Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best CCs for Travel Abroad (Europe)

tag
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

Best CCs for Travel Abroad (Europe)

Can anyone share their experiences good & bad?

Starting Score: FICO TU 591 FICO EX 581 FICO EQ 555
Current Score: FICO TU 662 FICO EX 652 FICO EQ 643
Goal Score: 700 CLUB

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge NFCU nRewards $20K Cap1 Secured $500 NFCU LOC $15K TJX $250 BOA $500
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Best CCs for Travel Abroad (Europe)

Since you already have a card with NFCU, you could PC that to one of the cards with no foreign transaction fees.  Or just apply for a second NFCU card.  Both Flagship and GoRewards offer no fees outside of the USA.  Flagship does have an annual fee, though, and the rewards are not really that special.

Aside from that, you might be able to get a card with Capital One.  Those don't have foreign transaction fees either.

My current main cards for use in Europe are the BoA Travel Rewards and the Chase Sapphire Preferred.  The Travel Rewards is like a Quicksilver, 1.5% on everything.  And I use the CSP for my travel and dining expenses.  I like the fact that they have EMV chips, even if only chip and signature, because this at least saves me from having to explain  that "i have a swipe card" and hand my card to the merchant before every transaction.  Though few and far between, I have been to some places that don't even have a reader to process a swipe card.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 6
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Anything with no foreign transaction fee will likely suffice.  Other than that, we don't know your spending habits or what you want to do with rewards, so it is hard to recommend a card for you.

Message 3 of 6
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

Since you already have a card with NFCU, you could PC that to one of the cards with no foreign transaction fees.  Or just apply for a second NFCU card.  Both Flagship and GoRewards offer no fees outside of the USA.  Flagship does have an annual fee, though, and the rewards are not really that special.

Aside from that, you might be able to get a card with Capital One.  Those don't have foreign transaction fees either.

My current main cards for use in Europe are the BoA Travel Rewards and the Chase Sapphire Preferred.  The Travel Rewards is like a Quicksilver, 1.5% on everything.  And I use the CSP for my travel and dining expenses.  I like the fact that they have EMV chips, even if only chip and signature, because this at least saves me from having to explain  that "i have a swipe card" and hand my card to the merchant before every transaction.  Though few and far between, I have been to some places that don't even have a reader to process a swipe card.

Yes But that capital one cards can be useless depending on what parts of Europe he or she is visiting and I would say even a Citi Thank you preferred card is much better even with the 3% FTF then any capital one card. If OP is staying in tourist areas then it should be fine for 95% of the time but if your going to venture out side of tourist area you might only find EMV chip readers. Personally I would say the CSP is perfect . No AF for the first year and has 0% FTF. OP can always PC it to the Chase sapphire before the AF hits  or the Freedom.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 4 of 6
amakol
Regular Contributor

Just returned from a couple weeks in Spain yesterday. Based off my experience, Barclays Arrival+ is really all you need. The chip with sig was enough for 99% of transactions - cabs, restaurants, ticket offices, hotels, souvenir shops, etc. The fact that it was MC made it accepted anywhere credit cards were taken. Then for unattended kiosks like gas stations and metro stations, the PIN worked flawlessly. I had to use a PIN maybe 5 times and there was never a problem.

Of course, several places were cash only so a debit card was a must as well, and it's wise to have a backup card just in case but the Arrival+ was the only CC I used for the entire trip. So convenient, and without any extra forex fees.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 5 of 6
AzaleaB
Established Contributor

My experience with Barclay Arrival+ was the same as boneheads. I have been traveling through France and Germany. I used it for everything and the pin works fine for unattended kiosks although it defaults to signature in stores and restaurants. The only problem has been unattended gas stations in remote areas that don't accept any US cards - only European credit cards. 

I

Starting Score: EX:570, 8/2011
Current
Scores(8/30/18):
EX08:850; EQ08:850,
TU08:847
Inqs(12 mo): EX/0, EQ/0, TU/0
Goal Scores: 800+
My Cards: BoA Rewards: 30K, Discover IT: 50K, Arrival : 13.3K, CDP: 30.1K, Amex PRG, Amex ED: 22.5K, Amex BCP: 20K, FU: 21K, CSR: 35K, Amazon Store: 20K, Macys:10K, Diners Club:40K
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.