Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best CC's?

tag
LavishSpending
Valued Member

Re: Best CC's?

Of course the value of these cards depends on your particular goals and overall situation, but here's what I like right now.

• AMEX BCE for 3% groceries. That is until I add a BCP or two for 6% groceries. I would get two since they are capped at $6K per year. Waiting on next app time. The AMEX offers are very nice for things like $5 back on $25 spend at select resturants, but I end up not catching them at the right time.
  • Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature for 5% Amazon.com, and I'm spending much more at Amazon now and liking it a lot. Plus the 2% at restaurants and gas is nice and getting used many times weekly.
  • Barclay Rewards for autopay on utilities for 2%. Plus it's also good for %2 gas and a backup for 2% groceries. This one is getting less usage these days though due to other cards. Plus it doesn't work with Samsung Pay.
  • Capital One Quicksilver and Chase Freedom Unlimited for 1.5% for everything not covered by above. I like Cap1 360 for banking and their website too. Plus they helped me rebuild credit. Cap1 really is awesome, so they were my default for a 1.5% cash back. I don't think I can get a City DC right now. I had one as an AU though, and there are minor some customer service, website, and payment issues. It's still great card, but I may look for different 2-3% options when I'm ready to app for something better than 1.5% cash back depending on what is available.
  • I'm set with the above, but here are cards I may possibly add just to optimize things a little further. At some point, it's not worth the extra management for the relatively small portion of rewards though: I would get a Best Buy Visa for 6% again because I shop there (but next time the one without AF). 6% is only with Best Buy Elite Plus rewards standing, but I was hitting the $3,500/yr spend though. Also, it's only for in-store credit, so you have to like Best Buy. I would get one if I think I would spend enough again to maintain Elite Plus. They're getting major competition form Amazon.com plus the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa though now. Another card is maybe a Costco for 2% at Costco, 4% for gas, and 3% for restaurants.

Until something new comes out, that's a pretty solid lineup. I don't like messing with rotating categories with low max spend limits. Everything seems to be capped too much with rotating categories to be worth the extra effort, but maybe I'll do it one day. Overall the cards I hold have great web interfaces and all but the Barclay are supported in Samsung Pay. So far in my experience, I haven't had any customer service or feature issues with active cards. I did have customer service and payment issues with Best Buy, Citi DC, and First Progress, but those are now closed. I won't put up with any garbage for some rewards or whatever, but AMEX, Capital One, Barclay, and even Chase have been solid for me. I would deal with the occasional issue at times for a good card, but I haven't had any at all.

current limit and opened as of 12/20 - $104.25K cc TCL
AMEX BCP $26K 7/17 | AMEX BBP $19.5K 10/17 | AMEX Amazon Business Prime $12K 12/20
Cap1 QS $9.5K 7/17 | Chase FU $15.5K 8/17 | Amazon Prime Visa Sig $9.5K 10/17
PayPal Cashback MC $6K 12/20 | Barclaycard Rewards $5.5K 9/16 | Cap1 QS1 $750 9/16 (closed)
BB Visa $750 (closed) 8/16 | Cap1 Platinum Sec $750 (keeping oldest) 1/12 | First Progress Platinum Sec $300 6/14 (closed)
PNC $25K LOC | Payoff $25K loan - paying these down and keeping cards near $0
FICO 8 772 12/20 | 742 09/17 | 617 09/16 | ~540 in prior years
Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a few so-called "better cards" for different things but I tend to swipe the Quicksilver more than any. It's a solid daily driver with no hassle. It hasn't grown much, so my answer may be different in a few months now that I'm on the Disco train.
Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, its the Capital One Venture. Love the 2% back. It feels and looks good. Have gotten comments on it from vendors. I also think my Authorized User loves it. She doesn't want to give up for the PenFed Powercash that I just got. Smiley Happy I am going to hate to have to pc the card before the annual fee hits and start to use the Paypal or PowerCash instead.

Edited to Add: Also, Cap 1 was good to me after I burned them in my BK7. They let me back in and have treated me well since. 

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

My daily drivers are listed in my signature, but would like to add the NFCU AmX card. I just got it and it will definitely be one of my go to cards. 

Message 14 of 27
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

The two in my wallet.  See my signature.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm currently using the Paypal 2% Cashback for the majority of my purchases. I've also been using the Amazon Prime Rewards VS more for some purchases to see if Chase will give me an auto-CLI by the end of the year since I've read that Chase might like heavy usage.

However, once my Amex BCE and Penfed PCR arrive in the mail, I will most likely take advantage of their 0% intro rates and use them more than the Paypal or Amazon cards for the time being. Once the intro rates are done, most likely I will switch back to Paypal for the 2% Cashback on everything and have to decide what might be my second card I'll carry in my wallet.

The only downside to the Paypal 2% Casback is that its my highest APR rate at 16.99% compared to my other cards but that shouldn't be much of an issue since I pay in full.

Message 16 of 27
minski
Established Contributor

Blispay - I find it a unique card that offers you 0% APR with no payments for anything over $199 for 6 months AND 2% cash back. It only reports to EX so far. I currently only use it for certain expenses > $199. 

US Bank Cash+ - I like having the flexibility to choose which 2 categories get 5% cash back each quarter. It complements well with Chase Freedom and Discover. 

I was evaluating all of my credit cards and decided that if I were to just keep 3 cards in my wallet, I'd be keeping the above two as well as getting a Visa/MC cash rewards card with no FTF which is currently my NavyFed Cash Rewards card. 

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to is Fidelity visa. Until or if USAA Limitless is available in my state. BoA I charge enough to get the quaterly $20 or $25. Amazon Prime 5% for Amazon purchases. The rest are keep alives.

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

BCP and Discover It for sure.
Message 19 of 27
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

BANK CARDS:  Venture and QuickSilver for me.

2% back on everything, 1.5% back on everything, 0% for 18 months with 2% fee offers.

Simple, no rotating catagories, no minimums, no maximums.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STORE CARDS:  Amazon and Lowes.

5% discount and 0% offers.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.