@Comand wrote:

Thank you, I changed it to the QS!

Congrats on the upgrade!

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Course of Action

@Comand wrote:

Okay definitely, thank you for the input. I wouldn't mind closing the AMZ card and the USAA Rate Adv. But there wouldn't be a point of me doing that now, since as you said the damage is done?

That's a personal choice really, doesn't make much difference when it's done. Although I'd think an Amazon card would be fairly useful to just about anyone these days, with Internet buying and all.

Also, you really don't know how well a card works for you until you use it. So might as well find out which ones will be more beneficial.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you request a prequal?
Message 13 of 19
AllZero
Mega Contributor

^ Yes.
Message 14 of 19
kerplunk
Frequent Contributor

I think you should focus on improving your credit scores. This means no more new accounts, grow your limits, pay your bills on time, don't carry balances, let your credit age increase... all of the usual stuff.

Message 15 of 19
elixerin
Established Contributor

you have a lot of cards and only 5 inquiries, pretty opposite of me with 18 inquiries in like 3 cards. I think you’re still in a position to close out whatever card you think you won’t need, age everything you DO need currently, play the CLI game, then circle back in 5-6 months or when it makes sense for you to need another card.

CL isn’t everything, in fact it really is nothing if the cards you have regardless of the CL isn’t benefitting you in the long run. to play the utilization game(what i did with my $500-$1000 limits) pay down under 30% before your statement cuts so you have a pretty snapshot month to month, and you don’t have to do this forever probably a year at most and the limits you have will pretty much grow themselves
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Comand wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am 20yrs old, and I got my first CC at 18, a USAA CC. This past fall I applied for the Discover IT, was approved... and that started my spree. I ended up finding this forum after I had gotten my fourth card (mainly to extend CL for utilization purposes). I am sitting at a total of seven credit cards, one being a store card (Amazon). My question is, what should I be doing now? Gardening? Obviously my AAoA has been shot, but I thought I'd get a head start and establish multiple lines now and let them all age so by the time I'm 30 it'll be around 10 years AAoA. 

My dilema is that NFCU usually gives a much better CL after 91days and 3 statements, so I feel the "need" to apply for a second CC from them. But I am already at seven... I was thinking of "gardening" and just focus on requesting CLIs. EQ and TU show 5 / 3 Hard Inqs. 

My cards are: USAA Plat Rewards, USAA Rate Adv, NFCU GoRewards, AMEX ED, DISC IT, Cap One Plat, and AMZ Prime Store Card. Total CL of $12K. My FICO as Discover says is at 673.

So, I guess, do you have any advice for what I should do now? I am a student and make $23k a year. Thank you!

In terms of looking down the road a few years, you're already set up to have excellent credit just by paying on time (never be late) and keeping utlilization low. You don't really have to do anything special for the long term except those two things.

Message 17 of 19
sparecredit
Valued Member

THANK YOU for reminding me about this link. I have tried it multiple times over the past two years and never have any offers. Checked just now and I was able to upgrade my QS1 to QS! Progress is progress!!

Message 18 of 19
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your PC!
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.