Best First Navy Fed Card

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Best First Navy Fed Card

@Anonymous wrote:

@fatcomic 

Thank you! I think the cash rewards will do fine. I have the Discover cash back for rewards. 

Of course they'd pull the one bureau with the most inquires lol. I'm at 5 for TU

I wouldn't get too hung up on having 5 inquiries reporting - unless they were all from something like credit card applications made over the last couple of months. 

The CR is a straightfoward 1.5% cashback card - not a bad one to start out with and to hold onto for unstructured spend.    

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 11 of 21
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Best first card??? ANY card from Navy! Smiley Happy In seriousness...the cash rewards is a decent card. The Flagship is good if you travel.
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the cash rewards first and found great value in it until I landed another card that was 2% CB on everything. Then I converted it to a More Rewards Amex for 3x points: Supermarkets, Gas Stations, Transit, Restaurants (the bulk of all my spending) & 1point on everything else. I'm blacklisted w/ Amex and this also lets me have an Amex for concert and event presales. 

I also have a 5.99% platinum with them which is where any balance I need to carry goes. But only after I've earned cash back on that purchase from another lender and then balance transferred it over. LOL. 

Message 13 of 21
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

@Anonymous     I love my CR card, (Flagship will be a lot harder to get as a first card if it was one you were considering) and honestly I wouldn't trust the Prequal if you did it online?!?!      Should be the same pull from CB for the different cards, I haven't seen a DP suggesting otherwise Smiley Happy

Yes I did the pre-qual online. Is it not that accurate? I also went to the my offers tab and the cash rewards card came up there. 

Prequals are more cosmetic. Their great if you get approved, the devil if rejected 😡 Good omen its in your offers tab. All i get is the equivalent of Penfeds Turbotax offersSmiley Wink

The only stuff I've seen in my offers tab is planning for retirement stuff and  direct deposit, I already have DD with them. Lol   I didn't think that Navy really offered credit products in the offers tab. Never heard of anyone mention it. Lol 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 14 of 21
blindambition
Senior Contributor

It depends on use, but CR and More are good 1st choices. Flagship is one I wouldn't app 1st, because of higher UW requirements.

Platinum is a valuable card, one I'd also not app 1st. First cards can start with low limit, and value of Platinum is for BT purposes and low APR. Can't really BT on a $500 approval. JMHO!!

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mr_Mojo_Risin 

Not sure tbh. Just opened the account with them. Went to the offers tab and it the cash back card there and had a tab that said "learn more". Not sure if it was an offer or an invitation tbh. 

Message 16 of 21
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mr_Mojo_Risin 

Not sure tbh. Just opened the account with them. Went to the offers tab and it the cash back card there and had a tab that said "learn more". Not sure if it was an offer or an invitation tbh. 

I received an email from them about the Cash Rewards a month or so after joining. It was more of an invitation to apply, not a pre-approval. Never anything in offers tab though.

I've found that the More Rewards is a great card. I use it almost daily. If the categories for it fit your spend, I would definitely recommend it. 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mr_Mojo_Risin 

I went ahead and shot for the CR. Figured it was the best route to go given the 1.5% CB and me being a new member and all. Got approved. Back to the garden I go. I was already in the garden for a few months, but really wanted to join NFCU to obtain a LOC to get my foot in the door so I went for it. In reality I should've waited because were applying for a mortgage in 18 months but our mortgage scores are good atm. Just have to wait for the decrease in score from the new account and garden until next year! 

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@blindambition 

Thanks! I went for the cash rewards. Figured it was the best option atm. So with NF, I read about this 91/3 rule. So basically wait 91 days or 3 months prior to requesting a CLI is that right? So excited to finally be a part of the NFCU fam! 

Message 19 of 21
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mr_Mojo_Risin 

I went ahead and shot for the CR. Figured it was the best route to go given the 1.5% CB and me being a new member and all. Got approved. Back to the garden I go. I was already in the garden for a few months, but really wanted to join NFCU to obtain a LOC to get my foot in the door so I went for it. In reality I should've waited because were applying for a mortgage in 18 months but our mortgage scores are good atm. Just have to wait for the decrease in score from the new account and garden until next year! 

Glad to hear that!  Big congrats to you!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.