Did you mean: 

Best Buy Rejection

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Best Buy Rejection

@iMacDrew wrote:

hmm very interesting

Yeah, almost all store cards (so long as both the store and visa/mastercard/discover/amex versions are offered by the same lender) will consier you for both. They usually consider you first for the regular version, and if you don't qualify they'll give you the store version. Cap1 just likes to make things difficult. A lot of people get excited because they get approved for the "MasterCard" version and assume "OMG I got the MC" and don't realize it has more lenient requirements and a large AF attached. 

Message 11 of 48
praise123
Contributor

adjust applied for the BB Storecard after going on an application spree. I was accepted with a limit of 1250 but Ididn't run into problems. I had a low limit so I called for an increase and got 250 more.  I would call the back door number.

Message 12 of 48
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

From the threads I've read, the BB can't be referred to as a rebuilder card considering how hard it is to get.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 48
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I got approved for the BB MC a couple of years ago with a $500 limit, once they asked if I accepted the AF, I said no and had them cancel the account asap... Never showed on my CR and the inquiry has since fallen off. It is weird that BB store credit is more difficult to obtain, but remember...HSBC/Cap1 is the subprime backer of the BBMC, I think at least haha.

I just don't believe in credit cards with AFs! Ugh
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 14 of 48
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Also... I'm pretty sure only the BB store card, not the MC, has the 0% for like 12,18,24, 36+ months.
So the MC doesn't have the 0% promos! Grrr!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 15 of 48
mxp114
Valued Contributor

So much misinformation in this thread...

The highest tier would be the Best Buy RewardZone Platinum MasterCard. This is the hardest to qualify for, and has a lower rate than the store cards plus it has more benefits and services without an AF. There is also a prime tier Gold MC with $0 AF but the majority are probably issued with $39 or $59 AF. Finally, all BB card products including RZMC qualify for the various 6/18/24 month 0% offers. I agree that it it a very weird product matrix.

Message 16 of 48
Jlu
Established Contributor

When I said "I would consider yourself lucky you didn't get approved. This is a rebuilder card with little growth potential and a high AF. Your scores should qualify you for much better choices."

I was speaking of the Cap1/HSBC backed RZMC w/ $59 AF.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 17 of 48
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Maybe there was a plat mc before the cap1 buyout but in the application now it just says "if we cannot approve you for a best buy store card you will autpmatically be considered for a gold mastercard with a fee." Nothing about a platinum, and the mastercard fees range from $39-$59

Unless we're just not cool enough Smiley Sad

Message 18 of 48
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

As a RZMC holder I can tell you that I get the exact 0% financing offers  just like the Best Buy Store card provides. I also have a 4% cash back option, I know the store card does not offer that. My APR is 18.9% which is much lower than the store card. I PIF each month unless I use a special 0% financing offer. I only use the card at Best Buy Stores. When I was first solicited for the card via mail, it did say something about credit building. Upon approval in 2010, my CL was $1,500. I received a CL about 2 months ago and now its $2,500. There is a $59 AF however, it was waiver for me this year by request. 

I really did not think this was a difficult card to obtain, I was under the impression that tge store card was harder.Maybe because they came looking for me I think differently. This card be prime or subprime to me. Before Cap one took it over from HSBC, I compared it to the a Cap One product. But now b/c Cap One now owns this card and I'm not a big fan of them, I'm considering getting an Amazon Store card. I here you get CLI every 4 months and they have 0% financing offers for 6, 9, 12 months. 

Message 19 of 48
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Me too... That's the only one I've ever seen people be approved for- the gold with the $59 AF.
I just remember being told by the clerk at BB that I couldn't do the 0% with the MC. That was in 2009.
Furthermore, I have the Amazon store card, and it's great, esp for getting 0% on my schoool books :-). AND after two months, I got an auto-increase from $1,200-$1,900!
Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.