Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best/Longest 0% APR Card

tag
impactplayer
New Contributor

Best/Longest 0% APR Card

I am buying a new house next week and I plan on getting a new credit card after closing to purchase some new furniture. I was hoping to apply for just a single card that has the longest 0% APR intro period or, alternatively, a long 0% APR intro period with some other perk (e.g., good rewards) that makes up for not having quite as long of a 0% APR period. I already have a great stable of cards (see my signature below), so it is likely that I would only use this card for its 0% APR period unless, as noted above, there is some redeeming perk. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best/Longest 0% APR Card

I was going to say I got a nice long 0% APR and great perks with my Citi DC, but then I saw your signature...  Citi typically offers close to 2 years on their other cards, Citi Diamond Preferred and/or Simplicity but those perks are pretty meh...  Anything popping up on prequals for AMEX?  When wifey and I got our ED cards (great for stashing MR points) we had a nice long no interest period as well as decent rewards...

Oz

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have seen BoA cards out there recently with 21mos at 0%.

Message 3 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Typically the longest 0% offers are on cards that don't offer rewards. You can find some 12 month 0% offers on reward cards (Amex Everyday is an example), but for the longer terms, it's usually a no frills card.  So it depends how long you are looking for.

However, some, like the Citi Diamond for example, offer a long 0% APR period, after which you can PC it to a more useful rewards product. Of course, policies change and there's no guarantee but most people don't have an issue converting their Diamond to something more useful once the 0% promo ends. Note you cannot convert a Citi Simplicity card, so if that's what you apply for, it will probably be of limited use after the promo ends since you can't change it and it has no rewards.

BOA's no frills Americard offers a long 0% period and you can often do a PC to a Travel or Cash Rewards at a later time when the promo ends (unsure, but they may even allow it before the promo ends, YMMV).

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think my Citi Simplicity is 21 mo.

Message 5 of 19
impactplayer
New Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Typically the longest 0% offers are on cards that don't offer rewards. You can find some 12 month 0% offers on reward cards (Amex Everyday is an example), but for the longer terms, it's usually a no frills card.  So it depends how long you are looking for.

However, some, like the Citi Diamond for example, offer a long 0% APR period, after which you can PC it to a more useful rewards product. Of course, policies change and there's no guarantee but most people don't have an issue converting their Diamond to something more useful once the 0% promo ends. Note you cannot convert a Citi Simplicity card, so if that's what you apply for, it will probably be of limited use after the promo ends since you can't change it and it has no rewards.

BOA's no frills Americard offers a long 0% period and you can often do a PC to a Travel or Cash Rewards at a later time when the promo ends (unsure, but they may even allow it before the promo ends, YMMV).

Thanks for the feedback so far! I like the Citi Diamond idea. Any idea if i could PC/combine it into my DC card and get a huge limit that way? 

Message 6 of 19
impactplayer
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was going to say I got a nice long 0% APR and great perks with my Citi DC, but then I saw your signature...  Citi typically offers close to 2 years on their other cards, Citi Diamond Preferred and/or Simplicity but those perks are pretty meh...  Anything popping up on prequals for AMEX?  When wifey and I got our ED cards (great for stashing MR points) we had a nice long no interest period as well as decent rewards...

Oz

Unfortunately, the prequalification link on Amex is not working for me right now. Not sure why. But I just checked my email and seem to have a pretty sweet offer for the USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum. It is telling me (i) $0 introductory fee on each balance transfer through April 30, 2017, (ii) 0% APR on balance transfers until August 1, 2018, (iii) after that, standard APR of 8.40% and (iv) no annual fee. 

This seems like a pretty great solution. I could charge everything to my Citi DC, then transfer the balance to this card for no fee and 0% APR until August 2018. That way I get an extended no interest period and 2% CB. That may be the best of both worlds. Any thoughts? 

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@impactplayer wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oz

Unfortunately, the prequalification link on Amex is not working for me right now. Not sure why. But I just checked my email and seem to have a pretty sweet offer for the USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum. It is telling me (i) $0 introductory fee on each balance transfer through April 30, 2017, (ii) 0% APR on balance transfers until August 1, 2018, (iii) after that, standard APR of 8.40% and (iv) no annual fee. 

This seems like a pretty great solution. I could charge everything to my Citi DC, then transfer the balance to this card for no fee and 0% APR until August 2018. That way I get an extended no interest period and 2% CB. That may be the best of both worlds. Any thoughts? 

+1

Yes, do exactly that lol.  USAA is pretty solid with offers, especially when an APR is listed, even more so when the APR is so low.  I'd venture an educated guess a nice CL will go along with that low APR.  I was thinking of recommending USAA but didn't know if you were eligible.  Also, no BT fees with USAA = really nice.  I'd jump on that card assuming the offer isn't expired after you close on the home.  That way you like you said, you can charge to a card to get the rewards, BT (for free) to USAA for a long BT, and that APR is pretty darn close to the lower USAA offers on their Rate Advantage.  

Oz

Message 8 of 19
FroggieMom
Regular Contributor

@impactplayer wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oz

You will not earn 2% CB on the balance you transfer....just so you know.  I don't know what area you live in but I have a Nebraska Furniture Mart near me and they offer way longer interest free promos on purchases that any other card.  They pull EXP IIRC.  Large selection of furniture, flooring, accessories, appliances at decent prices.  They stand behind what they sell too.  I just purchased a mattress from them a few weeks ago and when we took the plastic off the corner was stained (which was weird) I called them up about it knowing stains will void the warranty and they brought out a new one, no charge...even though we didn't have the 1st one delivered Smiley Very Happy.  Other furniture stores offer similar promos, unless you are staying away from store cards entirely and want another major card.  Congrats on the new house!

Summer 2018 FICO 8 scores~
Gardening until 2019....at least
Message 9 of 19
newhis
Valued Contributor

@impactplayer wrote:

How about your current Discover, try to get a 0%/12 month APR promo.

Next quarter they will offer 5% on Home Improvement Stores. Also check the Discover Deals, for extra cash back. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.