Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Buy Credit Card

A while ago I made a post asking if it would be wise if I should apply for a card, but it seemed that I didn’t have the proper information.

I would like to apply for a BestBuy Credit Card.
Currently, my experience Fico score is 719.
I do have 5 inquiries this year (I didn’t really understand how lenders pulled credit).

Would it be wise to apply for the card?
I have just one card (through my bank) with a limit of $1000, and I usually keep it around 20% or less.

What do you think?
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Buy Credit Card

I would imagine you will get approved with your score. Try to get the Visa one so you can use it anywhere, instead of just at BB. I got mine over ten years ago with scores a lil lower than yours.

Message 2 of 12
marty56
Super Contributor

It is backed by Citibank and I would go for the store card if you intend to shop there since you could get 10% cashback as store credit for a major purchase on first use.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Best Buy normally offers you the choice between the Visa card or the store card. Honestly with only one credit card, if approved, i would take the Visa as you can use it anywhere and they often have quarterly rewards offers that range from gas, entertainment , restaurants, shopping. I hardly use mine but for an avid Best Buy shopper, its a good card to have. High apr though. You should be ok but please remember Citi can sometimes be fickle with alot of inquiries in a 6 month span. Good luckSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Greetings! I say go for it....

I was in Best Buy on 9/4/2018 buying a new Chromebook and app'd for their card, I had my choice between the Visa or the store card. I took the Visa; it came with a $8500 spending limit, which I tried to recon once activated to $12k but Citi wasn't having it. The card took 10 days to arrive.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi auto-upgraded ours from the store card to a VISA that is supposed to ship in early October.  Haven't really looked at the benfits, etc to see if it's going to see any wallet-time or if it lives in the sock drawer.  Just bought a couple of TVs for the new house on the store card, don't have much use for it other than that.

Message 6 of 12
xaximus
Valued Contributor

I'm going to go against the grain here and recommend getting another card before going for Citi. Your score isn't bad but without knowing AAoA and a few other things, it's hard to gauge which way this can go. I would check prequal's with Amex and Discover to see what you can get. Your utilization is definitely hitting your scores a bit so with another card, it should bring it down significantly.

Good luck!

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved 5 years ago with a CLI of $1000 with a 602, They didnt blink an Eye. Havent got a CLI incrase though Smiley Frustrated 

Message 8 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Credit is so different now in comparison to 5 years ago. One has to go with whats happening now to better their odds of approval.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just want to share some data. . .I applied for it in May, at the time my scores were just above 700 across the board. I was denied and the sole reason listed was too many inquires. I only had 3 in the past year, so I was a little surprised. AAoA was almost 5 years (2 installment loans, 2 revolving accounts) and no baddies. Income around $36,000/year.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.