Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Balance Transfer Card for approval of $13,000 or more

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Balance Transfer Card for approval of $13,000 or more

As the title says, I am looking for a card that has the best chance of securing my requested balance transfer amount. That is, assuming that can really be determined.

I guess my real question is what cards traditionally will approve someone for this amount? I am trying to pay off one credit card with a balance of $13,000 and would like to transfer it to a card with a 0% introductory period.

My credit score falls into the good range (709) and this is currently my only card carrying a balance ( I have 3 total).

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Balance Transfer Card for approval of $13,000 or more

Can you give us some more DPs so we can be more accurate with our suggestions?

Like, where are you getting that score from? What are your existing cards, credit limits, aggregate utilization and highest utilization on which card? How many opened accounts/inquiries in the last 24 months? Age of Oldest Account / Ave age Of Accounts?

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is impossible to guarantee. That's a rather large amount of credit you're asking for from one lender and even people with sky high income aren't guaranteed such high limits when they're carrying $13K of debt. If you work with a credit union, that might be your best shot but what is your income like and your FICO scores from all three bureaus? 

Message 3 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is impossible to guarantee. That's a rather large amount of credit you're asking for from one lender and even people with sky high income aren't guaranteed such high limits when they're carrying $13K of debt. If you work with a credit union, that might be your best shot but what is your income like and your FICO scores from all three bureaus? 

This. While it is not unheard of by any means to get a 13k+ starting limit on a card, but it certainly is no guarantee no matter what the lender is.

Off the top of my head I would say stay away from Citi (Simplicity, Diamond Preferred, etc) because it's unlikely you'll get anywhere near that as a starting limit.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This. While it is not unheard of by any means to get a 13k+ starting limit on a card, but it certainly is no guarantee no matter what the lender is.

Off the top of my head I would say stay away from Citi (Simplicity, Diamond Preferred, etc) because it's unlikely you'll get anywhere near that as a starting limit.

Forget about Amex related cards as well since they have since capped BT's to $5K.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

The score is from credit karma, as well as the free fico score I receive from my bank monthly ( Transunion and Equifax).

1. Salary: $52,000

2. Exisisting cards: 1. NFCU - $13,600 

credit limit - $16,600

2. Syncb - $0 

credit limit - $1,400

3. Syncb Luxury $0  

credit limit - $5,500

-Total utilization - 59%;

-highest utilization: NFCU 81%

-3 New accounts (Mortgage, two credit cards currently paid off) in the last 24 months

-2 hard inquiries total

- Oldest account: 9 years

- Average age: 3 years 4 months

Message 6 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yeah, you just took Navy off my recommendation lol. But you could try for another Navy card later. Getting a card with a higher sl than 13k will be tuff with only 3 cards in your profile. My vote is for a personal loan.
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

While NFCU lavishes people in high CL's they dont' count for much when it comes to the bigger banks or at least in scoring in certain models.

Hmmm.... This is going to be a tough one to figure out with a thin profile with 1 V/MC and 2 store cards.

A 709 w/ CK could be a 609 FICO... I would go get your FICO scores for $1 at www.experian.com and that would accurately depict what options might be available.

Message 8 of 22
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

LendingTree.com

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did as you mentioned, and according to experian my score is a 738.

From the responses I am getting, it appears I am likely stuck with just increasing how much I pay towards my card monthly or I'll have to get a personal loan. I guess it is what it is. 

Thank you all for the responses.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.