cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Balance Transfer Cards currently available?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Balance Transfer Cards currently available?

Hi. I'm posting for my husband. He currently has a USAA card at 15k of 22k. His credit is old file, great history. Only problem is this high utilization. Together, we have the income to get this paid off in 15-21 months.
He apped for Amex everyday card last month and only got approved for 4500CL, of which he was allowed to BT 2500 off the USAA (not reporting yet but the balance difference on the USAA is showing up- just not the AMEX itself yet - balance on USAA before the AMEX was just under 18k). AAoA 8 years without my AU card, with mine its 6.8 years (I just opened it). Total utilization of all combined cards is 42%. One of those cards, he is AU. It's my Chase which I just opened last month. It is still reporting a 60% UTL, but has been paid down to 8% UTL-That UTL difference should post to CR in 3 days when statement closes, lowering overall UTL substantially. We hope it goes from 42% to 30. The CL on the Chase is 4500, when it updates it will ahow 400 of 4500.

We figure we will need 3 cards total (we hope) to BT this entire debt, unless there is a generous CCC out there that will give a high enough limit.
He has no Chase cards yet, only 1/24 unless my AU card counts, which would make it 2/24 for Chase's 5/24 rule.

He's 699 on Fico8 Experian today. I haven't pulled the rest CR yet. Vantagescore is about the same. One other old CC showing, his cap 1 builder card thats 14 years old with a measly 900CL. It's at 0 utl. He has a couple store cards showing open with 3500cl respectively, those are TD bank and Synchrony. Both at 0. And get this.. his military star card shows open at 0 utility with CL of about 9k.. it has actually been closed 6 years due to inacivity .lol. Last thing, one car loan only 1.5 years old out of 5 years. 30k of 40k. Perfect history. Otside of these, there are 14 closed accounts in perfect standing. Ranging from student loans, 5 or 6 cars, 2 or 3 CC. All old, being closed 6ish years.

We're stationed overseas. Husband's sister died earlier this year. We ran up the card due to that. We will do a loan last resort if he can even get approved for one, but would rather not. We can definitely get this done in 15 months, but want the "cushion" of 18 - 21 mos. Were looking fir 0 into APR for BT and hopefully some with 0 BT fee, military friendly is a plus since hubby is Active Duty. We have no expected apps in the next 18 months - 2 years. Help us out community! Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Best Balance Transfer Cards currently available?

Bananas, Smiley Happy Have him join NAVY stat!. And Penfed as well. Chase slate or Boa have excellent Bt cards ar 0 transfer 0 apr .

Salute you and hubby . Thanks for both your service, stay safeSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 6
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

OP I think you have some solid advice here, but I want to take a minute to make a point.

Many people get into a bind because of life's misfortunes and then find themselves unable to obtain high enough limits to BT because of utilization.

I purposely have lined up enough credit with issuers that are free flowing with the BT offers to help if the need arises.

RIght now, I have savings and an emergency fund, but have been a participant in a divorce and economic downturns and ended up in similar situations. Job loss (2000). Pay reduction (2008).

I have seen many on here that might line up the additional credit and then max it out too so self control is a must.

To each their own and not all situations are comparable, but this type of planning ahead works for me.

Good luck OP

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

We always PIF and we have a big enough savings. I talked to him about paying it off with the savings, but he really doesn't want to. He wants to keep that for a survival type of emergency (job loss, disability, injury). He only kept 2 major CC open because it was enough CC for him, since he always PIF. Then sister died, we flew a family of 5 last minute from Europe to USA. I can't tell you how expensive that was! Aaagh. And that was with military rates.
I told him the BT would help get it paid faster due to 0 APR. My card is still under promo APR but soon will be past the 60 days. I'm not a strong enough file to absorb some of it or I would. I didnt know my statement close date so got caught with a high balance on that Chase. When the statement closes on my chase tomorrow, I need it to report that small 400 amount for my own profile. Then it will be PIF to 0 as soon as it closes.

Hubby never really runs up CC. He usually just SD them. I'm glad he had high enough limits to fly us home. I offered to stay home with the kids, but he was so distraught, he begged us to come along. They were very close. So there's no concern of running up new balances or purchases. I use my card like a debit card, just to earn cash back. Therefore, I won't be carrying any debt.

His APR on the card is not bad, it is 12%. My calculation would put us at 22 months with that APR. At 0, we can get it done in 15, possibly even 12.
Message 4 of 6
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I think you and DH are thinking correctly.

After your lower utilization reports try for the Slate first and recon the limit if need be.

Then try for Navy Fed If eligible.

My advice is to not work yourself into a position of having many different payments.

Consolidating to one or two payments is more manageable.

Also i’d Like to point out that the world isn’t falling, but the stress of the debt makes it seem so. 

Like ive said, I’ve been there with you. Keep plugging away at it and you’ll be just fine 

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 5 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

OP I also think has cards , I think the Everyday or Magnet with 15 months 0% apr and remember Citi with Simpicity 18 months or Diamond Preferred at 21 months.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.