cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit Card for your Experience (no travel) annnnnnnd GO!

tag
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Best Credit Card for your Experience (no travel) annnnnnnd GO!

Subject says it best I am curious as to who loves what and why (without travel involved) I am interested in seeing Large CLI, SP cli, No minimum Redemptions, Largest jumps in shortest times, great SL with lower CS etc......people's personal experiences....Not what you read off of CC sites.    Smiley Happy        Plus I am lonely and wanted to reach out to my FICO family haha.

47 REPLIES 47
PutThatMoneyOnTheTable
Established Contributor

Re: Best Credit Card for your Experience (no travel) annnnnnnd GO!

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

Subject says it best I am curious as to who loves what and why (without travel involved) I am interested in seeing Large CLI, SP cli, No minimum Redemptions, Largest jumps in shortest times, great SL with lower CS etc......people's personal experiences....Not what you read off of CC sites.    Smiley Happy        Plus I am lonely and wanted to reach out to my FICO family haha.

I personally love my BOA Platinum Plus Visa Card. It was my first card, started $500 secured and graduated after a year. They then uped me to $1000 I did two CLI request to $2900 then to $7000(current CL). They were just no hassle and cash backs are ok. I currently have the 3% on dining (I spend a lot on food). No minimum amount to redeem cash back and I also have checking and auto loan with BOA

I'm in the process of maximizing my other cards to earn the maximum cash back but without me knowing I automatically pull out my BOA to pay for everything.

Amex is second runner up (large SP CLI) with chase closely following. Capital 1 is def in last place and if Comenity doesn't treat me right they will tie with capital for last place.

Amex BCP $35k
Chase FU $19.6k
BOA Cash Rewards $36k
BJs Perks Plus M/C $22k
Cap1 QS $4,950 (AU)
Best Buy $4k
Wells Fargo Active Cash $11.3
Message 2 of 48
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Very Nice Congrats Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 48
Aim_High
Super Contributor

I'll bite.  Smiley Happy

Discover_home.jpg

One of my all-time favorites is my simple Discover card.   There are others, of course, for different reasons.  But Discover will always have a place in my wallet and my spend.  They pioneered the whole cash-back idea, from which we all benefit today.  They may not alway pay the top cash-back rates today, but they have a lot going for them still.  No minimum redemption.  Great US-based 24/7 customer service.  Great fraud prevention. Bonuses on gift card redemption (= to about 10% bonus; $45 gets you $50.)  Competitive interest rates for a cashback card.  Great web and app support.  Free TU FICO Bankcard 8 credit score and deep web monitoring.  They've given me some regular BT offers when I really needed them.  And they've been very generous with CLIs, even without use of my full limit.  Just a good, solid, reliable card and easy to work with. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 4 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it sounds strange but it's my QuickSilver. I have had a great experience with Capital One. In the five and a half years I have had my card, I have been very satisfied. It started off as a Platinum at $300 and is now a QS at $8250. There are no gimmicks to get my 1.5%, no minimum redemptions, no HP CLIs, no FTF, no AF, customer service has been excellent when I have called them, in the years I have only had to call them a handful of times for issues related to the card, they handle disputes exceptionally well and found in my favor for $600 worth of purchases on Google Play after the developer banned me for no good reason, and my card always works. I have only ever had a problem with one merchant getting rejected. Xfinity Mobile used to get rejected every month and when I finally took the time to dig into it with a rep, we discovered that they were submitting it as if they had my card in hand at a store in Pennsylvania and I live in Colorado. They sorted it and it was never rejected again. I even ordered from a merchant overseas who actually warned everyone that the first transaction is always rejected by the issuer and it went through with just a text asking me if I made the purchase. Then the virtual card numbers add to the security of using my card online as well. 

APR is high (24.65% after the recent prime rate cuts I think) but I don't use it for large purchases. If I had to pay interest, I would use my NFCU Platinum at 7.99% or get a card with 0%. 

I do like Discover a lot but after the first year is over the only longterm utility is in rotating categories for the IT and for BT offers for IT, Miles, and Chrome. 

NFCU cards have Member Deals. My cashRewards earns a minimum of 2.5% (1.5% base for the card plus 1% bonus from the offer) from every merchant in there which is a nice perk. Since Microsoft Store is in there, all my Xbox purchases earn me 2.5% back minimum. HP for everything though. 

Message 5 of 48
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

I'll bite.  Smiley Happy

Discover_home.jpg

One of my all-time favorites is my simple Discover card.   There are others, of course, for different reasons.  But Discover will always have a place in my wallet and my spend.  They pioneered the whole cash-back idea, from which we all benefit today.  They may not alway pay the top cash-back rates today, but they have a lot going for them still.  No minimum redemption.  Great US-based 24/7 customer service.  Great fraud prevention. Bonuses on gift card redemption (= to about 10% bonus; $45 gets you $50.)  Competitive interest rates for a cashback card.  Great web and app support.  Free TU FICO Bankcard 8 credit score and deep web monitoring.  They've given me some regular BT offers when I really needed them.  And they've been very generous with CLIs, even without use of my full limit.  Just a good, solid, reliable card and easy to work with. 

Agreed, though my lowest cl and Dh's highest, they have a very good product(s). Now I haven't been with Amex but a smidge...I'm impressed with their 'Chat' and how fast they process and credit payments.  That's new to me.  Discover is second fastest the best I can tell. So Disco first with Amex on their heels.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 6 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know you asked for credit cards, with all the things that go with them such as SLs and CLIs, but I’m gonna jump outside that - Amex Gold. It’s a terrific daily driver. Mine is true NPSL and has never once been declined for anything, whether $1 or $1000. I love it. The MRs earn quickly, especially with the multipliers on restaurant and grocery spend, which are two of my biggest categories. Amex app is great and I’ve always been happy with customer service. I’ve had zero issues with acceptance - in my town I’ve found one diner that doesn’t take it.

If I only carried one card, that would be the one.
Message 7 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover definitely, CLI chances are good and the support (from my experience) has been great.

Message 8 of 48
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Discover It. So nice, I did it twice.

Message 9 of 48
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

NFCU

Venture

Discover

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.