Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Hotel, Gas and Dining CC

tag
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Best Hotel, Gas and Dining CC

I recently accepted a new job that will require me to travel weekly. It will mostly be road travel so gas, hotels and dining will be my primary spend. I will be flying some as well but mostly road warrior travel.

I currently use my Amex ED card.  I received an Amex Platinum offer in the mail in January which was only for 50,000 bonus spend and I am pretty sure it has expired. I have also received email offers for Citi's Hilton Honors with 75K bonus after $2K in spend in 3 months and Amex's SPG card with a 35K bonus after 3K in spend.

I kind of would like one card for all to make it simple but thought I would see what suggestions you might have.

Thanks!

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
creditfan
Established Contributor

Re: Best Hotel, Gas and Dining CC

IHG for hotel, AARP for gas and dining both are from chase

Message 2 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit fan - Don't you need to meet an age requirement for the AARP CARD??
Message 3 of 45
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

If you're looking for just 1 card, the Citi Anywhere card would be good if you're a Costco member: 4% gas, 3% dining, 3% travel, all one card.
Message 4 of 45
creditfan
Established Contributor

no age requirement for AARP card. If you search aarp key word there are plenty info around here

Message 5 of 45
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Infirst FCU Visa Rewards, if you qualify for membership.

Citi Costco Anywhere Visa, if paying for a Costco membership is valuable to you.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 45
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was actually thinking of points for airline travel and hotel stays instead of cash back. 

I don't shop at costco so I don't have a membership. 

IGH and AARP wouldn't be a bad option but I don't really stay at the hotels they partner with.  I am female and not sure I want to carry an AARP card either, LOL. 

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 7 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would recommend the Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve. It gets 2 or 3 points respectively on travel and dining and 1 point elsewhere. Using them on their travel portal offers 25/50% respectively more on points used. Either offers 1:1 point transfers to multiple hotel and airline programs. If you wanted a bit more earning power, you could get the Freedom Unlimited for 1.5 points on everything and Freedom for 5 points in select categories quarterly. The Freedom categories are opt in, but easy to do. And being Visa means you won't have problems if a business doesn't take Amex (I've had mostly restuarants not taking Amex when they aren't a major chain).

Message 8 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Sapphire Reserve. Worth every dime. 80% of my spend goes on this card (3x travel/dining/bars). Only downside is no gas bonus category.

You'll use the $300 travel credit quickly so the annual fee is really $150. Benefits make it worthwhile.

Preferred is a good option too, depends on how much you'll spend on the dining/travel category.

Message 9 of 45
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

SPG for hotels. AARP for gas and dining. Between the two, you have everything that you need pretty much covered 😎
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.