Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit Unions to get a CC with?

tag
xgac12x
Established Contributor

Best Credit Unions to get a CC with?

I would like to get a CU CC here in the future, (probably June 2014) and I was wondering what would be my best bet? My goal is to have my Chase become a signature (once the year is up), get an AMEX charge card, and get a CU CC. Just wondering which one I should go for. Thanks.
CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best Credit Unions to get a CC with?

It would really depend on what you would value from the CU (rates, auto loans, overall relationship or just specific products).  Have you shopped around for any local ones in your area?  Otherwise, there are others (some which would have membership elegibility requirements), such as NFCU, PenFed, SDFCU, DCU, Alliant, Logix, NASA FCU, FKFCU, OCCU...

You could also try this link which was posted not long ago from another thread: http://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/the-big-list-of-credit-unions-open-to-anyone.html

Message 2 of 8
xgac12x
Established Contributor

Yeah unfortunately I do not have a relationship with a credit union. I would like to get one started though. Would that mean having my finances such as my checking/savings account through them?
Message 3 of 8
user5387
Valued Contributor

@xgac12x wrote:
Yeah unfortunately I do not have a relationship with a credit union. I would like to get one started though. Would that mean having my finances such as my checking/savings account through them?

Typically you are required to open a small savings account to become a member of a CU.

This may or may not involve a credit pull / Chex pull.  If it does involve a credit pull, you may be able to get a CC with the same pull.

You could make a copy of your report, and visit some local CUs, and see what they have to offer you.

Message 4 of 8
xgac12x
Established Contributor

If you guys are familiar with Space Coast Credit Union, that is the one I would go for.
Message 5 of 8
user5387
Valued Contributor

@xgac12x wrote:
If you guys are familiar with Space Coast Credit Union, that is the one I would go for.

http://www.creditcardconnection.org/cu-finder/state/FL

Message 6 of 8
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I am a member of about 5 credit unions, all of which have the minimum deposit of $5 in share savings, except for PSECU which also has a small amount of money in a checking account (needed for FICO updates). I use these credit unions for credit cards and loan shopping. The benefits I get from them:

NFCU: credit cards with high limits and annual 0% BT offers. Also just got an auto loan with them at a very low rate. I have never had more than $5 in share savings.

PSECU: free EX FICO score. I move small amounts of money from checking to savings every few months to keep this active. It might be easier just to get their credit card instead of trying to keep a checking account active, but I don't think I would really use it, since it offers no rewards.

SDFCU: chip + pin credit card with generous limit

PenFed: have had $5 in share savings for a few years now... originally wanted to get in because I had planned on applying for a Platinum Rewards card. I no longer want this card since the rewards have been nerfed, but keep the account open in case I am loan shopping in the future.

ServiceCU: I opened this because I thought they offered a chip + pin credit card. This is not really the case. I might close this account, but the $5 in share savings is not hurting me.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 7 of 8
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I got this link from another thread from in General Topics. Here's a list of CUs that are open to anyone:

http://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/the-big-list-of-credit-unions-open-to-anyone.html

Hope it helps you by giving you options. It might be a long search, but it may be worth your time.

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.