Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Balance xfer Card?

tag
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Best Balance xfer Card?

I'm looking for a BT card for my Fiance. She's run up a balance on  her Chase United card and we need it paid off asap. 

She's a few years younger than me, and she's just beginning to really understand credit card interest. So, i don't want to just pay it off for her.

I know the Amex ED is 0%, and $0 BT fee but capped at $5k. Discover It Cash Back has BT options. I'm looking for 0% interest for at least 12 months, and the lowest fees.

I also don't want this to be a card we close after the balance is gone. I'd like this to turn into a keeper card for her, so looking for something she could potentially take advantage of in the future.

|  
19 REPLIES 19
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Best Balance xfer Card?

@MyFault wrote:

I'm looking for a BT card for my Fiance. She's run up a balance on  her Chase United card and we need it paid off asap. 

She's a few years younger than me, and she's just beginning to really understand credit card interest. So, i don't want to just pay it off for her.

I know the Amex ED is 0%, and $0 BT fee but capped at $5k. Discover It Cash Back has BT options. I'm looking for 0% interest for at least 12 months, and the lowest fees.

I also don't want this to be a card we close after the balance is gone. I'd like this to turn into a keeper card for her, so looking for something she could potentially take advantage of in the future.

You are going to have to provide more info on her credit profile.

What are her FICO scores, what cards does she currently carry, credit limits balances etc? AAoA inquiries, has she applied for anything recently?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 20
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@MyFault wrote:

Personally, I like Discover.

But there are other Cards with 18 Month BT's.

I think USbank Platinum, Although Conservative Lender

Citi Simplicity, Just keep in Mind after The BT period, it will be a no frills card, and probably not a candidate for Product Change.

I am sure There are some others, I used Chase Freedom Unlimited in The Past. Just Remember The 5/24 Rule

More will chime in. GL2U

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

bankofamericard and amex everyday both has no BT fee, but they are not really very useful after you pay off BT. Not sure if PC is possible afterwards.

IT is a good card, the fee is relatively low, and 5% rotating category will ensure it will be useful down the road.

All Citi's card has high BT fee, simplicity and cash plus has decent 0 apr BT period. But simplicity has no reward or perks, and cash plus will kill your SUB with Citi's TYP cards.

Message 4 of 20
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

What are her FICO scores, what cards does she currently carry, credit limits balances etc? AAoA inquiries, has she applied for anything recently?

She currently only has 1 CC, the Chase United Explorer card. Scores were in the 720s range when i last saw them. No inquiries. No recent applications. She has some student loans on her profile from around 2012, which have been paid off long ago. She got the United card 2-3 years ago.

|  
Message 5 of 20
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@MyFault wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

She currently only has 1 CC, the Chase United Explorer card. Scores were in the 720s range when i last saw them. No inquiries. No recent applications. She has some student loans on her profile from around 2012, which have been paid off long ago. She got the United card 2-3 years ago.

looks like she's sitting pretty, and I think you can pick and choose with that.

yes best to get a card usable after The transfer Period.

Edit: with the one card, i don't know the utilization,

discover may be the easiest to get. if you decide to APP for Disco, Checkmark BT on The APP.

Disco does seem to like BT's and rarely, if any AA for Long BT periods. my experience anyhow.

Message 6 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MyFault wrote:

The best balance transfer cards, IMHO, are credit union non-rewards platinum cards that have no balance transfer fee or cash advance fee.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 7 of 20
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Personally, I like Discover.

But there are other Cards with 18 Month BT's.

I think USbank Platinum, Although Conservative Lender

Citi Simplicity, Just keep in Mind after The BT period, it will be a no frills card, and probably not a candidate for Product Change.

I am sure There are some others, I used Chase Freedom Unlimited in The Past. Just Remember The 5/24 Rule

More will chime in. GL2U

I'm not personally much of a fan of Citi or USBank. And while they could be good to keep her utilization low, I don't want her to utilize a card with no benefits. Especially with such a thin file.

Discover IT may be a great option for her. Also, i didn't think of the Freedom Unlimited. I would like for her to get into a Freedom card so we can pool points together.

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck with Discover for many BTs over the years. They have even offered me 2% fee and 0% interest for 12 months so I give them top billing. Of late, after 12 years Chase gave me a BT at 3% for 12 months and I took it more to finish up some Home Improvements and to utilize Chase (was in shock).

I'm thinking Discover and/or Chase Freedom Unlimited may be the best options. I'll run them both by her.

How did you get the 2% fee with Discover? Call them for the BT after you opened it?

|  
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MyFault wrote:

I'm thinking Discover and/or Chase Freedom Unlimited may be the best options. I'll run them both by her.

How did you get the 2% fee with Discover? Call them for the BT after you opened it?

you can't transfer balance from a chase card to another chase card.

Message 9 of 20
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

The best balance transfer cards, IMHO, are credit union non-rewards platinum cards that have no balance transfer fee or cash advance fee.

I was actually looking at NFCU. I'm eligibile, and I believe she is too. But i'll have to get with her to double check. It wouldn't be a bad keeper card, even with no benefits it's low interest. I just am not sure she would be able to remember to use it every 4-6 months to keep it open.

|  
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.