cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Hotel Cards-SPG/Marriott vs Hilton-Keeper Card and Keeper Card/Luxury Card Combo

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Hotel Cards-SPG/Marriott vs Hilton-Keeper Card and Keeper Card/Luxury Card Combo

I want to focus on either Marriott/SPG or Hilton. Between the two which would be my single best keeper card (or cards if that’s the case)?  No preference on either hotel group and really looking at best overall value (super powers, freebies, signup bonus, etc). Also, what would be my best combo of keeper and luxury cards with overall value the main deciding point?  Won’t be able to get JP Chase card. 

Thoughts on Hyatt card(s) too?  With understanding portfolio of properties much smaller. Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Re: Best Hotel Cards-SPG/Marriott vs Hilton-Keeper Card and Keeper Card/Luxury Card Combo

My vote goes to Hilton Aspire (vs SPG Luxury), for the $450/year category. It's essentially top tier when it comes to perks.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Hotel Cards-SPG/Marriott vs Hilton-Keeper Card and Keeper Card/Luxury Card Combo

Marriott/SPG is better.  The points for Hilton are worth next to nothing.  Marriott/SPG has locations everywhere.  

Hyatt points have good value but they don't have that many locations. I did just stay for free in Paris  a couple of weeks ago on Hyatt points and the Hyatt Madeliene is a nice hotel.   But really Marriotts have so many locations and so many different levels of hotels.  And don't seem to have any problem booking them where Hyatt a lot of there hotels you can never book on points.  

Message 3 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

+1 to @Anonymous.  It's all going to depend on how often you stay, how often you would take advantage of the perks (and how many people are with you), where you stay, when you stay, how you'd use the free night certificate, and how you plan to use your points. 

If you think you'll use your points to transfer to an airline partner, SPG/Marriott is really the only game in town as the points are SIGNIFICANTLY more valuable.  Just using Flying Blue (Air France/KLM) as an example, 120k Marriott points will get you 50k miles but 120k Hilton points will only get you 12k miles, 390k Marriott points will get you 100k miles plus 7 nights in some of the nicest hotels in the world yet 390k Hilton points will only get you 39k miles.

Anybody willing to pay $450 a year can be a top-tier elite at Hilton, and when almost everyone is special, no one is really special.  Marriott Gold comes with some decent perks, but having the card you only need 35 actual combined award and paid nights or $75k in calendar year spend on the card to get Platinum which comes with decent perks.

Using the free night certificate wisely with Marriott can easily offset the entire $450 annual fee, before even adding in things like the $300 credit, Priority Pass, and TSA PreCheck/Global Entry credit.  Marriott awards are predictable and easy to work with, Hilton could be 30,000 or 400,000 points a night for a similarly priced room.

Message 4 of 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

Amex plat, Marriott and Hilton gold.  FHR at 5x and 5x select airline and get hotel points and FHR perks.  In addition, 60k SUB is more flexible and MR points transfer to both making gold and plat a killer combo for a net $80 if you use all the credits.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 5 of 11
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Reading these responses makes me darned glad I went with Marriott/SPG for the time being instead of Hilton!

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 6 of 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

Reading these responses makes me darned glad I went with Marriott/SPG for the time being instead of Hilton!

Well I was SPG/Marriott and switched to Hilton and I have been very happy since and haven’t missed Marriott at all.  

The funny thing is on some stays I’m across the street or down a block from the Marriott or SPG hotel I used to stay at.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 7 of 11
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

Well I was SPG/Marriott and switched to Hilton and I have been very happy since and haven’t missed Marriott at all.  

The funny thing is on some stays I’m across the street or down a block from the Marriott or SPG hotel I used to stay at.

It's just that I had debated getting the Hilton too and was looking for reasons not to b/c I keep getting the 100K offer for the vanilla card with $1k spend and am still going back and forth about accepting it. On one hand we have quite a few Hampton Inns in the area--but on the other hand the card would fill up my 5th and possibly final AMEX revolver slot.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 8 of 11
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@redpat wrote:

arriott at all.  

I am actually on SPG currently (surpise!), but might switch in the future if I decided I want to pay more for a hotel card. I still think Hilton's luxury card offers better value when used the way it's supposed to be used: a hotel card, and not for transferring points. It is a hotel card with better benefits, in my personal use case. Plus SPG has been devalued by the merger, and while it still comes higher than Hilton's, it's not far behind, considering current valuation and the card's earning potential. Don't get me wrong, in the end, I'd rather just upgrade than have to switch programs. That said, I do not have the Hilton card, so take everything I say with big a grain of salt. If I am missing something, then please enlighten me as well.

Message 9 of 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@redpat wrote:

arriott at all.  

I am actually on SPG currently (surpise!), but might switch in the future if I decided I want to pay more for a hotel card. I still think Hilton's luxury card offers better value when used the way it's supposed to be used: a hotel card, and not for transferring points. It is a hotel card with better benefits, in my personal use case. Plus SPG has been devalued by the merger, and while it still comes higher than Hilton's, it's not far behind, considering current valuation and the card's earning potential. Don't get me wrong, in the end, I'd rather just upgrade than have to switch programs. That said, I do not have the Hilton card, so take everything I say with big a grain of salt. If I am missing something, then please enlighten me as well.

I went with the 0 AF Hilton for 75k SUB since I have plat and get gold anyway.  In addition, I have my Amex gold tied to Hilton’s dining program and get 8 additional points since we have many dining options in the program.  Marriott doesn’t have a dining program so Hilton points are much easier to rack up than Marriott points.  If I want suite I’ll book one because I will never depend on an upgrade.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.