Message 34 of 39
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

This is good info.  Thanks.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 35 of 39
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

If you were to spend $2k per month on groceries with the flexperks card with checking package you would be earning over 5% with no AF.

Each point is worth up to 2% ($0.02) on travel. So, 20,000 points is enough for a $400 flight. They also give you a $25 fee reimbursement with the free flight to cover baggage fee's ect.

Double points on groceries plus 50% bonus from plat package. 2 points at 2% each pus the bonus is 5%. That is a no limit reward unlike the BCE.

Your double point category is highest spend category out of gas, groceries, or travel. Plus double points on cell and triple points on charity. I have gotten 3x points from museum memberships ect which is 7% back.

Plus this card comes with a 17.5k sign up bonus ($350), so after one year of $2k per month grocery spending you would have enough points for 4 flights.

So plat gives 50% on the total reward?  When I got a Gold for Cash Plus, I was told that the 25% bonus is only on the base rate, so getting 5.25 rather than 6.25 on the 5% categories.

If you redeem for non-travel, is it less than 2cents per point?

Message 36 of 39
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Your double point category is highest spend category out of gas, groceries, or travel. Plus double points on cell and triple points on charity. I have gotten 3x points from museum memberships ect which is 7% back.

So plat gives 50% on the total reward?  When I got a Gold for Cash Plus, I was told that the 25% bonus is only on the base rate, so getting 5.25 rather than 6.25 on the 5% categories.

If you redeem for non-travel, is it less than 2cents per point?

Yes, it is on the base rate.

2% for flights

1.5% for hotels

1% for cash

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 37 of 39
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

BCE seems like the best card for daily use

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 38 of 39
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@CredittotheMax wrote:

BCE seems like the best card for daily use

And if you live in say NYC, always eat out, take the subway so no gas, and don't do department stores, is BCE so good?  Forward might be better there for example.

And in other situations, Penfed Plat Rewards outperforms BCE for those that do get groceries and gas (but not department stores).   And from the beginning of the thread, Cash Plus and Flexperks also have their advantages.

For the most part, you will need to know where a person is spending (and what they want for rewards) to be able to make any kind of recommendation.

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.