Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best American Express Travel Card?

tag
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

Best American Express Travel Card?

I have yet to apply for a card that offers travel rewards. If approved, I would use it for everyday purchases, gas, shopping, etc...

I would LOVE a card that would offer plane ticket/hotel discounts, or do they all do that? I'm very new to the rewards offered by travel cards.

I enjoy American Express a lot, which is why I prefer to lean towards a lender I am comfortable with.

Which AmEx Travel card do you guys reccomend? I really don't mind any AF.

1. Starwood (I've stayed at Starwood hotels before)

2. Hilton

3. Delta Gold vs Platinum

4. BlueCash

Thanks for your guys' help!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Best American Express Travel Card?

With everyday purchases, the Hilton card offers the most value "dollar for dollar" if you don't mind your rewards limited to the stay at their hotels and resorts.  It has no annual fee, and many everday purchases are calcuated at 6X the points.

If you plan to spend greater than 20k, then I think the SPG is an excellent hotel rewards card.  In my view, SPG has by far the best hotel rewards in the industry.  You're free to move points to many airlines with very favorable ratios.  The sign up bonus isn't bad either.

I think those two are your best options.  Personally, I like the SPG the best.

Message 2 of 20
Guava
Established Contributor

AMEX Starwood. It's not only the best AMEX travel card, it's the best travel card all around.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 20
anderl
Frequent Contributor

+1
Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Diners Club ELITE MC(20K);Diners Club Premier MC(20K,could've sworn the rep said 25k, oh well lol);Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(7.5K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL);Barclays Mile & More Lufthansa 12.5K.
Message 4 of 20
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@silver0187 wrote:

AMEX Starwood. It's not only the best AMEX travel card, it's the best travel card all around.

+1....Starwood allows you to transfer 20,000 pts to Airline miles and you'll get an additional 5,000 pts for transferring = 25,000. One of a few Hotel/Airline mile card that would do that for you. Keep in mind though, if you fly United or Continental, to transfer Starwood pts to miles is a 2/1 instead of 1/1 like for most airlines under their program.

I have the Starwood card and I use it mainly for Hotels stayed. I have 2 Freedom CCs that I use pts for to book my Flyer miles through their Ultimate Rewards program. So each one of my card has a purpose.

All in all, I believe the Starwood Amex is the best all-around travel, hotel card.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tntexans72 wrote:

@silver0187 wrote:

+1....Starwood allows you to transfer 20,000 pts to Airline miles and you'll get an additional 5,000 pts for transferring = 25,000. One of a few Hotel/Airline mile card that would do that for you. Keep in mind though, if you fly United or Continental, to transfer Starwood pts to miles is a 2/1 instead of 1/1 like for most airlines under their program.

I have the Starwood card and I use it mainly for Hotels stayed. I have 2 Freedom CCs that I use pts for to book my Flyer miles through their Ultimate Rewards program. So each one of my card has a purpose.

All in all, I believe the Starwood Amex is the best all-around travel, hotel card.

+1

Starwood and PR Gold/Plat make the best combo for me point wise.

Message 6 of 20
ficofox
Regular Contributor

The AMEX compare features helps with this analysis. I think the Platinum card is probably the best all around because it gives you all the Delta awards plus $200 airline credit, free Priority Pass, access to airport lounges, great rental car club memberships (National is great), access to FHR reservations and upgrades. Also search Flyer talk for bonus bumps to 100K MR + 50% Delta transfers. If you decide not to go the Platinum route, I would concur with other opinions that Delta or the SPG would be the way to go.

Good luck!

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see cc as 2 separate categories. One for rewards (points, cash back, etc) and the other for benefits ($200 airline credit, clubs, etc) I find that for the the benefit cards are more worth it to me.

Message 8 of 20
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

I can't believe I didn't reply! my apologies, thank you guys for all your input on which AmEx to chose. I've come to the conclusion I will plan to apply for the Starwood P.G. card in just a few months (currently in gardening), so I will definitely post my results in the upcoming months when I apply. I'm excited!

Message 9 of 20
Guava
Established Contributor

@grigorexxxcore wrote:

I can't believe I didn't reply! my apologies, thank you guys for all your input on which AmEx to chose. I've come to the conclusion I will plan to apply for the Starwood P.G. card in just a few months (currently in gardening), so I will definitely post my results in the upcoming months when I apply. I'm excited!

Seems like we're in the same boat Smiley Very Happy Im planning to apply for  the SPG card in December

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.