Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best BT Card For Thin-ish File?

tag
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Best BT Card For Thin-ish File?

Hello everyone!

I am currently helping out my uncle manage his finances. He currently has about $6,900 in credit card debt. His FICO scores are between 700 and 714 across the 3 bureaus. He needs to transfer a balance and I am trying to find him a good balance transfer card that will offer a reasonable starting limit.

His current cards are listed below:

Citi Simplicity - $650 balance, $2k limit

Bank of America Cash Rewards - $3,200 balance, $6,500 limit

Elan Financial (closed) - $2,900 balance, $6,500 limit

Comenity Dental - $0 balance, $11,000 limit

I was considering getting either Chase Freedom or Discover for him. Which one would probably give him a higher limit? Are there any others out there offering a long term BT? He doesn't have any negative accounts or anything like that. Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Best BT Card For Thin-ish File?

You can Check both Discover & Chase Pre-Qualify Pages

Just Remember the Chase 5/24 Rule

one thing You might note, Discover Does not really care about carrying a high Balance Transfer in My Experience.

Listen to the others that will chime in.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have any experience with Chase, as they won't let me in. But, I can say Discover has been great with me. I would give them a try. Besides possibly getting a decent starting limit, many (myself included) have seen their CL grow. 

Message 3 of 7
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

UPDATE: I tried the Chase prequalifier and it came back with nothing, even though they send him mail all the time. I tried Discover and it was pre-approved. We applied and they came back with a $10k approval, which will be anough for him to consolidate all the balances onto one card. Thank you Discover!

Message 4 of 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@RehabbingANDBlabbing wrote:

UPDATE: I tried the Chase prequalifier and it came back with nothing, even though they send him mail all the time. I tried Discover and it was pre-approved. We applied and they came back with a $10k approval, which will be anough for him to consolidate all the balances onto one card. Thank you Discover!

Now thats worth a Huge

Message 5 of 7
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

DISCO DISCO DISCO. They are fantastic for BTs and they tend to dish out higher SLs. Everybody needs one lol 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 7
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

I was leaning towards them anyway because I recently had my own Discover card graduated to unsecured and got a nice CLI to $2,000. They are easy to do business with and I haven't had a single issue with them (i.e. holding payments, bad customer service, etc.).

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.