Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Rejection

tag
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

Re: Best Buy Rejection

I had some what the same situation, I applied online for BB card and it gave me a message saying they needed for information, when I called in tey also said that they needed verification. They said the reason I got denied was because there was a fraud alert setup on my credit which means I can't get instant approval unless I take the fraud alert off.

Message 21 of 48
lithium78
Established Contributor

I have had the Gold BB MC ever since I started rebuilding years ago.  It's been stuck at a $900 CL for four years now and the only reason I keep it is for the AAoA because Cap1 refunds the AF for me.  It's a terrible card and I have much, much better rewards cards these days.  I don't know why anyone would really need it.  Best Buy isn't even a very good store anymore.  You can get much better deals on quality electronics elsewhere (like Amazon).  These days, I mostly use Best Buy as a demo showroom for buying online.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 48
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:

I have had the Gold BB MC ever since I started rebuilding years ago.  It's been stuck at a $900 CL for four years now and the only reason I keep it is for the AAoA because Cap1 refunds the AF for me.  It's a terrible card and I have much, much better rewards cards these days.  I don't know why anyone would really need it.  Best Buy isn't even a very good store anymore.  You can get much better deals on quality electronics elsewhere (like Amazon).  These days, I mostly use Best Buy as a demo showroom for buying online.

Yeah, I think i cancelled mine this year or last year when i finally got NFCU if im not mistaken. Was stuck at $500.00

Plus, I never shopped at BB anyway, I prefer Amazon and i love the card.

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 23 of 48
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Yes this thread is pretty misunderstood. this is what it says on the Application :

When you submit your application below, we will first consider you for a Reward Zone® Platinum MasterCard. Based on your creditworthiness, if you do not qualify for this product, we will automatically consider you for the Reward Zone Credit Card, which is a private label card.

The Best Buy Platinum credit card is he highest out of all the other credit cards.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 24 of 48
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

So much misinformation in this thread...

The highest tier would be the Best Buy RewardZone Platinum MasterCard. This is the hardest to qualify for, and has a lower rate than the store cards plus it has more benefits and services without an AF. There is also a prime tier Gold MC with $0 AF but the majority are probably issued with $39 or $59 AF. Finally, all BB card products including RZMC qualify for the various 6/18/24 month 0% offers. I agree that it it a very weird product matrix.

+1 Everybody was way off. Glad you straightened things out for them

Also, I want to say the short AAoA was BS. I have under 2 years of history and a very low AAoA (well under the reported 1 year minimum). Yet I have the no AF store card with a $4,000 limit. Which is harder to get than the fee based mastercards.

If I apply again I will automatically get the MC since I already have the store card. I am building my credit up to get the no AF plat card. Right now all I would get is the $59 card with a $300 limit (INQ and new account sensitive).

Also, keep in mind the MC only gives you 1 point per $2 spent outside of Best Buy. 

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 25 of 48
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Maybe there was a plat mc before the cap1 buyout but in the application now it just says "if we cannot approve you for a best buy store card you will autpmatically be considered for a gold mastercard with a fee." Nothing about a platinum, and the mastercard fees range from $39-$59

Unless we're just not cool enough Smiley Sad

The plat is the first card listed under the terms when applying.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 26 of 48
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@WhiteCollar wrote:

As a RZMC holder I can tell you that I get the exact 0% financing offers  just like the Best Buy Store card provides. I also have a 4% cash back option, I know the store card does not offer that. My APR is 18.9% which is much lower than the store card. I PIF each month unless I use a special 0% financing offer. I only use the card at Best Buy Stores. When I was first solicited for the card via mail, it did say something about credit building. Upon approval in 2010, my CL was $1,500. I received a CL about 2 months ago and now its $2,500. There is a $59 AF however, it was waiver for me this year by request. 

I really did not think this was a difficult card to obtain, I was under the impression that tge store card was harder.Maybe because they came looking for me I think differently. This card be prime or subprime to me. Before Cap one took it over from HSBC, I compared it to the a Cap One product. But now b/c Cap One now owns this card and I'm not a big fan of them, I'm considering getting an Amazon Store card. I here you get CLI every 4 months and they have 0% financing offers for 6, 9, 12 months. 

The store card offers the same 4% "cash" back.

Message 27 of 48
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Me too... That's the only one I've ever seen people be approved for- the gold with the $59 AF.
I just remember being told by the clerk at BB that I couldn't do the 0% with the MC. That was in 2009.
Furthermore, I have the Amazon store card, and it's great, esp for getting 0% on my schoool books :-). AND after two months, I got an auto-increase from $1,200-$1,900!

Clerk was wrong then, and would still be wrong now.

Message 28 of 48
Hammer23
Frequent Contributor

I have had nothing but a great experience with my BBRZMC. I have the Gold and it carries a $39 annual fee. I opened the account in March of 2010 with a $750 limit (1 year post BK7) I recieved an auto increase to $1050 at 6 months. I called and requested a CLI at a year and was taken to $1570. At 18 months I requested another CLI and was taken to $2350. They also waived the last years AF upon request. They use foreign based customer service, but they are always helpful and pleasant to me. 

I found the points accumulation from using this card with Best Buy to be pretty good. I usually wind up with a couple hundred in certificates every year. Best Buy also kicks me up to Premier Silver, which gives you 60 day returns, and no re stock fees. This is pretty awesome and kicks Amazon's rear. I have even found the local Best Buy will match Amazon's price for me if I ask. 

Hope this helps. 

WF Home Projects Visa $8500 / Towpath CU Visa $7000 / Chase Freedom Visa $5500 / Cap 1 QS Visa Sig $5000 / Barclaycard Ring MC $5000 / GE Lowes $5000 / Citi Best Buy MC $4250 / Barclaycard Rewards Visa $4000 / BFG CU Visa $3500 / Citi Sears$3000 / WF Visa $2000 / GE Walmart $1900 / GE Care Credit $1900 / GE Amazon $1400 / Cap 1 Kohls $1000 / GE Old Navy $800 / Webbank Fingerhut $700
Message 29 of 48
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Hammer23 wrote:

I have had nothing but a great experience with my BBRZMC. I have the Gold and it carries a $39 annual fee. I opened the account in March of 2010 with a $750 limit (1 year post BK7) I recieved an auto increase to $1050 at 6 months. I called and requested a CLI at a year and was taken to $1570. At 18 months I requested another CLI and was taken to $2350. They also waived the last years AF upon request. They use foreign based customer service, but they are always helpful and pleasant to me. 

I found the points accumulation from using this card with Best Buy to be pretty good. I usually wind up with a couple hundred in certificates every year. Best Buy also kicks me up to Premier Silver, which gives you 60 day returns, and no re stock fees. This is pretty awesome and kicks Amazon's rear. I have even found the local Best Buy will match Amazon's price for me if I ask. 

Hope this helps. 

I have has similar great experiences. Nice rewards, great prices, and generous CLI's.

Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.