Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Card for a Student

tag
savmeformyse
Valued Member

Best Card for a Student

Okay I have been on a hunt for a credit card for students to help build my credit. I currently have orchard bank which I have had for 2 years with a limit of 500 Which is very annoying cause I can't get anything but maybe a book. I try very hard to pay my card each month below 9% which has brought my score to only 650 I was informed that the highest my score would be is maybe 660 670 and that I would need some other form of credit.  I am looking for a card that only pulls transunion since that's my highest score any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!Smiley Tongue

Starting Score: EQ: 583 TU: 623
Current Score: EQ: 624 TU: 701
Goal Score: Both Scores 680 Plus!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Card for a Student

@savmeformyse wrote:

Okay I have been on a hunt for a credit card for students to help build my credit. I currently have orchard bank which I have had for 2 years with a limit of 500 Which is very annoying cause I can't get anything but maybe a book. I try very hard to pay my card each month below 9% which has brought my score to only 650 I was informed that the highest my score would be is maybe 660 670 and that I would need some other form of credit.  I am looking for a card that only pulls transunion since that's my highest score any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!Smiley Tongue

Does anyone knows this kind of ccs?   They can pull whichever they want ... I think ...

Message 2 of 12
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Student cards are designed for people with no or limited history.   If you have 2 years of positive history and no negatives, you should qualify for most of them.   I would pick one I liked, and apply.    

Message 3 of 12
savmeformyse
Valued Member

Thanks I am just afraid to have an inq. I already have two from when I applied for a discover and statefarm student card one in DEC and the other JAN. I was denied My scores have not really improve but utilization went down and I got a collection removed. So since I have been denied from them I really don't no of another company with decent limits to apply for.

Message 4 of 12
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Are your credit reports clear of all negatives now?  If so, much better chance of being approved, and I would try again in a few months. 

Message 5 of 12
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Are you over 21?  New credit card law requires minimum age of 21 or be able to prove you have sufficient income.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Message 6 of 12
savmeformyse
Valued Member

Yes I am 24 and on my Transunion everything is clear I have a student loan for about 6800 and a credit card 500 limit 28 dollars reporting. Equifax has 6 lates reporting from last year and no collections they are from a joint account all expect one from a local furniture store they will don't excepted a gw.

Message 7 of 12
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

This will help find who pulls what.   Although not 100% accurate, things can change.

Hi Wolf3, links to CB aren't allowed on here. Thanks. - llecs, myFICO moderator

Message 8 of 12
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

UMB, Barclays are big TU pullers. Also in my state all the CU pull TU.

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply for Bloomingdale's. The store card, not the Visa. I had a 648 FICO with Equifax and got a 1k credit line. Others here have applied and got the same 1k. I think they give that to everyone now with a good credit history. Anyway, you're probably wondering what you can do with a Bloomingdale's card....just keep the account open, maybe buy some small things to show that you use the card, but that extra $1,000 of credit in addition to a new account reporting on your CR will indeed boost your score and then open the doors for Visa/MC or even possibly AMEX. I'd give it 3-5 months and then apply for a card at either your credit union or one of the big banks Smiley Happy

Although you might not have problems getting a good major CC right now, this is defintiely a way to get a higher CL and most likely a lower interest rate.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.