Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Balance Transfer Card for approval of $13,000 or more

tag
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Balance Transfer Card for approval of $13,000 or more

@Anonymous wrote:

I did as you mentioned, and according to experian my score is a 738.

From the responses I am getting, it appears I am likely stuck with just increasing how much I pay towards my card monthly or I'll have to get a personal loan. I guess it is what it is. 

Thank you all for the responses.

I believe you hit the nail on the head !

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

738 is decent enough for an EXperian card.

Chase, BOA, WF, BBVA - These all pulled EX for me.  The only double pull was Chase as w/ every card I get from them they do this.

BOA is actually one of my top 2 cards for CL.  They did however open at 10K which wouldn't fully cover you but, there's an off chance they will want the 3% BT fee for that much of a transfer.  Might be worthwhile to see if they'll approve a new card.  Depending on your long term goals maybe the Cash Rewards or the BankAmericard (beige) with the 18-21 month 0% period.

BBVA clocked in at 15K and has a 0% period (if you're in their footprint then check out Regions as well)

WF was 7500

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the response. I will definitely look into these.

I can tell most on here have more experience than I do, so it's nice to get these opinions to help move on this.

Ultimately, I want to have this card paid off, that way I can obtain more desirable cards and now that I am more mature, use them correctly.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the response. I will definitely look into these.

I can tell most on here have more experience than I do, so it's nice to get these opinions to help move on this.

Ultimately, I want to have this card paid off, that way I can obtain more desirable cards and now that I am more mature, use them correctly.

Moving the balance isn't really going to do much in the long term other than kill the interest partially due to the BT fee you'll pay when moving it.  13K is a sizeable amount to be paying interest on though.  If you end up with an approval from the above lenders and move the balance then I would not be charging anything more to your cards until it's paid down.  Once you get down to where you can PIF each month then it's easier to manage things and your score will remain higher even if you do app for a couple of cards every once in awhile.

What I would do if you don't get the full amount you're looking for...even if you do... split the balance between 2-3 cards w/ 0% to keep your UTIL in line and under 50%.  

Message 14 of 22
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

When I met my wife she had a high (over 15k) balance on her Discover card. She applied for (3) 0% cards to get the limit she needed and split the balance between them. Saved her $170 a month in interest alone. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 15 of 22
pete19103
New Contributor

I would try Discover or Capital One; both give generous credit lines even for average credit scores.  Even if you cant get the full $13K, you can at least transfer over a good chunk of it and then work on paying whats left down as fast as you can.  Chase Slate was great with a 0% intro rate with no BT feee but I read here that Chase will be shutting it down and is no longer approving people for it.

Try Discover's pre qualification tool which is a soft pull to see if anything comes up.  I got 2 diff offers from that and got 11K (FICO 8 about 690 at the time).  Cap1 didnt show me any pre-qualified offers but I still got 10K on the Quicksilver when I finally got the nerve to apply.

Bank of America's pre-qual is useless.  I read about people getting pre-qualified offers for their pets so I put in total gibberish for the name, a non-existant address, random last 4 of SS and still got a pre qual offer!!! 

You can also try for a CLI on your NFCU but dont know if thats a hard or soft pull(and may be tough with 81% utilization)

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got approved for 12,500 from Discover and my Experian was only at 697 with 10+ inquiries. I got the one that had 0% APR for 18 months with 3% fee.
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could try Tally (meettally.com). It's marketed as a "credit card management" app but it's really a hidden trade line/line of credit. I know scores have to be over 660 (which yours are), but not sure about file thinness. If approved, you could move the debt off your credit reports and may improve your chances of qualifying for a 0% offer. However, I would guess it would need to be one with BT checks, as I'm not sure an electronic transfer would work, since it's not a credit card. Just keep in mind, this is really just debt musical chairs...not a solution in and of itself. But it may help give you some options. Best of luck.
Message 18 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As the title says, I am looking for a card that has the best chance of securing my requested balance transfer amount. That is, assuming that can really be determined.

I guess my real question is what cards traditionally will approve someone for this amount? I am trying to pay off one credit card with a balance of $13,000 and would like to transfer it to a card with a 0% introductory period.

My credit score falls into the good range (709) and this is currently my only card carrying a balance ( I have 3 total).

Any suggestions?

IMHO your best bet would be to go for a credit union non-rewards platinum card with no balance transfer fee or cash advance fee. A good credit union for that would be Unify Financial Credit Union.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 19 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Just note , though Disco is a great card, getting a high sl like 10k or 12.5k is not the norm for most people. Some people get it while others might get low sl. In case of Mr_Suave that was on his second card , not his first. Only true way to find out your sl with say Disco or Quicksilver is to apply. As in anytging credit related YMMV always
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.