Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best CC for Balance Transfers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best CC for Balance Transfers

Looking for a good CC to apply for a balance transfer (Just not BOA). I do not care for the terms that Chase is attempting to go to for their CCs so I am looking to transfer a balance of about $4K. I was hoping to transfer to my AMEX card, but it says I don't have an offer for a balance transfer so I am looking for a different one. My Fico scores 780's for TransUnion and Experian, 720's for Equifax (not sure why they want to lag behind the other two lol). 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Best CC for Balance Transfers

I like DiscoverIT for BTs because you can have the funds directly deposited into your checking account to do with what you want. The fee is 3%. There are some cards with 0% BT fee if done within 60 days but I can't remember offhand which ones. 

Someone else will be along shortly and can provide info on some more BT cards. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 12
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Discover It is an excellent BT card. Also, there’s the Citi Simplicity or the Amex Everyday. Since you already have an Amex, it might be even just a SP. Good luck!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

NFCU or a comenity major have the best bt offers available imo.. NFCU obviously got to be eligable for membership and comenity come around one or twice a year.  both have 0 bt fee and either a really low arp 0 or 1.99 for 12 to 18 months.  With that said they don't start at as persay a great bt card those offers come in time.  

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Platinum. 0% APR for 12 months with no fee.

Discover has their Discover It Balance Transfer card which has 18 months at 0% with a 3% fee.

US Bank Platinum has 20 months 0% with 3% fee.

Credit unions are your best bet - check local CUs to see what they’re offering.
Message 5 of 12
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

The 3 non-credit union cards with 0% BT fees for the first 60 days are BankAmericard, Amex Everyday and Chase Slate. All three have 15 month APRs of 0% on purchases and BTs.

I spoke to a Chase CSR the other day and asked if I got a Slate with a relatively low SL and was unable to get it raised appreciably with a second chance call, could I transfer credit from my other two cards to the Slate and have a higher CL for accepting large balance transfers from other cards. He said yes. I suppose the other two Banks would permit the same thing.
Message 6 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@kshurika wrote:
The 3 non-credit union cards with 0% BT fees for the first 60 days are BankAmericard, Amex Everyday and Chase Slate. All three have 15 month APRs of 0% on purchases and BTs.

I spoke to a Chase CSR the other day and asked if I got a Slate with a relatively low SL and was unable to get it raised appreciably with a second chance call, could I transfer credit from my other two cards to the Slate and have a higher CL for accepting large balance transfers from other cards. He said yes. I suppose the other two Banks would permit the same thing.

Just keep in mind that a minimum of $500 must remain on their cards when reallocating, so you also want to be mindful of any balances on those cards so UT stays <28.9%. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 12
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Your best shot to get a card with a big enough balance that 4K won't blow up your utilization is to go with one of the AmEx cards, Cash Magnet maybe. Unless AmEx is one of the balances that you want to transfer.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone. I tried for two cards, US Bank Platinum and Citi Simplicity. Got both cards approved for $4,500 and $9,000 respectively. So all set. Appreciate all the suggestions. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations. This is great!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.