cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best BT Card For Thin-ish File?

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Regular Contributor

Best BT Card For Thin-ish File?

Hello everyone!

I am currently helping out my uncle manage his finances. He currently has about $6,900 in credit card debt. His FICO scores are between 700 and 714 across the 3 bureaus. He needs to transfer a balance and I am trying to find him a good balance transfer card that will offer a reasonable starting limit.

His current cards are listed below:

Citi Simplicity - $650 balance, $2k limit

Bank of America Cash Rewards - $3,200 balance, $6,500 limit

Elan Financial (closed) - $2,900 balance, $6,500 limit

Comenity Dental - $0 balance, $11,000 limit

I was considering getting either Chase Freedom or Discover for him. Which one would probably give him a higher limit? Are there any others out there offering a long term BT? He doesn't have any negative accounts or anything like that. Thanks in advance for your help!

Discover It $2k // Target Red Card - $700 // Synchrony Home - $2,500 // Merrick $700 // Legacy Visa $750
TU FICO: 658 (2 derogs remaining) EX FICO: 620 (6 derogs remaining) EQ FICO: 610 (6 derogs remaining)
The FCRA and FDCPA are laws, whether the creditors and debt collectors like it or not. Inaccurate information is ILLEGAL and banks ARE NOT REQUIRED to report anything (unless it's a correction to INACCURATE information).
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Senior Contributor

Re: Best BT Card For Thin-ish File?

You can Check both Discover & Chase Pre-Qualify Pages

Just Remember the Chase 5/24 Rule

one thing You might note, Discover Does not really care about carrying a high Balance Transfer in My Experience.

Listen to the others that will chime in.

Message 2 of 7
Valued Contributor

I don't have any experience with Chase, as they won't let me in. But, I can say Discover has been great with me. I would give them a try. Besides possibly getting a decent starting limit, many (myself included) have seen their CL grow. 

"Hover mouse over cards to see CL and APR info"

Message 3 of 7
Regular Contributor

UPDATE: I tried the Chase prequalifier and it came back with nothing, even though they send him mail all the time. I tried Discover and it was pre-approved. We applied and they came back with a $10k approval, which will be anough for him to consolidate all the balances onto one card. Thank you Discover!

Discover It $2k // Target Red Card - $700 // Synchrony Home - $2,500 // Merrick $700 // Legacy Visa $750
TU FICO: 658 (2 derogs remaining) EX FICO: 620 (6 derogs remaining) EQ FICO: 610 (6 derogs remaining)
The FCRA and FDCPA are laws, whether the creditors and debt collectors like it or not. Inaccurate information is ILLEGAL and banks ARE NOT REQUIRED to report anything (unless it's a correction to INACCURATE information).
Message 4 of 7
Senior Contributor

@RehabbingANDBlabbing wrote:

UPDATE: I tried the Chase prequalifier and it came back with nothing, even though they send him mail all the time. I tried Discover and it was pre-approved. We applied and they came back with a $10k approval, which will be anough for him to consolidate all the balances onto one card. Thank you Discover!

Now thats worth a Huge

Message 5 of 7
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

DISCO DISCO DISCO. They are fantastic for BTs and they tend to dish out higher SLs. Everybody needs one lol 

Discover It: 19.7k
Amex BCE: 18k
Citi DC: 5.7k
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once you go Berner, you never go back.
Message 6 of 7
Regular Contributor

I was leaning towards them anyway because I recently had my own Discover card graduated to unsecured and got a nice CLI to $2,000. They are easy to do business with and I haven't had a single issue with them (i.e. holding payments, bad customer service, etc.).

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.