cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Citi Visa Automatically Closed?!

tag
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Best Buy Citi Visa Automatically Closed?!

Hi all,

Surprisingly I got a CK alert that my Best Buy Visa Card (my oldest card!) got closed! It might have been inactivity because I didn't use it for a year or so, but is there any way to reinstate this account?!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Best Buy Citi Visa Automatically Closed?!

You can try calling them and asking them to reopen the account, but I wouldn't count on it. A year is a long time without any use. As a general rule, you want to put a charge on a card at least every six months. I do all my SD cards on a quarterly basis, just in case, to avoid this (if possible).

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 7
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

I guess it's not the worst thing in the world because my next card is only about a year younger, and this account will remain on the report for 10 years. But it's super annoying because I was about to use it this weekend 😂

Called once and it was a no-go. I don't think HUCA would do anything in this case?

Message 3 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@mkhan1093 wrote:

I guess it's not the worst thing in the world because my next card is only about a year younger, and this account will remain on the report for 10 years. But it's super annoying because I was about to use it this weekend 😂

Called once and it was a no-go. I don't think HUCA would do anything in this case?

Once it's closed there's no option to reopen even if you HUCA.  Some Citi legacy accounts have the option to do so with HP and if the closure is within a certain timeframe.  Not so much with Citi Retail CCs, such as Best Buy, Sears, Shell, Home Depot, etc. 

Message 4 of 7
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Once it's closed there's no option to reopen even if you HUCA.  Some Citi legacy accounts have the option to do so with HP and if the closure is within a certain timeframe.  Not so much with Citi Retail CCs, such as Best Buy, Sears, Shell, Home Depot, etc. 

Good to know thanks for the info @FinStar ! I know it's on me for letting it go so long without activity, but I sure wish they'd have sent some kind of warning.

Message 5 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@mkhan1093 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Good to know thanks for the info @FinStar ! I know it's on me for letting it go so long without activity, but I sure wish they'd have sent some kind of warning.

It's always a good practice to generate some sort of activity at least every six months or so, like an Amazon reload, a virtual GC or a convenience store purchase to avoid instances like this one because in the majority of cases, there is no warning.  Some lenders (key word 'some') are proactive and will notify in advance, but it's still up to the cardholder to stay on top of things, especially when there's prolonged inactivity.   Sorry that it happened that way @mkhan1093 

Message 6 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
 Some lenders (key word 'some') are proactive and will notify in advance, but it's still up to the cardholder to stay on top of things, especially when there's prolonged inactivity.   

My guess why most lenders don't warn is that it doesn't really drive useful behavior.   People just make a small purchase to keep the card and then nothing until the next notification.   That's not so different from people here making small purchases every six months on their own, but doesn't take issuer resources!  (Plus, probably do it more frequently)

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.