Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Cash Rewards Card for Heavy Usage

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Best Cash Rewards Card for Heavy Usage

My research on the most lucrative cash back cards has been rather tedious and difficult. Some cards SEEM more lucrative based on superficial descriptions of percentages in certain categories (often revolving) but then the fine print shows limits on how much cash back you can earn. Others that seem limitless and straightforward...like the Cap One Cash...are stuck at 1.5% and that's it.

I own a business and intend to shift a lot of my monthly payments (that incur no service charge for CC payments) from my check book to my new card. It's easy money for doing nothing different. 

I was looking at business cards too. The problem with a lot of these cards is that the lucrative percentages are for things I don't really use that much like travel and office supplies. I own a restaurant so I'm putting things on the card like advertising (print, web radio), garbage p-up, linen service, telecom services and utilities (if applicable with no fee). There may be others. Sadly,  the BIG expenses...food purchases...don't fit as well. Smiley Sad They either won't do it or charge a fee that cancels out most of the benefit. But the sum of everything else is pretty darn good without it. Add in my personal usage and we're talking between $6-7K per month. Maybe more. 

The Cap One Spark Cash Card (business card) seems to be the best one at 2% on everything. But the site that told me this, Nerd Wallet, doesn't expand very well on categories. It's more suited for personal categories. See here: http://www.nerdwallet.com/business-credit-cards There are other biz cards that boast 3% and 5% back on certain things but they don't apply or aren't worth much to me.

Anyone know of something even better? or an interactive site that helps you choose? Chase Freedom and Citi Dividend are often listed among the best but they have pesky, low limits that would short change my efforts. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Best Cash Rewards Card for Heavy Usage

@ztnjpv wrote:

My research on the most lucrative cash back cards has been rather tefious and difficult. Some cards SEEM more lucrative based on superficial descriptions of percentages in certain categories (often revolving) but then the fine print shows limits on how much cash back you can earn. Others that seem limitless and straightforward...like the Cap One Cash...are stuck at 1.5% and that's it.

I own a business and intend to shift a lot of my monthly payments (that incur no service charge for CC payments) from my check book to my new card. It's easy money for doing nothing different. 

I was looking at business cards too. The problem with a lot of these cards is that the lucrative percentages are for things I don't really use that much like travel and office supplies. I own a restaurant so I'm putting things on the card like advertising (print, web radio), garbage p-up, linen service, telecom services and utilities (if applicable with no fee). There may be others. Sadly,  the BIG expenses...food purchases...don't fit as well. Smiley Sad They either won't do it or charge a fee that cancels out most of the benefit. But the sum of everything else is pretty darn good without it. Add in my personal usage and we're talking between $6-7K per month. Maybe more. 

The Cap One Spark Cash Card (business card) seems to be the best one at 2% on everything. But the site that told me this, Nerd Wallet, doesn't expand very well on categories. It's more suited for personal categories. See here: http://www.nerdwallet.com/business-credit-cards There are other biz card boast 3% and 5% back on certain things but they don't apply or aren't worth much to me.

Anyone know of something even better? or an interactive site that helps you choose? Chase Freedom and Citi Dividend are often listed among the best but they have pesky, low limits that would short change my efforts. 

This one is the best that I can think of. 2% all the time is still very good for money you would otherwise pay in cash!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 14
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Amex Plum gives a 1.5% discount if the balance is paid within 10 days of statement date. That's basically the same as cash.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 14
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

"This one is the best that I can think of. 2% all the time is still very good for money you would otherwise pay in cash!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah. It seems to be. It's just that you always see those 3 and 5% cash back categories and the mouth starts drooling! LOL

I keep looking for that "magic card" that somehow aligns best with my expenses and I'm not seeing it.

Looking at these: http://www.bankaholic.com/credit-cards/business/...., I see 2X points on advertising on the The Business Gold Rewrds Card from Amex OPEN but I'm always suspicious of  "points" because you never know what points are worth compared to starightforward "% cash back". Points are foggy. Sometimes they're better than percentages, sometimes not. And there's no way to know.  Plus, it's AMEX, which I always worry about not being as readily accepted as VISA/MC. 

3% to 5% cash back on advertising and telecom/cable would be awesome. But then I'd likely have that off set by 1% on everything else, which would make everything a virtual wash. TEDIOUS.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drkaje wrote:

Amex Plum gives a 1.5% discount if the balance is paid within 10 days of statement date. That's basically the same as cash.

+1 for Plum, the weirdest charge card Amex has.

Message 5 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

"This one is the best that I can think of. 2% all the time is still very good for money you would otherwise pay in cash!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah. It seems to be. It's just that you always see those 3 and 5% cash back categories and the mouth starts drooling! LOL

I keep looking for that "magic card" that somehow aligns best with my expenses and I'm not seeing it.

Looking at these: http://www.bankaholic.com/credit-cards/business/...., I see 2X points on advertising on the The Business Gold Rewrds Card from Amex OPEN but I'm always suspicious of  "points" because you never know what points are worth compared to starightforward "% cash back". Points are foggy. Sometimes they're better than percentages, sometimes not. And there's no way to know.  Plus, it's AMEX, which I always worry about not being as readily accepted as VISA/MC. 

3% to 5% cash back on advertising and telecom/cable would be awesome. But then I'd likely have that off set by 1% on everything else, which would make everything a virtual wash. TEDIOUS.

+1 on not liking the points. I'd prefer straight cash back as well!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

The 2% FIA Amex, and the Sallie Mae 2% Visa Signature.  Both have no annual fees, and both offer straight up 2%.  The Sallie Mae has to be redeemed at 25k for the full $250, but with the initial 10k bonus, it's not hard to meet.  If you have an account with them, the Ameriprise World Mastercard is a free 2% cashback, along with HSBC Premier if you bank with them (and, no foreign transaction fee).

Sparks is good, but has the annual fee.  Plum is a great card, but has a very a high fee.  

If you're looking for a straight cash 2%, I'd suggest the no annual fee version suits you the best.  The only exception is if all of your spending occurs at a supermarket where the BDP is without peer, even with the high fee.

Are you using this for personal or business?  If business, you can fully write off the fee, which may make sense.  But, for personal spending, I don't believe in ever paying a fee for a cashback card since there are no fee 2% straight cashbacks available.  The only exception being the BCP because of the whopping 6% at supermarkets.

Message 7 of 14
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Open 123, 

What are BDP and BCP? Too many acronyms. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

Open 123, 

What are BDP and BCP? Too many acronyms. Smiley Happy

LOL...sorry, sometimes I forget not everyone is used to all these acronyms.

The AmEx Blue Cash preferred.  BDP must be a type where I meant BCP.  See?  I even confuse myself with all of the acronyms.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think BDP was a typo, and was meant to be BCP.

BCP = AMEX Blue Cash Preferred, 6% supermarket, 3% gas & department stores, 1% everything else, $75 annual fee.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.