cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Credit Card closed without my consent!!

Forkball88

Best Buy Credit Card closed without my consent!!

I recently went to try to log onto my Best Buy store card account online but when I did I was not able to. A message alerted me to call customer service because my account had been 're-evaluated'. When I did wind up calling the representative told me that my account had been 'inactive' and was therefore deactivated. She said that it was not closed but that if I wanted to use my card again I would have to RE-APPLY for the credit card.

I told her that was ridiculous and that how could they close my credit without notification? She said that my credit account had not been closed but 'inactiviated'. Yet she still insisted that I had to reapply for the card which is completely ludicrous. Why should I have to re apply for a card that I already have?

Is this legal? What steps do I need to take to maintain my good credit rating?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Best Buy Credit Card closed without my consent!!

They can do anything they want.
I guess this goes to show you you should use your card atleast 1 every 6 months if even for a pack of gum.
if you reapply they might only do soft inquiry to re-open account since it's not totally closed out
Message 2 of 6
Sylviatob
Senior Contributor

I agree. That's just plain silly.

Good luck on re-applying if you choose to do so.
"Never ever, ever be late. Never" (FUTR)
Message 3 of 6
Brammy
Moderator Emeritus

When was the last time you used the card?  Most will closed due to inactivity.  I think Circuit City is 36 mos with no activity.  Not sure about BB but I don't have to worry about that one going inactive...lol!!
Message 4 of 6
netpanther
Valued Contributor

I hate BB as much as Fused hates Sears- however this can happen with any card.

Sorry.
Message 5 of 6
jaybee
Valued Contributor

Companies keep track of how much credit they have for people to readily take advantage of. In order for them to cut some of their risk down they close inactive cards.

My Saks card was closed due to inactivity but then you have other cards like my cooper tire (which I forgot I had) that I hadn't used at all for 5 yrs and they never touched it and its still opened. Now that I think about it I might need to use it to get my tires balanced or something.
If at first you don't succeed... hang up and try again!!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.