Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Hotel, Gas and Dining CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Hotel, Gas and Dining CC

DJ - I'm wondering if you know the answer to this...Outback Steakhouse (among other restaurants) offer a 15% (or it used to be now it's only 10%) Discount for showing an AARP card. I'm wondering if this credit card would count for that, if so it's worth looking into for me.
Message 21 of 45
red259
Super Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

I recently accepted a new job that will require me to travel weekly. It will mostly be road travel so gas, hotels and dining will be my primary spend. I will be flying some as well but mostly road warrior travel.

I currently use my Amex ED card.  I received an Amex Platinum offer in the mail in January which was only for 50,000 bonus spend and I am pretty sure it has expired. I have also received email offers for Citi's Hilton Honors with 75K bonus after $2K in spend in 3 months and Amex's SPG card with a 35K bonus after 3K in spend.

I kind of would like one card for all to make it simple but thought I would see what suggestions you might have.

Thanks!

I skimmed through but did not see you mention what hotels you will be staying at. To me this is the first question that should have been asked before people started listing cards. If you have a number of stays at the same chain you should consider status. How many stays/nights will you have. Will you make status levels or do you have status now with certain chains? The current 35k SPG offer is worth the bonus alone and if you are staying at marriot/spg it can be worth having (I believe the spg card also gives you like 5 nights or so towards status just for having the card, so if you are coming up just short of qualifying this card can make the difference. You could pick up the plat to get status with hilton/marriot/spg and lounge access etc, although if you are staying spg/marriott the ritz card might be a better way to go to get status since you get gold status with marriott/spg the first year and if you put 10k on it then you will get gold status again the following year. Also there is a PP membership and other perks.

If you want a more general travel card that is a strong earner then the CSR would probably be excellent for using on dining/car rentals/hotels etc. It also will give you PP lounge membership and other perks and is slightly better earning than the other cards even on hotel spend. I'd take 3 chase URs over 2 SPG points or 5 marriott pts. So look at where you will be staying etc and consider not only the earning rate of the cards and signups but also how you can leverage the benefits of each card within the different loyalty plans. The citi Hilton reserve will give you two free weekend nights at any hilton property as a signup for 2.5k spend and it will give you gold status as long as you hold the card. HHonors points aren't that valuable, but if you need quick gold status its a $95 AF and two free weekend nights is a decent signup. You should also consider taking a hotel status challenge if you are going to be using one of the big chains. This may get you the status you want just in the course of your regular stays if you are making a lot of stays in a short period of time. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 22 of 45
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Unless you have a known hotel partner, go with the CSR.  Actually I'd pretty much go with the CSR anyway, it's really that good, the CSP is a laughable option if you're even on the road 5% of the time if you do the math, I'm already 1/3 through justifying the additional AF and I flatly can't expense my hotel nor my flights (/rude) and we're only talking food and similar reimburseable expenses, and that's just from 3 weeks on the road.  Has worked in every bar I've been in too for full monty points, double bonus.

Sort gas on another card, several 4% or 5% options available, pick one that doesn't suck (I'm using the Costco card when I go find it, Penfed is a good option, Fort Knox doesn't suck, etc).  No fantastic way to stack points for gas with Chase short of gift cards I guess, maybe, so I'd just go with a good cash back card for it personally.

        
Message 23 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Matt.....

I'm not sure personally but I have read something on this. I'll see if I can find it and send you a link if I can. I know since I was approved for the card I read something specially about Outback and this credit card. I'm guessing yes because on the site it states you don't need to show your AARP card AND your CC-just the CC. Most people leave nothing in the membership field-I made up an 11 digit number-actually my phone number with a 0 added. I wanted something listed there for a membership number versus blank and thought I would try to see if it worked. It did. Now-I'm not even 40 so who knows if I will get any discounts. Smiley Happy
Message 24 of 45
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

I LOVE MY SAM'S CLUB MASTERCARD!

5% - Gas ($6,000 max in purchases year)

3% - Dining  & Travel

1% - Everything Else

The only downside for some is that it only pays out once a year in check that you have to cash at Sam's Club.

I personally love that its like a little piggy bank to me. When I got my chech this year I bought a new TV.

Message 25 of 45
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

@steelers1 wrote:

I LOVE MY SAM'S CLUB MASTERCARD!

5% - Gas ($6,000 max in purchases year)

3% - Dining  & Travel

1% - Everything Else

The only downside for some is that it only pays out once a year in check that you have to cash at Sam's Club.

