cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit card for domestic travel out of the ones I have?

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Best Credit card for domestic travel out of the ones I have?

I have most cards in my sig but here they are here:

Amex Everyday

Amex BCE

Bank of America MLB rewards ( same as their rewards card)

Barclay's NFL extra points ( Not going to use )

Chase Freedom

Chase Sapphire ( carrying a $1,300 balance with a promo 0% APR)

Chase Slate

Chase Disney 

Chase Amazon

Citi AA plat 

Citi Simplicity 

Citi Thank you

Citi DC

Discover it

Capital one playstation card

Might of been one or two I have forgot about excluding store cards

I am going to California for a week in March and just want to bring 1-2 cards max with me to basically put everything on it between the one or two cards. I am unfortunately not using AA but Jetblue since Jetblue is around $580 round trip but AA is around $200 more for the days I am traveling and I am buying two tickets but otherwise if I was going by myself I would of taken advantage of my AA card.  My AA card is brand new so I am wondering would it be better to use that card for everything to help me get to the $3,000 spend or should i chase rewards? Ideally I think I want to use my Amex Everyday, Citi DC or my Citi AA plat card but im not sure which is the best. I know Discover offers 5% on travel and on top of that double % CB but I don't particularly like their benefits with the insurance and etc

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Credit card for domestic travel out of the ones I have?

In terms of rewards, the AA signup bonus is probably the best return you're going to get. Unless you have other ways that you'll make the spending requirements, I'd make sure to use that card to whatever degree you need to get the bonus.

You didn't mention whether you'll be paying off balance right away or you're going to carry the balance for awhile. If you're carrying the balance, that would make a huge difference when choosing a card.

Lastly, I see you have a Disney card. If Disneyland is part of your trip, using that card will get you certain perks in the parks. I think you get 10% off certain food and souvenirs, and there's a character meet or something that's only for Disney VISA holders. I don't remember exactly, but it'd be worth taking if that's where you're headed.

Message 2 of 8
bch238
Regular Contributor

Regardless of your decision, I wouldn't leave home with only a card from one bank.   You might get some fraud alert and have all your cards from a single bank frozen.

FICO Scores (MARCH 2016): EQ 829; EX 825; TU 828
AmEx BCP $25,000; AmEx Platinum (NPSL); Barclaycard JetBlue Rewards $5,000; Bank of America Cash Rewards $27,500; Chase Sapphire Preferred $33,700; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $15,000; Chase Freedom $12,000; Citi Prestige $30,500; Virgin America Premium $25,000; The Home Depot Card $20,500; Capital One Platinum $15,000
Message 3 of 8
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

In terms of rewards, the AA signup bonus is probably the best return you're going to get. Unless you have other ways that you'll make the spending requirements, I'd make sure to use that card to whatever degree you need to get the bonus.

You didn't mention whether you'll be paying off balance right away or you're going to carry the balance for awhile. If you're carrying the balance, that would make a huge difference when choosing a card.

Lastly, I see you have a Disney card. If Disneyland is part of your trip, using that card will get you certain perks in the parks. I think you get 10% off certain food and souvenirs, and there's a character meet or something that's only for Disney VISA holders. I don't remember exactly, but it'd be worth taking if that's where you're headed.

I am already carrying one balance so I wont be carrying this one. I will be paying this one off  100% anything related to this traveling like air fare and etc. I probably can't put on the Airfare onto my AA card since I don't even have it and probably going to book the flight tonight or tomorrow once I figure out the days I want to go.  At Disneyland I might use the card there but otherwise I pretty much only got it because i liked the card lol

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 4 of 8
Irisa
Senior Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

