Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Gas credit cards?

tag
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Gas credit cards?

@Ghost117 

I see you have Navy Fed, USAA has a 5% gas card(amex). Cons: capped at $1,500 per year.

Message 11 of 27
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

If you are a Costco member, and you don't mind filling up at Costco, then get the Costco card. I save more filling up at Costco with 4% back than I would with any 5% card somewhere else. Their gas is Top Tier anyway. Also, Costco only accepts Visa, which limits your option more (Costco Visa being a Visa).

I don't have the Costco card but I am pretty sure it is 4% at any gas station.

But, yeah, cash back aside, there is a lot to be said for, first and foremost, just finding the lowest gas prices in your area.  Also, keep in mind grocery store rewards of $0.XX off per gallon, and apps such as 7-11 or Speedway, etc.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 12 of 27
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

I don't have the Costco card but I am pretty sure it is 4% at any gas station.

But, yeah, cash back aside, there is a lot to be said for, first and foremost, just finding the lowest gas prices in your area.  Also, keep in mind grocery store rewards of $0.XX off per gallon, and apps such as 7-11 or Speedway, etc.  

It is 4% everywhere. I did not mean to imply that it is exclusive to Costco. But if you DO want Costco gas, you need a Visa (like the Costco Visa). A lot of competing "gas cards" are not Visa.  Costco has usually the cheapest Top Tier gasoline (speedway and most other low-priced gasoline are not).

Message 13 of 27
Aim_High
Super Contributor

A lot of the top options have been listed in the various responses, @Ghost117.   I'll point you to a complete list, however.

The "Abound FCU Visa" (previously Fort Knox FCU) is the only card I'm aware of that pays 5% or more uncapped on gas purchases.  For those who are grandfathered, we also still have members getting an uncapped 5% back on the original Ducks Unlimited Visa(It's now a 1.5% flat rate cash back card for new applicants.)

For highest CASH returns and if that Abound FCU card is off the table for some reason, I would suggest a layered approach with multiple cards that pay 4% to 5.25% with caps, depending on your spend volume.  Here is a previous comprehensive list of the best gas cards that are still relevant.  See this thread for that complete list of capped 4% to 5% cash back gas cards.  That thread has (14) cards that earn a minimum of 4% back.  If gas is a major spend category, there's really little reason to accept a lower return such as the 3% options unless you've already exhausted these. 

The one card that is missing from that list is the new Citi Custom Cash that pays 5% on up to $500 per month.  It wasn't available at that time.   That makes 15!  Smiley Very Happy

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 14 of 27
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I use my Costco card. I don't drive a lot most of the time, and on road trips another person may end up paying so even then my gas spend is limited.

Tracking an extra 1% or 2% on my limited gas spend isn't really worthwhile compared to getting an occasional SUB. I don't really monitor my Freedom 5% categories anymore. I've come to like steady categories and eBills.

Though by going the WWFCR (Visa) route, if my online shopping spend fell (or I got another CR card) I have a potential 5.25% Visa available for Costco gas.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 15 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

As FinStar asks, what is your gasoline spend? For example, if you max the $500 on the Custom Cash, that's $25 per month back. If you use a 2% card it's $10 back for the month, plus 2% on everything else. So the Custom Cash gets you an additional $15 per month, but then you likely end up juggling multiple cards to try to "optimize" cash back.  

The Shell app allows you to pay using PayPal. Link up your primary / preferred PayPal payment card to something like Freedom Flex in the current PayPal quarter, and that will boost earnings. 

Many stations ( Chevron in this area ) have Tap to Pay at the pump. Altitude Reserve gets effectively 4.5% on mobile wallet in these situations. Yeah, Annual Fee, but still an uncapped 4.5% if you find stations with tap to pay Smiley Happy  I'm guessing someone with a large gasoline bill may be on the road a lot, so paying for hotel rooms with Altitude Reserve also gets effectively 4.5% earnings.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 27
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

A lot of the top options have been listed in the various responses, @Ghost117.   I'll point you to a complete list, however.

The "Abound FCU Visa" (previously Fort Knox FCU) is the only card I'm aware of that pays 5% or more uncapped on gas purchases.  For those who are grandfathered, we also still have members getting an uncapped 5% back on the original Ducks Unlimited Visa(It's now a 1.5% flat rate cash back card for new applicants.)

For highest CASH returns and if that Abound FCU card is off the table for some reason, I would suggest a layered approach with multiple cards that pay 4% to 5.25% with caps, depending on your spend volume.  Here is a previous comprehensive list of the best gas cards that are still relevant.  See this thread for that complete list of capped 4% to 5% cash back gas cards.  That thread has (14) cards that earn a minimum of 4% back.  If gas is a major spend category, there's really little reason to accept a lower return such as the 3% options unless you've already exhausted these. 

The one card that is missing from that list is the new Citi Custom Cash that pays 5% on up to $500 per month.  It wasn't available at that time.   That makes 15!  Smiley Very Happy

Son of a gun!  I just spent 45 minutes replying, then I got an error when I hit 'Post'.  Not sure I will include links to everything I originally had but here is the nutshell of what I originally posted.    Smiley Sad

Nice list A_H in post # 8 of that linked thread.  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Summer-2020-best-cash-back-card-for-Gas/m-p/6103368#M1...

