Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy store card w/Capital One

tag
Weights
Regular Contributor

Best Buy store card w/Capital One

I have read plenty of stories about Capital One's often customer disservice.  However, I see that they offer different tiers of Best Buy store cards depending on your credit history that you can use for promotional financing w/Best Buy purchases. I'm wondering for those who've applied and qualified for the no fee Rewardzone Mastercard, what kind of history/score did you have, and what was your limit? I'm trying to decide if it'd be worth applying for or not. 

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Weights
Regular Contributor

Re: Best Buy store card w/Capital One

Oh, and for those who didn't qualify for the no fee Rewardzone Mastercard, what were you offered, and what was your score/history w/accompining limit?

Message 2 of 41
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Weights wrote:

Oh, and for those who didn't qualify for the no fee Rewardzone Mastercard, what were you offered, and what was your score/history w/accompining limit?

I got approved for the no fee non-mc store card. 1200 limit which was CLI'd to 3000 a couple months later. I had about 6 months credit history at the time.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 41
HiHiHiHiHiHi
New Contributor

My brother was approved for the store card. 680 credit score, 2 chargeoffs, 600 credit limit.

Scores: EQ-798 EX-802 TU-786

CC: |Amex PRG - NPSL| |Citi Simplicity - 22.6K| |CapOne No Hassle Rewards - 20K| |Chase Freedom 17.5K| |CSP 15K| |Discover IT - 7.8K| |Discover More - 6.1K| |GE PC Richard - 4.5K| |Amex Delta Gold - 3.5K| |Citi Goodyear - 2.5K| |CapOne Kohls - 1.5K| |GAP - 1.5K| |Macy's Amex - 1K| |Ann Taylor - 0.5K| |NY&C - 0.5K|
Message 4 of 41
beb86
Valued Contributor

Best Buy is kinda backwards when it comes to that...there BBRZMC is usually the sub-prime version, while there store card is the better version....the had a prime version of the BBRZMC but im not sure if you can still get it...its the plat version as compared to the gold that sub-prime....the even had a gold with no AF that was a step above the regular version. 

Message 5 of 41
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@beb86 wrote:

Best Buy is kinda backwards when it comes to that...there BBRZMC is usually the sub-prime version, while there store card is the better version....the had a prime version of the BBRZMC but im not sure if you can still get it...its the plat version as compared to the gold that sub-prime....the even had a gold with no AF that was a step above the regular version. 

They still have the plat version, just not many examples of people who get it.

They told me the way to get it was. Apply and get the store card. Then apply again for the plat MC.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 6 of 41
beb86
Valued Contributor

we used to have a nifty little thread "Pictures of your plastic" which was awesome and there were a few BBRZMC plats on there and some had pay pass and everything...but it was like seeing bigfoot haha 

Message 7 of 41
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

The no-fee BBRZMC is not easy to obtain. Very few ppl here have it. My EQ Fico was 740 @ time of approval and i have near perfect 6+ year credit history and i got the store card with $3k starting limit. 

Also, i'm pretty sure all the cards offer the same promo rates no matter which card you get. Kind of hard to try for the card cause they don't give you a option when you apply.

Message 8 of 41
mxp114
Valued Contributor

The card process has always been the same, only now CapitalOne has made the matrix public. The consideration tiers are in this order: RZMC Platinum $0 AF, RZMC Gold $0 AF, Store Card, RZMC Gold $39-$59 AF. I had RZMC Gold $500 last year, I had one collection reported and after it was deleted in Sept 2011, I applied again and got the RZMC Platinum. I think at the time my score was roughly 740-750s.

Message 9 of 41
Weights
Regular Contributor

which credit bureau(s) did Capital one pull? I know they tend to pull all three, but wondered if it's different when applying for a Best Buy card.

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.