cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit Card for your Experience (no travel) annnnnnnd GO!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Credit Card for your Experience (no travel) annnnnnnd GO!

Lol @longtimelurker, point taken - to clarify, it happened when my daughter went there and called me because she only had her AU Gold on her when she went to pay (I wasn’t there). I paid over the phone. But yes, you are right Smiley Happy
Message 21 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

Subject says it best I am curious as to who loves what and why (without travel involved) I am interested in seeing Large CLI, SP cli, No minimum Redemptions, Largest jumps in shortest times, great SL with lower CS etc......people's personal experiences....Not what you read off of CC sites.    Smiley Happy        Plus I am lonely and wanted to reach out to my FICO family haha.

Discover It! They gave me my highest SL yet and they don't treat me like a criminal when I call since I live overseas. They shipped my cc to me in France with no sweat. Cap 1 is a close second. They took a chance on me and gave me a pretty good SL at the onset of my rebuild. Cap 1 really opened the door for me. I think Amex Gold is my worse.  Although I love MR chart, their customer service is horrendous and they'e not consistent with information. 

Message 22 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you said no travel cards I would have to say NFCU Flagship. $500 cash sign up bonus. At least 2 percent on everything and tons of benefits.
Message 23 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Since you said no travel cards I would have to say NFCU Flagship. $500 cash sign up bonus. At least 2 percent on everything and tons of benefits.

That's a travel card. The only thing that makes it worth the AF is the possibility to make it back through 3% on travel and credit for global entry. There are plenty of cards with no AF and no $50 minimum cash back redemption that earn 2%. 

Message 24 of 48
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Im fond of Miss Disco.. even though it might not have the most rewards.. Its still one of my favorite cards .... 

In the #2 spot.... Amex CM... (Cash Magnet is *not* a travel card) They haven't nerfed off the warranty stuff like a lot of the other cards have and it did save my bacon already... And dealing with them has been quite pleasant and simple... And their Plan-it at least for me is still rolling out 0% offers for planned purchases....

Number 3... Even though im not enamored with them for other reasons, as of late... my CU card .... Still cant beat 8.x for an APR, occasionally easy small CB offers to use it... plus payments being instantaneous... Do wish theyd show a little luv without a body cavity search however...

Message 25 of 48
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Girlzilla88 wrote:  "I love my Chase card ....Hands down my favorite of the ones I have with the exception that my CU card"

@kerplunk wrote:  "Chase Freedom Unlimited.  Reasons:
  1. Chase is the biggest bank in the world. I used to use the Citi Double Cash card until I went to buy $7,000 in kitchen appliances at Lowes a few months ago and Citi's entire network was down for a few hours. Their customer service number was dead as well. Chase would never let that happen.
  2. VISA... accepted virtually everywhere.
  3. Cash back rate is good enough.
  4. Benefits/protections are good."

Well, not to double dip, but I agree that I like my Chase cards too.  Obviously, since I have a lot of them. Lol.  I might have mentioned Chase earlier but OP asked about (one) favorite card and for me, the Chase preference is more of a total assembly of credit products that just works well together.

Point (1) is excellent and sometimes overlooked.  Size matters when it comes to 24/7 customer service and competitive products.  They will always stay in the game with whatever is going on around them in the industry.  Great benefits, app/web interface, in-app "offers" on top of cash-back, and like my Discover, they gave me abundant BT offers when I needed them to stay afloat during a difficult financial period.  They are a solid bank and there's a good reason I have a lot of their cards in my wallet.  Being able to combine points on all my cards to the CSR and get 50% bonus for travel makes it all the sweeter.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 26 of 48
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Little or no travel?

BofA Premium Rewards

BofA Cash Rewards x2

and then find another hobby!

... well, there it is in a nutshell.  Smiley Happy

But what's so fun about finding another hobby?  Lol Smiley Tongue

Of course, this only applies best to those who have Platinum Honors status in Preferred Rewards with over $100K invested.  But it is a good combination!

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 27 of 48
calyx
Super Contributor

My AMEX BCP.  It does have an annual fee, but I have an absurd 'supermarket' spend so I still come out ahead of using a 3% card, plus I got a nice SUB.   I also get 6% CB for 'streaming' services, which has been more generous than I expected (it's not just subs, but so far all of the stuff I've bought streaming - audible sales, google play, etc.).      They were generous up front with my SL, were good to me for my 61d CLI (I "only" nearly doubled my CL, which is still way more than I need).  CB is easy to apply, I get AMEX deals that give me more cashback/credits, and the couple of times I've called customer service, they've been super (even though I'm a lowly 'bottom tier' customer).

Their app is easy to use as well.   There's just nothing I don't like about them, and if my spend were a little different, I'd probably happily be in the MR ecosystem.

2nd would be Discover.  They were nice to me when my credit life started, and they've also been easy to use.  Customer service is also on point, app easy to use, redemptions for CB are also easy.    Sadly, the card hasn't grown as much as I really need it to (1200CL -> 4200 for the first year), but at least all of my rejects were SPs Smiley Happy.    If I wasn't busy gardening for something else, I'd probably grab a second Disco because of the 1st year cashback match.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 28 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

probably the following combo

1. wells fargo propel, for 3% of dining, gas

2. dc, for everything else

3. freedom and it, for 5% rotating category

4. amex BCE, for grocery and amex offers

Message 29 of 48
devilnic
Contributor

No travel huh? ok that would have to be discover. I recently paid off my card earlier this year. Then I requested a CLI and was granted $1500 more than my SL. Then I called them a few months later to lower the apr since my credit score had gone up.

I was hoping to finance some dental work I needed so I called and the nice CSR gave me 15 months 0% apr again to help with that. I have had this card for a little over 2.5 years so I was pleasantly surprised. 

Then after that, I was approved for a second discover with a higher SL and 0%apr for 14 months which will help me pay some more debt down. Go Discover!!!

Starting Score: 612
Goal Score: 850

Credit Cards: Capital One Spark Visa $700 6/8/2002 19 yrs | Navy Federal Flagship Rewards $15,000 9/24/2014 7 years | Victoria's Secret $4100 11/17/2014 7 years | Amazon $6000 12/1/2015 6 years | Discover Miles #1 $6300 1/19/2017 4 years | Navy Federal AmEx $10,000 7/6/2017 4 years | American Express Hilton Honors Surpass $2000 4/30/2019 3 years | American Express Everyday Preferred$1000 8/24/2019 2 year | Home Depot $5000 7/06/2017 4 years | Overstock $14,150 5/12/2019 2years | Chase Slate $1800 9/24/2019 2 years | Discover IT #2 $9,000 9/24/2019 2 years | FNBO Evergreen $11,300 11/24/2021 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 11/26/2021
Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.