Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy for non-frequent shoppers?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Buy for non-frequent shoppers?

Is the Best Buy card worth it if you're not a frequent shopper?  I probably only shop there twice a year and nothing too expensive..it's not like I'm the type that needs a new TV every 2 years. I was wondering if it'd be worth it in events like a fried laptop since they're always offering 6 months 0% financing on certain purchases. I know of someone that had the card years ago and it got closed because he never used it but things might've changed since then. Do people just buy something stupid with the card every few months like a bottle of water to show usage?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Best Buy for non-frequent shoppers?

A store card isn't always the best card to use at that store.

I probably shop at Best Buy once every 6 months or so. Citi Double Cash gives me a good extended warranty, price protection, and 2% back with no AF.

There's usually no bonus if you apply directly for the card, though.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

If you apply you dont even have to take the store card. Most times they offer the choice between the store card and the Visa which can be used everywhere. The Visa does actually offer rotating reward cats outside of Best Buy so for some that's a win win.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I usually use an Amex or Citi DC for warranty extension on anything important from Bestbuy. I looked into their card but fails in most every way except for the "6 months 0%" thing.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I concur with the other comments. There are so many better choices to use for purchases at BestBuy. Warranty extensions and rewards usually are more important than the 0% financing for six months. Not always. As for usage... if you are using it a few times a year, chances are they won't close your account. They are on the lookout for dormant accounts, usually a year of inactivity or more.

Message 5 of 8
Five6Two
Frequent Contributor

I've enjoyed their financing promo deals, usually 6, 12, 18 or 24 months deferred interest. I've had the card almost 2 years and have used it maybe a dozen times. Current paying off an 18 month promo (expires in June of 2020) for a $130 balance (originally $516)...I could PIF but might as well throw extra cash at other debt. 

Siggy under construction Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 8
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

I got the Visa best buy card , haven't had any issues . I like there 0% promos.

Message 7 of 8
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

To me, it works to have a Best Buy store card, so I can always take advantage of the zero interest APR.  I use it probably once a year. 

Guyatthebeach. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.