I do think it is missing Nusenda, 5% rotating.  https://www.nusenda.org/loans-credit-cards/credit-cards/platinum-cash-rewards-credit-card.    Especially useful because it is not uncommon for Nusenda to offer 5% CB in two quarters per year - and often staggered quarters from Freedom / Disco-it.  Smiley Happy

Then I linked a credit union that you didn't list that offers 5% CB gas.  Sorry, it is 1:35am and I don't feel like searching again.  

Then I listed two CUs that do 5% CB on everything or gas for the first year.  Not sure if that even counts?  

Then I asked if you are considering AFs or other expenses/hoops.  And I used PCM CU as an example.  Even if someone could get this card (not sure how easy/hard it is to get?), the hoops required for no AF are, in my opinion, too much and I think most people would just pay the $49 AF, making it, essentially, a 4.XX% card.   

Ok, about to click Post again, wish me luck, lol......

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 17 of 27
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

@Aim_Highwrote:   ... Here is a previous comprehensive list of the best gas cards that are still relevant.  See this thread for that complete list of capped 4% to 5% cash back gas cards.  That thread has (14) cards that earn a minimum of 4% back. The one card that is missing from that list is the new Citi Custom Cash that pays 5% on up to $500 per month ...

Son of a gun!  I just spent 45 minutes replying, then I got an error when I hit 'Post'.  Not sure I will include links to everything I originally had but here is the nutshell of what I originally posted.    Smiley Sad

Nice list A_H ...

I do think it is missing Nusenda ...  it is not uncommon for Nusenda to offer 5% CB in two quarters per year ...

Then I linked a credit union that you didn't list that offers 5% CB gas. 

Thanks @ptatohed.  Glad to share it. 

Dangit, I hate it when that happens ... losing a post I was working on.  (I sometimes write in word processor file before posting or save docs to one as I go to avoid that issue.)

Yes, good catch on the Nusenda CU.  That would bring the list up to 16.  I admit some of those in that list, however, are fenced membership credit unions that not everyone can join.  That would include the PCMCU and Aerospace FCU.  And it would probably also include the credit union I think you were planning to mention.  Was it L&N Federal Credit Union?  I've heard of them also but they appear to be very strictly geo-fenced to Southeastern and Northern Kentucky around Louisville including a couple of adjacent counties in Indiana.    They offer an uncapped 5% card on gas, similar to the Abound FCU Visa.   Counting L&N, however, would bring the list up to 17

Business Cards

Message 18 of 27
greatscott85
Frequent Contributor

@Aim_High  Always an excellent write up! You're setting the bar very high for yourself Smiley Very Happy. I too am in the market for a decent gas card (more than 2%, if I can). Trying to find a good one that also has no FTF is my added pain. I looked through all your suggestions, I don't think any offered no FTF except the PenFed Platinum (I could be wrong). No, I don't expect you to fine tooth that even further for me (unless you're really bored)! I don't mind the leg work Smiley Happy

I would add something to seemingly be advantageous for PenFed. They also cover EV charging fees for 5% back. Albeit, those charges are minimal. I am curious to see how this evolves with the EV market becoming more accessible to the average consumer. Will gas cards be limiting to "gasoline" or will some like PenFed include EV charging stations? I suppose the MCC will come in to play there. Hoping our next car is electric. 

Message 19 of 27
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@greatscott85 wrote:

@Aim_High  Always an excellent write up! You're setting the bar very high for yourself Smiley Very Happy. I too am in the market for a decent gas card (more than 2%, if I can). Trying to find a good one that also has no FTF is my added pain. I looked through all your suggestions, I don't think any offered no FTF except the PenFed Platinum (I could be wrong). No, I don't expect you to fine tooth that even further for me (unless you're really bored)! I don't mind the leg work Smiley Happy

Thanks, @greatscott85!  I'm not really in the market for one since I'm pretty well covered.  I'm close enough to 5% that I'm not well-served by adding cards.  (I have that Citi Costco for 4% and often have either Discover or Freedom for rotating 5%.) 

Wasn't much legwork for me so I got your answers on no FTF. 

Yes the PenFed Platinum Rewards has no FTF, so that might be your best bet.   You also missed the USAA Cash Back Rewards which has 0% FTF.  However it's got a $3K cap and PenFed Platinum is uncapped, if that matters.   The Huntington Voice card also has 0% FTF.  That is capped at $7K per quarter or $28K per year.  (The thread link shows $7K annually but that is incorrect.)     Finally, the Aerospace FCU card is uncapped 5% on gas with no FTF; however, it's got a very restricted field of membership, according to their website.

Both the Abound FCU and L&N FCU cards have a low FTF but it's not 0%.  They are both at just 1% though.   And they are both uncapped.  So depending on your total spend and your international spend, they might still come out on top of a card with no FTF but a lower rewards or a cap.   With one of those two, you'd be getting uncapped 5% domestically and uncapped 4% after the FTF. 

Business Cards

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.