Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Balance Transfer Card

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Best Balance Transfer Card

Do you know of any no fee long term balance transfer opportunities?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Balance Transfer Card

@Dustink wrote:

Do you know of any no fee long term balance transfer opportunities?

Hey Dustink,

I recommend the Citi Diamond Preferred and the Citi Simplicity.  Both have 18 months 0 APR on purchases and BTs with a low 3% balance transfer fee.

If you are looking for other options with different lenders, check out "nerd wallet".

They give a good comparison of BT cards with low fees and no AF.

Good luck!

Citi had some high lending standards for these cards so make sure you do some research with regards to approval standards and your odds of approval. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 2 of 16
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The ring card is also decent. There isn't an into APR, but it is an 8% variable APR on purchases, BTs and cash advances, no BT fee. 

Message 3 of 16
Dustink
Valued Contributor

The card is actually for my mother. She is carrying $5k in debt at a 33% utilization. She wants no transfer fee and 15-18 months no interest.

Chase freedom is good (she doesn't like the bank but is okay with their cards) but it seems to have a fee. I don't think the slate has a fee, but the rewards don't seem as good.

Citi is good too, I will check them out now. Thanks and any more thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Her scores are pretty good, and she can handle a few HP's.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

The card is actually for my mother. She is carrying $5k in debt at a 33% utilization. She wants no transfer fee and 15-18 months no interest.

Chase freedom is good (she doesn't like the bank but is okay with their cards) but it seems to have a fee. I don't think the slate has a fee, but the rewards don't seem as good.

Citi is good too, I will check them out now. Thanks and any more thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Her scores are pretty good, and she can handle a few HP's.

Focus on 1 goal when it comes to getting a credit card in this case I feel.  You want to lesson your money going to bank and get out of debt or do you want to get a rewards card... in 15-18 months the rewards card you get today that has a 0% for the BT probably will be useless to what is current in 15 months and if you plan on getting a card to BT and use at same time because of the great rewards I would bet money that in 15 months we will see that card MAXED or not a dime less then current debt.

which really we might see anyway paying off the current card and opening it up for what ever...

Very hard these days to get no fee BT and long.

I think Slate as you said is the only one I have seen recently that offers that... 3-5% is standard these days.

Message 5 of 16
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

I just recently got a DCU Visa Platinum with no transfer fees and 8.5% APR, just in case I needed to carry a balance sometime.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 6 of 16
Dustink
Valued Contributor

CreditAddict:

I just thought about that as I was looking for cards. I agree with you completely.

This card should be only for the transfer and nothing more. So the Slate will be ideal. Although the PenFed card looks good too. No fee transfer, 5% for the life of the balance.

I think the Slate is the winner, and I will recommend that to my mom. I will also explain to her that this card is only for the transfer and nothing more. All of her other cards need to be paid in full each month. Then whatver funds are left need to be put towards this goal. Ideally breaking it up into equal payments getting it paid off before the 15 months is up.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Message 7 of 16
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Slate is an excellent option.  Freedom is also a good choice.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 16
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

Slate is an excellent option.  Freedom is also a good choice.

Thanks for the replies and the ideas.

She just got done applying for the Slate card. The application resulted in the ever troubling message along the lines of; this application requires further review please give us 10 days.

Does anyone have a good number to contact chase at, to discuss the application status and/or the limit?

Message 9 of 16
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

There are some good numbers in the sticky threads on this board for backdoor recons.  Call them in morning and follow-up.  You could try no but its late.  (Also, tomorrow if federal holiday so not sure if they will be there.)

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.