Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Gas card ...??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Gas card ...??

I have the Amex propel but I might be closing it soon due to very low SL , and Wells requires a hard pull to increase limit & according to the wells representative they stopped giving auto clis , so might close soon , so I’ll be looking to get a card with pints back on gas , wish the Amex gold had this !
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

Re: Best Gas card ...??

If you have an in with navy fed the more rewards Amex offers 3x on gas with no AF and 30k points with 3k spend sub, the blue cash preferred from Amex offers 3x points on gas and 6x points on groceries up to 6k in spend/year (you have to eat, right?!) but it has a 95 dollar AF with a 250 dollar statement credit with 1k spend. The DGF gets 5x on gas with her Best Buy visa but I think that’s a special promo— the website says 3x being a limited time offer.

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 2 of 31
frugal47374
Regular Contributor

Ducks Unlimited is 5% back on gas, no annual fee.

I plan to apply for that once I get most of my 0% deals paid off so I have a more respectable score.

Message 3 of 31
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Ducks unlimited as mentioned at 5%..  Also if you happen to have sams club membership alredy then Sams MC at 5% or in-turn costco membership then costco visa at 4%.  Only problem with later two being sams/costco it is once a year pay out.

Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

The PNC Cash Rewards Visa offers 4% cashback on gas purchases.  It alos offers 3% back on dining/fast food and 2% on groceries.  Quite a useful all-purpose card.

Message 5 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

As mentioned above, Ducks Unlimited. However, you can request a SP CLI over the phone with WF. When you call in they can put in the request, and if it gets denied immediately they send it to UW where they then perform a HP (told to me by a CSR). Of course YMMV, but this was what was explained to me
Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
As mentioned above, Ducks Unlimited. However, you can request a SP CLI over the phone with WF. When you call in they can put in the request, and if it gets denied immediately they send it to UW where they then perform a HP (told to me by a CSR). Of course YMMV, but this was what was explained to me

I requested a CLI on Propel after I got it. It went to UW but no HP (its possible they used the same HP for my app). I didn't get the CLI. Then requested one recently. No HP there. I got the CLI. 

PNC cash rewards card is great for gas. If you don't have an existing account with them, it may require a few extra steps to get your online account access set up.

Message 7 of 31
Andypanda
Established Contributor

If you are a Costco member, the citi Costco Visa, 4% on gas.

Message 8 of 31
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The PNC Cash Rewards Visa offers 4% cashback on gas purchases.  It alos offers 3% back on dining/fast food and 2% on groceries.  Quite a useful all-purpose card.

I recently acquired this card because it seemed like the best dual purpose card for gas and restaurants. I already have an AMEX BCP with 3% gas, and I was looking into going getting a Savor One card to get 3% on dining. This card seemed like a better bang for the buck, so I pulled the trigger on it.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 9 of 31
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Citi Premier is 3x gas and you can reedem Thank You points at 1.25 if you have the Premier.

Chase Freedom has x5 gas once in a while which can be reedeemed at 1.25 (w/ CSP) or 1.5 (w/ CSR).

Generally though I don't know if Gas is a big enough category to worry about it. Someone who drives 10,000 miles a year with the current prices is looking at spending $750 a year in gas. You might be smarter with a system that will give you $5 back per gas purchase than something that will give you 5% cash back.

The Shell Fuel Rewards Network will give you up to $50 cents per gallon off and might be worth looking into.

https://www.fuelrewards.com/fuelrewards/how

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.