cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Visa (Citi retail) - Will it ever grow?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Buy Visa (Citi retail) - Will it ever grow?

Hey All, 

I was wondering if anyone had personal success or anectodal evidence of the Best buy Visa growing. It seems most reports require a Hard Pull? which I am not keen on. And I have also not seen a lot of auto CLI's either.

It is interesting that other citi retail cards (Macy's/Bloomingdales) grow like wild fire with no HP but Best buy is the exception to the rule. Am I missing something or mistaken? I have been at $500SL since opening (11/5/2017) and score has improved >100 points since that time with macys and bloomingdales both recieving huge increases with sp. 

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Best Buy Visa (Citi retail) - Will it ever grow?

Actually, Macy's and Bloomingdales are the exception to the HP rule as they are managed by DSNB but backed by Citi (and even the language is the same on the websites stating that you agree that a credit report will be pulled, which gave me pause but I just got a huge CLI on my Macy's card with no HP).  The Best Buy cards are CBNA cards, like Home Depot, Shell, etc.  I am an AU on a circa-1995 Best Buy card (originally HSBC then CapOne then Citi) and it never grew from the original $2000 limit until we took the HP and asked for $10,000 on it.

Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, for sure it won't grow if you're not using it.

HP = more access

Amazon sells the same stuff and grows more easily.

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean I actually do use it. Not a month has passed since having the card that I did not atleast put a small transaction on it I also carried quite a large balance on it for a while due to very little knowledge about credit until recently.

Are luv button increases (or call in) SP then? If I don't need a huge increase or more access as you put it.

And I agree, Got a hefty increase from Amazon in September so looking forward to trying again in December. I just bumped my Discover out of the Hundred's this morning so now Best buy Visa is my only "non-store card" that has not breeched the $1k mark.

Any advice?

@Anonymous 

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston 

Congrats on the Macy's increase!!! And that is interesting, I had not previously made that distinction between the card servicers. It is tricky because as you mentioned, everything down to the online portal looks similar. 

To be fair tho, the language on macy's/bloomingdales online has always made me averse to using the luv button. I only do call in CLI requests with those cards and repeatedly confirm no HP. It looks like for you the HP was worth it, I am afraid a HP would yield another $500 for me so... I guess sock drawer it is.

Anyone know if calling in could avoid a HP? Or should I just use and PIF a little and hope for Auto one day. I am in no rush of course but just curious as I watch my other cards grow.

Message 5 of 26
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

From experience with many attempts on my Home Depot card (finally gave up and got a Lowe's card instead), a call will always be a HP. 

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the heads up! 

I might actually close this card... 

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, personally I would probably do an inventory of cards / limits / age and start culling the heard a bit.  Afterall you do now have a 12K Amex in the lineup but, also alot of clutter hanging around.

Store cards get you going but, the flip side is they hurt your insurance scores and cost you more on that side.  Unless a store card w/ or w/o V/MC on it actually produces some good value then it's off to the chopping block.  

Right now I'm sitting at 22 cards and only 1 of them is a store card and I keep it because it's tied to my Sam's Membership and it doesn't cost me anything to hold it and offers 5% on gas at any station.  Its also got some age to it that helps the other numbers and it's 25K just sitting mostly as a backup at this point though.

Message 8 of 26
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Auto luv is very rare. This card wont grow on its on. Hp or bust, thats just the way it isSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 26
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Off topic, but @AverageJoesCredit I'm guessing CBNA Sears is the same way, no CLI w/o a HP?

I had a Best Buy Visa, closed it a couple years ago, my PayPal 2% MC with lots of auto CLIs or SP CLI is a better deal then Best Buy's silly rewards program and Citi's HP for any CLI.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.