cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit Boosting Payment Strategy to increase credit line?

tag
Mshellt
New Contributor

Best Credit Boosting Payment Strategy to increase credit line?

So I saved up $2000.00 to furnish a living room and dining room but I paid for the furniture using a discover card. It has zero interest for a year. I recall there being a sort of magical formula for paying off credit card debt that causes credit to instantly jump or at the very least causes the credit card companies to increase your line of credit. I think it might involve paying half of it in the first month and then parking off the rest within did months? I can't remember! Advice? I know paying it off completely paradoxically causes credit scores to drop LOL so I don't want to do that.

Starting Score: 630
Current Score:Equifax: 776 TransUnion: 746 Experian: 747

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Credit Boosting Payment Strategy to increase credit line?

Im no expert on this. BUt I read from wonderful members that you need to pay the uutilization down to <67% asap, then 50%, so on and so forth.

Message 2 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Mshellt wrote:
So I saved up $2000.00 to furnish a living room and dining room but I paid for the furniture using a discover card. It has zero interest for a year. I recall there being a sort of magical formula for paying off credit card debt that causes credit to instantly jump or at the very least causes the credit card companies to increase your line of credit. I think it might involve paying half of it in the first month and then parking off the rest within did months? I can't remember! Advice? I know paying it off completely paradoxically causes credit scores to drop LOL so I don't want to do that.

What's the credit limit on your Discover card and how much did you charge?

In general,  reporting only a small balance is good for scoring purposes, however if you are in 0% intro period, you should take advantage of it. As the balance goes down, score will go up. 

Message 3 of 6
xaximus
Valued Contributor

There are several thresholds in utilization that directly impact your score. They are as follows:
8.9%, 28.9%, 48.9%, 68.9% and 88.9%.
Each threshold you hit will cause a drop in your CS. Depending on your limit, I would plan to pay down each part enough to bring you under the threshold. If you post your credit limit and utilization, I can help with the math.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 4 of 6
Mshellt
New Contributor

Current credit limit is 14,000... I'm only using 2,000 of it. Do you suppose it matters in what increments it is paid off?

Starting Score: 630
Current Score:Equifax: 776 TransUnion: 746 Experian: 747

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Mshellt wrote:
Current credit limit is 14,000... I'm only using 2,000 of it. Do you suppose it matters in what increments it is paid off?

To Discover, not really, as long as it gets paid. 

I would  divide it by 6-12 months, depending on how much time you have left on 0% promo and go from there. That way you keep some of your savings for a longer period of time. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.