Amex Everyday

Amex BCE

Chase Freedom

Chase Slate

Chase Disney 

Chase Amazon

Citi AA plat 

Citi Simplicity 

Citi Thank you

Citi DC

Discover it

I am going to California for a week in March and just want to bring 1-2 cards max with me to basically put everything on it between the one or two cards. I am unfortunately not using AA but Jetblue since Jetblue is around $580 round trip but AA is around $200 more for the days I am traveling and I am buying two tickets but otherwise if I was going by myself I would of taken advantage of my AA card.  My AA card is brand new so I am wondering would it be better to use that card for everything to help me get to the $3,000 spend or should i chase rewards? Ideally I think I want to use my Amex Everyday, Citi DC or my Citi AA plat card but im not sure which is the best. I know Discover offers 5% on travel and on top of that double % CB but I don't particularly like their benefits with the insurance and etc

If you use your Citi AA plat to meet the $3000 spend and get the bonus, isn't that also reward chasing?

Personally  that's probably the one I would use because I'd hate to miss out on the bonus. Unless you know for sure you will meet your spend with other expenses, then I would look at the other cards. 

Message 5 of 8
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Irisa wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

Amex Everyday

Amex BCE

Chase Freedom

Chase Slate

Chase Disney 

Chase Amazon

Citi AA plat 

Citi Simplicity 

Citi Thank you

Citi DC

Discover it

If you use your Citi AA plat to meet the $3000 spend and get the bonus, isn't that also reward chasing?

Personally  that's probably the one I would use because I'd hate to miss out on the bonus. Unless you know for sure you will meet your spend with other expenses, then I would look at the other cards. 

I meant reward chasing as into using a bunch of cards for the maximum rewards. I ideally only want to use one or two cards to simplify my bill at the end of all this. Yeah I won't get the maximum CB or whatever but I really don't care. As far as my AA card goes a big chunk of the trip won't be on it since I am going to book the flights before I get the card since I rather not lose out on the prices of the flights or ideal seats that I want. I probably will make the spending because I decided to get the card before I ever knew I was thinking of taking a trip to Cali next month. I am probably going to turn the AA into my everyday card to rack up miles instead of CB with my DC

Message 6 of 8
Irisa
Senior Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Irisa wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

Amex Everyday

Amex BCE

Chase Freedom

Chase Slate

Chase Disney 

Chase Amazon

Citi AA plat 

Citi Simplicity 

Citi Thank you

Citi DC

Discover it

I meant reward chasing as into using a bunch of cards for the maximum rewards. I ideally only want to use one or two cards to simplify my bill at the end of all this. Yeah I won't get the maximum CB or whatever but I really don't care. As far as my AA card goes a big chunk of the trip won't be on it since I am going to book the flights before I get the card since I rather not lose out on the prices of the flights or ideal seats that I want. I probably will make the spending because I decided to get the card before I ever knew I was thinking of taking a trip to Cali next month. I am probably going to turn the AA into my everyday card to rack up miles instead of CB with my DC

Gotcha. I usually use CSP for flights and hotel, then only take 2 or 3 cards with me when I travel. On my last trip I took CSP for hotel and dining, Discover for everything else and Capital One QS as a backup, in case places didn't take Discover. I like to keep it as simple as possible, even if I lose out on a few reward points.

You should probably take your newly acquired Amex Hilton now too. Smiley Happy 

Message 7 of 8
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Irisa wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Irisa wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

Amex Everyday

Amex BCE

Chase Freedom

Chase Slate

Chase Disney 

Chase Amazon

Citi AA plat 

Citi Simplicity 

Citi Thank you

Citi DC

Discover it

Gotcha. I usually use CSP for flights and hotel, then only take 2 or 3 cards with me when I travel. On my last trip I took CSP for hotel and dining, Discover for everything else and Capital One QS as a backup, in case places didn't take Discover. I like to keep it as simple as possible, even if I lose out on a few reward points.

You should probably take your newly acquired Amex Hilton now too. Smiley Happy 

Yeah I decided on the Amex hilton and probably the AA card with my DC as my backup since I have that tied to the Car rental with National. 

I got rid of my CSP since I didn't want to pay the AF and lately I been moving away from using my chase cards and using Citi. Was curious about the Citi card with Hilton but oh well got the Amex one so I am happy. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.