I personally love that its like a little piggy bank to me. When I got my chech this year I bought a new TV.

I forgot to add NO ANNUAL FEE you just have to be a current Sam's Club member.

Message 26 of 45
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

I recently accepted a new job that will require me to travel weekly. It will mostly be road travel so gas, hotels and dining will be my primary spend. I will be flying some as well but mostly road warrior travel.

I currently use my Amex ED card.  I received an Amex Platinum offer in the mail in January which was only for 50,000 bonus spend and I am pretty sure it has expired. I have also received email offers for Citi's Hilton Honors with 75K bonus after $2K in spend in 3 months and Amex's SPG card with a 35K bonus after 3K in spend.

I kind of would like one card for all to make it simple but thought I would see what suggestions you might have.

Thanks!

I skimmed through but did not see you mention what hotels you will be staying at. To me this is the first question that should have been asked before people started listing cards. If you have a number of stays at the same chain you should consider status. How many stays/nights will you have. Will you make status levels or do you have status now with certain chains? The current 35k SPG offer is worth the bonus alone and if you are staying at marriot/spg it can be worth having (I believe the spg card also gives you like 5 nights or so towards status just for having the card, so if you are coming up just short of qualifying this card can make the difference. You could pick up the plat to get status with hilton/marriot/spg and lounge access etc, although if you are staying spg/marriott the ritz card might be a better way to go to get status since you get gold status with marriott/spg the first year and if you put 10k on it then you will get gold status again the following year. Also there is a PP membership and other perks.

If you want a more general travel card that is a strong earner then the CSR would probably be excellent for using on dining/car rentals/hotels etc. It also will give you PP lounge membership and other perks and is slightly better earning than the other cards even on hotel spend. I'd take 3 chase URs over 2 SPG points or 5 marriott pts. So look at where you will be staying etc and consider not only the earning rate of the cards and signups but also how you can leverage the benefits of each card within the different loyalty plans. The citi Hilton reserve will give you two free weekend nights at any hilton property as a signup for 2.5k spend and it will give you gold status as long as you hold the card. HHonors points aren't that valuable, but if you need quick gold status its a $95 AF and two free weekend nights is a decent signup. You should also consider taking a hotel status challenge if you are going to be using one of the big chains. This may get you the status you want just in the course of your regular stays if you are making a lot of stays in a short period of time. 

Thank you Red! Yours has been the best response so far. As I have indicated, I don't want/need cash back and I don't have memberships to Costco's, Sams Club or anywhere else so evaluating where my hotel usage will be in the best consideration. I primarily use Starwood brands, Hilton, and Hyatt. I will be honest and say that I made a mistake and should have jumped on a 75K offer with Amex Platinum for $3k spend the last night it was available. The problem was that I was UNAWARE it was the last night it would be available. That would have given me gold status as Starwood and Hilton locations. I don't fly on a regular monthly bases but I will have at least 5 or more trips this year flying. I have a 7 night Hilton stay booked in July and we have taken a 4 night in Jan at Starwood and I have an April stay booked at Marriots right now. Those are just personal trips. By next month I expect to average 5-8 nights per month for work and so I should built up nights pretty quickly. 

I think I am going to wait and see for the next month. IF I could get another 75 or 100K offer for Platinum I would probably jump on it even with the higher spend and $550 fee. If I don't get an offer then I will PC my Amex ED to ED Preferred and add on a Hilton and/or SPG card I guess. 

That is kind of where I am thinking at the moment. 

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 27 of 45
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

For gas, I recommend a Sam''s Club membership, the card give 5% on gas.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 28 of 45
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

Thank you Red! Yours has been the best response so far. As I have indicated, I don't want/need cash back and I don't have memberships to Costco's, Sams Club or anywhere else so evaluating where my hotel usage will be in the best consideration. I primarily use Starwood brands, Hilton, and Hyatt. I will be honest and say that I made a mistake and should have jumped on a 75K offer with Amex Platinum for $3k spend the last night it was available. The problem was that I was UNAWARE it was the last night it would be available. That would have given me gold status as Starwood and Hilton locations. I don't fly on a regular monthly bases but I will have at least 5 or more trips this year flying. I have a 7 night Hilton stay booked in July and we have taken a 4 night in Jan at Starwood and I have an April stay booked at Marriots right now. Those are just personal trips. By next month I expect to average 5-8 nights per month for work and so I should built up nights pretty quickly. 

