Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Card for Hotel Stays

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Card for Hotel Stays

I will be switching over to personal card use for business expenses with my employer. I travel around 30 weeks a year and typically stay in Marriott properties (just switched from Hilton). I have my flights and meals covered with my AMEX gold, however hotel spend is not rewarded well with that card.

I’ve looked at the 2 AMEX Marriott cards (personal & business), but am not sure that’s the best route either. I don’t think I can make the AF on the personal work outside of the SUB. I also don’t know that I want to put all my eggs in one basket with Marriott either. Any suggestions on a good card to pair with my Gold for these hotel stays?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Card for Hotel Stays

If you want to stay in the Marriott basket, the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (stupid name) gives you most of the benefits of the AMEX version. Glaring exceptions are no $300 Marriott credit, no automatic Gold status, and a reduced reward certificate value, however, there is only a $95 AF.  I will point out that with the $300 Marriott credit, the effective AF on the AMEX version is only $50 more.

https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/marriott-boundless?iCELL=6H3Z

If you're looking to avoid the Marriott branded cards, you have a few more options.  The following options come to mind:

• Chase Sapphire Reserve
  • NFCU Flagship Rewards
  • PenFed Pathfinder
  • Citi Premier
  • WF Propel
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred (only 2X but UR points can be valuable)
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input Zoom. I didn’t take into account the $300 Marriott Credit. That one may make the most sense. I am over 5/24, so Chase is out. Would be great if AMEX had a better MR earning card for hotels.
Message 3 of 19
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the input Zoom. I didn’t take into account the $300 Marriott Credit. That one may make the most sense. I am over 5/24, so Chase is out. Would be great if AMEX had a better MR earning card for hotels.

FWIW, Platinum gives 5x for prepaid hotels booked via the Amex Travel website.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 19
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:  I will be switching over to personal card use for business expenses with my employer. I travel around 30 weeks a year and typically stay in Marriott properties (just switched from Hilton). I’ve looked at the 2 AMEX Marriott cards ... but ... don’t think I can make the AF on the personal work outside of the SUB.

I know you said you're over 5/24 for Chase but once you qualify, I'd really consider that Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Visa from Chase.  I got it recently more for the SUB and not sure I will keep it longterm but I wouldn't hesitate if I was a frequent Marriott guest.  For one thing, you get a free night annually so it pays the $95 AF right off the bat!  Plus you get automatic upgrade to Silver Elite status and 6x points on Marriott stays and purchases.  The Points Guy values Marriott points at 8/10 cent per point, so that is effective reward rate of 4.8%! 

If you're looking for flexibility (which I was too), I'd suggest the previously-mentioned Chase Sapphire Reserve as soon as you qualify to apply.  A great card.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 5 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Edited: due to to my error of tired speed reading. goofed again!

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007, OP said he was switching away from Hilton. Otherwise, Surpass or Aspire would definitely be a no-brainer.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't venture one gives you 10x miles on hotels.com? Seems like the best option for hotels only.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Altitude Reserve also gives you 3 points per dollar spent on hotels if. Points are worth a flat 1.5 cent too.

Not sure why this card doesn’t get much love here.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t think the AR is suffering from a lack of love for what it is. It seems it’s a difficult card to acquire and being beyond the reach of most of the forum probably keeps it off center stage in these discussions.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.