Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit Card to Use Making Apple Purchases

tag
credit8502020
Established Contributor

Re: Best Credit Card to Use Making Apple Purchases

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Eligible for educational discount also using a CC?   Back when I worked for a university that possibly was the cheapest way to get one at one point in time.  Although not a student worked for university/medical center and got said discount.  Also some states have tax free days or a few of them a year that could be 9-10% off right there depending on state, just another thought.  Usually those days happen before a semester.

@CreditCuriosity Yes, I'm eligible for an educational discount and will be using my credit card. Thanks for mentioning tax free days because that definitely may be a good option for many. It's great to remember those days for other large purchases as well if they're eligible in the state.

Message 21 of 37
SPChaser
Established Contributor

@credit8502020 wrote:

UPDATE: So it appears that, at this time, buying from the Apple Store directly using the Elan Card may be the best way to get the most cash back. Elan offers 5% on Electronic Stores.

Of course, please feel free to share any other alternatives. I haven't found anything higher than 5%. With Elan you earn 5% cash back on your first $2,000 in combined eligible purchases each quarter. Anything (accessories, etc.) over $2,000, I can easily purchase with another card to maximize cash back. 

Thanks! 

Thanks @credit8502020 for the update. Still planning on getting a couple MacBooks this year. 

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 22 of 37
SPChaser
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Eligible for educational discount also using a CC?   Back when I worked for a university that possibly was the cheapest way to get one at one point in time.  Although not a student worked for university/medical center and got said discount.  Also some states have tax free days or a few of them a year that could be 9-10% off right there depending on state, just another thought.  Usually those days happen before a semester.

@CreditCuriosity Forgot bout them tax free days for purchasing laptops 😅

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 23 of 37
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@SPChaser wrote:

@credit8502020 wrote:

UPDATE: So it appears that, at this time, buying from the Apple Store directly using the Elan Card may be the best way to get the most cash back. Elan offers 5% on Electronic Stores.

Of course, please feel free to share any other alternatives. I haven't found anything higher than 5%. With Elan you earn 5% cash back on your first $2,000 in combined eligible purchases each quarter. Anything (accessories, etc.) over $2,000, I can easily purchase with another card to maximize cash back. 

Thanks! 

Thanks @credit8502020 for the update. Still planning on getting a couple MacBooks this year. 

@SPChaser You're welcome! If you purchase those on different cards or at different times, you'll definitely probably maximize your cash back! 

Message 24 of 37
joltdude
Senior Contributor

One thing going for the Appe Card.. is you can get the cashback and finance at 0 .. have your cake and eat it too..

_J

Message 25 of 37
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

One thing going for the Appe Card.. is you can get the cashback and finance at 0 .. have your cake and eat it too..

_J

@joltdude That's one way to look at it. The concern for many is that if you do not get a high credit limit, you will have a high utilization amount which will negatively impact your credit score. 

Message 26 of 37
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I'll do you all one better. I got 7% back on my MacBook Air this March at Costco using my AFCU visa. I realize this doesn't help anyone now, but Jan - March, AFCU had super markets and wholesale clubs as a Hi5 category, meaning you earn an additional 5% on top off whatever their normal cashback is. Costco codes as grocery with this card, which is usually 2% + 5% Hi5 and you get 7% back. Score! Not to mention Costco had it discounted for $100 off the Apple store price. 

80397714-EC9C-4DA0-9B65-D7ECFF930F8F.jpeg

Message 27 of 37
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

I'll do you all one better. I got 7% back on my MacBook Air this March at Costco using my AFCU visa. I realize this doesn't help anyone now, but Jan - March, AFCU had super markets and wholesale clubs as a Hi5 category, meaning you earn an additional 5% on top off whatever their normal cashback is. Costco codes as grocery with this card, which is usually 2% + 5% Hi5 and you get 7% back. Score! Not to mention Costco had it discounted for $100 off the Apple store price. 

80397714-EC9C-4DA0-9B65-D7ECFF930F8F.jpeg

@KLEXH25 That's exciting! I'm so glad you were able to get 7%!!! I'll keep this in mind for other expenses. I considered joining AFCU in the past, but the credit card didn't fit what I was looking for at the moment. How early do they announce their quarterly spending categories? 

Message 28 of 37
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@credit8502020 They don't seem to announce the categories too far ahead of time. I've only noticed it just before it will start (unless it's posted elsewhere and I haven't noticed). This is new for them...I think the Hi5 only started last year, so I'm wondering if they will repeat categories again.

Message 29 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLEXH25 wrote:

I'll do you all one better. I got 7% back on my MacBook Air this March at Costco using my AFCU visa.

I think only a shoplifter could beat that.

Costco usually has 10% off the Apple store price all year long. Between Black Friday and Christmas it can get close to 30%, which is when I bought a Macbook Air as a gift for my dad. You could buy the $60 membership just for a single purchase and still save a lot of money during that time.

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.