I think I am going to wait and see for the next month. IF I could get another 75 or 100K offer for Platinum I would probably jump on it even with the higher spend and $550 fee. If I don't get an offer then I will PC my Amex ED to ED Preferred and add on a Hilton and/or SPG card I guess. 

This helps a lot ... it seems you are able to choose your own hotels, which is great.  I travel extensively for work, with about 100 nts a year at hotels.

Here is my advice, if you are able to meet multiple minimum spends, go on a little spree

SPG - Currently offering 35K bonus.  Earns 2 pts at SPG and Marriott

Marriott - Currently offering 100K bonus.  Earns 5pts at SPG and Marriott

CSR - Currently offering 50K bonus.  Earns 3pts on all travel and dining, and excellent travel protection

I'd hold off on the Amex Plat, until you see a great bonus.  It is a perks card, not an earnings card.  I only use mine for items I want purchase protection on, 1 MR isn't worth much otherwise.  The 5x's on airfare is nice, but the CSR has much better travel protection.  Hotel Gold status really only gets you breakfast.  If you're staying in hotels a lot, the concierge breakfasts get old, fast.  Upgrades and other perks are pretty much nonexistent IME.  I think the National Executive membership is one of the most valuable.perks, if you rent semi frequently.  But even with the airline credits etc, it's still a high af, for what you get IMO.

Here's how I use my cards:

Airfare - CSR - 3pts, plus travel protection

Car Rental - CSR - 3pts, primary rental coverage

Marriott Stays - SPG, 3 SPG pts > 5 Marriott pts

Dining - CSR - 3pts

Now, the difference is I only stay at Marriotts, vs., you indicated you'd be with all 3 major brands.  It might be best if you want to concentrate on one chain, and do a status challenge.  I personally think Marriott/SPG is the best choice, with their huge footprint.  Points add up fast when combining stays & cc earnings.

For gas, there really isn't a great option for pts vs. cashback.  I'd put it either on my CSR or SPG.

Message 29 of 45
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

This helps a lot ... it seems you are able to choose your own hotels, which is great.  I travel extensively for work, with about 100 nts a year at hotels.

Here is my advice, if you are able to meet multiple minimum spends, go on a little spree

SPG - Currently offering 35K bonus.  Earns 2 pts at SPG and Marriott

Marriott - Currently offering 100K bonus.  Earns 5pts at SPG and Marriott

CSR - Currently offering 50K bonus.  Earns 3pts on all travel and dining, and excellent travel protection

I'd hold off on the Amex Plat, until you see a great bonus.  It is a perks card, not an earnings card.  I only use mine for items I want purchase protection on, 1 MR isn't worth much otherwise.  The 5x's on airfare is nice, but the CSR has much better travel protection.  Hotel Gold status really only gets you breakfast.  If you're staying in hotels a lot, the concierge breakfasts get old, fast.  Upgrades and other perks are pretty much nonexistent IME.  I think the National Executive membership is one of the most valuable.perks, if you rent semi frequently.  But even with the airline credits etc, it's still a high af, for what you get IMO.

Here's how I use my cards:

Airfare - CSR - 3pts, plus travel protection

Car Rental - CSR - 3pts, primary rental coverage

Marriott Stays - SPG, 3 SPG pts > 5 Marriott pts

Dining - CSR - 3pts

Now, the difference is I only stay at Marriotts, vs., you indicated you'd be with all 3 major brands.  It might be best if you want to concentrate on one chain, and do a status challenge.  I personally think Marriott/SPG is the best choice, with their huge footprint.  Points add up fast when combining stays & cc earnings.

For gas, there really isn't a great option for pts vs. cashback.  I'd put it either on my CSR or SPG.

This is great. Thanks for advise. I am not a big fan of Chase. They have always given me small starting limits and I have never had an increase but I have have received auto credit increases from Amex, Discover, Barclay and CapOne. Never with Chase. I have much higher limit with Amex. As I understand it the biggest perk to airlines is by purchasing your flights through Chases site. Which is fine for my personal flights but we seldom fly United. We usually fly Delta or American (not sure who they are a partner with...it could be United, not sure.) I have to purchase my company flights and hotel stays direct from airlines and hotel. I keep going back to CSR and bottom line is I don't much care for Chase I guess. 

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.