cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit union to get a credit card approval/ most interesting credit union

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Best Credit union to get a credit card approval/ most interesting credit union

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

@idonthaveaname wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts on this? 

I like the idea of credit unions in general. I think some of them have some great mission statements and they are different than the big banks. Anyone have their favorites? 

Also for approvals what cb did they pull?

PenFed is one of the best out there. They currently have a 0% auto loan promotion going on and mortgages starting as low as 2.6%. They are known for giving high credit limits if you fit their profile. On the other hand they are conservative. They are very inq/new accounts sensitive. Generally they don't like people who are building a pyramid in Giza. If you don't know what that mean google "PenFed Pyramid".

Good Definition of Pyramiding:

"They look at your balance history on your CR, if your total debt keeps climbing instead of remaining steady or getting lower, they think you are not paying your debts, you are simply getting higher limit cards and getting further in debt as you do. Pyramiding the debt so that your util looks lower when it really is a higher amount."

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 11 of 17
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

Re: Best Credit union to get a credit card approval/ most interesting credit union

@LS2982 wrote:

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

@idonthaveaname wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts on this? 

I like the idea of credit unions in general. I think some of them have some great mission statements and they are different than the big banks. Anyone have their favorites? 

Also for approvals what cb did they pull?

PenFed is one of the best out there. They currently have a 0% auto loan promotion going on and mortgages starting as low as 2.6%. They are known for giving high credit limits if you fit their profile. On the other hand they are conservative. They are very inq/new accounts sensitive. Generally they don't like people who are building a pyramid in Giza. If you don't know what that mean google "PenFed Pyramid".

Good Definition of Pyramiding:

"They look at your balance history on your CR, if your total debt keeps climbing instead of remaining steady or getting lower, they think you are not paying your debts, you are simply getting higher limit cards and getting further in debt as you do. Pyramiding the debt so that your util looks lower when it really is a higher amount."

Good explanation LS2982. I would add that if your balance remains steady but your util keeps going down because of higher credit limits then they also consider that pyramiding.

Message 12 of 17
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

Does anyone know through recent experience if DCU and PenFed ask for income verification to be a member or applying for their credit cards?

Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 13 of 17
starry1
Valued Contributor

Navy for the win!  I'm a new member and hope to get some cc's from them this year.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 14 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@cowboyguy wrote:

Does anyone know through recent experience if DCU and PenFed ask for income verification to be a member or applying for their credit cards?

DCU- Yes for cc/loan products. Idk about membership.  They didn't ask me for proof but that was 7 years ago. 

Message 15 of 17
OwNt
New Contributor

PenFed could potentially interprete just about anything as pyramid building. It's their catch all reason for denials. I have seen people hit with pyramiding debt who always pay in full. 

When I applied several years ago they did require income verification.

~~Credit Cards~~
Alliant Platinum Rewards Visa, AmEx BCP, BofA Power Rewards, Bank of the West Platinum, Barclay Rewards World MC, Chase Freedom/Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Thank You Preferred/Citi Dividend Select, Discover IT, FNBOmaha, Paypal MC, US Bank Cash+/US Bank Perks+.

Total: $300,000+ in lines.
Message 16 of 17
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@cowboyguy wrote:

It depends is the best answer I can offer. When I applied for DCU they approved me for a $3K limit CC and no request for income was asked of me. A family member of mine also applied for a CC with them and proof of income was a requirement. Hope that helps.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.