Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Card for Sam's Club?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Card for Sam's Club?

I'm not opposed to points as I have personal Amex cards that earn points. That being said, I don't get crazy value out of points as I fly domestic 99% of the time.
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

US Bank Altitude Reserve, 4.5% year-round for travel with mobile payment. Smiley Very Happy

Sam's Club does not accept mobile wallet payments like apple pay or samsung pay making the Altitude Reserve not ideal for use at Sam's Club. 

Sam's Club doesn't accept mobile wallets that depend on NFC, but Samsung Pay w/ MST does work.  I use Samsung pay (with my Altitude Reserve) there regularly. 

FWIW, the Sam's locations I've been to use the same Ingenico PIN pads as Walmart.  The Ingenico terminals aren't quite as easy to use w/ Samsung Pay's MST as the ubiquitous Verifone PIN pads but they do work.

I guess it's a YMMV situation because people who get it to work initially end up having the payment denied and not being able to use mobile wallet payments.  That's an ongoing situation with Sam's Club and Walmart and since they flat out don't support mobile wallet payment systems and Altitude Reserve doesn't support walmart pay from what others have said on reddit and elsewhere.  

Message 12 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

US Bank Altitude Reserve, 4.5% year-round for travel with mobile payment. Smiley Very Happy

Sam's Club does not accept mobile wallet payments like apple pay or samsung pay making the Altitude Reserve not ideal for use at Sam's Club. 

Sam's Club doesn't accept mobile wallets that depend on NFC, but Samsung Pay w/ MST does work.  I use Samsung pay (with my Altitude Reserve) there regularly. 

FWIW, the Sam's locations I've been to use the same Ingenico PIN pads as Walmart.  The Ingenico terminals aren't quite as easy to use w/ Samsung Pay's MST as the ubiquitous Verifone PIN pads but they do work.

I guess it's a YMMV situation because people who get it to work initially end up having the payment denied and not being able to use mobile wallet payments.  That's an ongoing situation with Sam's Club and Walmart and since they flat out don't support mobile wallet payment systems and Altitude Reserve doesn't support walmart pay from what others have said on reddit and elsewhere.  

Possibly some have issues (MST can be clunky) but with a little finesse it does work on the Ingenico terminals.  If the PIN pad beeps and throws an error just keep holding the phone there and it will go through.  I have a 100% success rate at Sam's.

Some have reported an issue with Amex cards and SamPay at Sam's/Walmart where the first attempt gets a 'Declined' response but the second attempt is approved and I've had this happen as well (this is with all of my Amex cards, including my Propel so it's a WM issue).  The issue seems to be only with cards on the Amex network, though, and I've never had the problem with the Altitude.

Walmart Pay is another creature altogether.  What is not supported is the Altitude Reserve's 3x multiplier isn't triggered by Walmart Pay; it does work, though (the purchase is approved).  Of course for this discussion on Sam's Club that's moot anyway.

Message 13 of 16
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Possibly some have issues (MST can be clunky) but with a little finesse it does work on the Ingenico terminals.  If the PIN pad beeps and throws an error just keep holding the phone there and it will go through.  I have a 100% success rate at Sam's.

Some have reported an issue with Amex cards and SamPay at Sam's/Walmart where the first attempt gets a 'Declined' response but the second attempt is approved and I've had this happen as well (this is with all of my Amex cards, including my Propel so it's a WM issue).  The issue seems to be only with cards on the Amex network, though, and I've never had the problem with the Altitude.

Walmart Pay is another creature altogether.  What is not supported is the Altitude Reserve's 3x multiplier isn't triggered by Walmart Pay; it does work, though (the purchase is approved).  Of course for this discussion on Sam's Club that's moot anyway.

Samsung Pay can get a little tricky with some terminals. Once in a while, I get an error message, so I just try again. Aside from Walmart, it's also happened at Home Depot, but it always works after the second try (sometimes third).

There's just one place I couldn't get it to work. One of my doctor's office has this swiper with a USB cable connected to their computer. So, I challenged the lady that I could make a payment with my phone. She laughed and said, no way! This thing is ancient! After the third attempt, I just quit because it wouldn't process the payment. It wasn't giving an error or anything. It just wouldn't do anything. Then she gave me the ol' I-told-you-so look and I handed my card to her in defeat. Haha. 

Other than that, I've been using Samsung Pay for about 2 years everywhere I go - locally and abroad. USB probably hates me because mobile pay is the only type of charge I put on my AR.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

An Update! I picked up the BBVA Clear Points card as it had a SUB and Sam's codes as retail and can be selected for one of  their 3% (or 2%) catagories.

Message 15 of 16
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I am also looking for 3%-5% cashback or MR cards for Sam Club. For the moment, I use Discover (5% for wholesale clubs in Q2) and BOA Cash Rewards (3% --> online category).

Is there any suggestion for better rewards programs?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.