Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Beginner Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Beginner Credit Card

My girlfriend is 25 years old - a year out of college.  She has a two student loans (Direct & Sallie Mae) which she has been paying on time each month since she graduated.  

She has no other accounts in her name, she also should not have any delinquency or any negative information since she doesn't have any other accounts, and has always paid every bill on time.

We have not pulled her CR yet, so I can't advise on what is on there, or what her scores are.  When we do, I will update this post.

She would like to begin building her credit profile by getting a credit card.  

Can anyone advise on a good beginner card and/or company?

I have had experience with Citi in the past, and would prefer to stay away from them -- after not missing a single payment for several years, I had my interest rate raised 3x in a row over several years.

Ideas, suggestions, tips?

Thanks!  Happy Holidays!

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Beginner Credit Card

I would recommend a credit union credit card. Does she happen to already be a member of a CU? They seem to be more lenient to people establishing credit.

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, she is not a member of a CU - but I am, and we live together, so she is eligable to join the Eli Lilly Credit Union in Indianapolis and the USAA Fed. Savings Bank -- though, I have heard USAA is a hard card to catch, even for those with decent established credit.

Message 3 of 25
cuwhite5
Valued Member

Good morning to you. Well to gauge what type a card she is available for, she must first get her credit reports pulled from all 3 agencies along with her fico scores. It's best to buy the from myFico. She will not be able to attain her EX Fico score here. Once she knows where she is with those 2 she can then find a card where she can build history. IMO I would join your local credit union, if she is not already a member, and get a secured cc and start building that way. Keep the inquiries low at this stage of building your profile.

Starting Score: TU 717 EQ 701
Current Score: TU 794 EQ 760 DISCOVER MONTHLY 799 JUNE 2014) 807 TU BARCLAYCARD (JUNE2014)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Zync or Green by now before 2011 end for backdating purpose. 

Message 5 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I agree with Amex Zync

but I was really thinking Citi Forward and I understand you had a bad taste in your mouth from past with increasing APR, I think Citi might even say today they had a bad taste in their mouth about doing what they did before the law kicked in... but that stuff can't happen anymore without a lot of notice and usually a good reason (late payments, over CL sort of thing) but she will not see a credit account grow faster then citi unless we are talking a revolving Amex that you can ask for 3x current limit or a CU.

Message 6 of 25
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

I suggest applying in a branch for the Chase Freedom card.  Expalin your situation to a personal banker, and they'll submit the application and follow up with you on it.  They'll call banking support and help you recon if necessary.

Edit: Well, I guess its YMMV with the bankers, but thats been my experience with them, they'll do everything they can to satisfy me... *shrug*

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 7 of 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Can you post her CR stats? It's hard to recommend something without that.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 25
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

A store card where she is a regular shopper, is also worth considering. 

Message 9 of 25
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Wherever she banks would be a good start. My first CC was with BOA and although I no longer bank with them, I still have the CC. It was a nice limit for a recent high school grad so I'm certain a recent college grad would get an ever nicer limit. Banks where you have a relationship are always willing to extend credit to you.

Another option would be a store credit card, but I would have that as a secondary card and go with the bank (or credit union) card as the primary CC.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.