Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best OVERALL travel card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best OVERALL travel card?

What do you guys think about the overall BEST travel card for everyday spend? 

I don't mean just by miles/dollar rewards, but also with travel perk too. Annual fees don't matter to me, but let's keep it below $450 just to make it whitin my budget range. 

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best OVERALL travel card?

What kind of travel perks apply to you?

Some cards offer TSA Pre or Global Entry application fee reimbursement.

But if someone already has one or both, doesn't care to wait in line, or doesn't plan on traveling internationally, then those perks won't do that person any good.

Some cards limit your flight credit reimbursement to just one selected airline per year.

You really just have to research your needs in a travel card and see what is applicable to your situation.

Also, there's no point in paying an annual fee if a similar card delivers just as much without a fee.

Just compare cards and do the math based on where you plan on traveling.

Message 2 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Living around a city where the airport is small, and the lines are 10 minutes max, TSA pre-check wouldn't be a useful perk to me. Although it might be a useful feature if I'm traveling internationally? Correct? I don't know a whole lot about international traveling, as I've never done it, but plan to do so in the future. 

Overall, I don't like the idea of a card being tied to a particular or "partner" airline. I'd like the flexibility of using my card at any airline I choose, whether it's Jet Blue, Delta, American Airlines, etc. I'd also like to be able to get perks at staying at hotels, but those don't really have to be "partner" either, and I actually prefer MORE flexibility with hotels rather than flights. It does seem like, however, that many cards provide benefits at luxury hotels only rather than ones for the average Joe. 

I believe any card with travel perks has an annual fee though.

Message 3 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

As with most things in the credit world, there is no single universal "best" for all situations.

It sounds like you want something with points that transfer to hotels as well as airlines and still give perks but don't want to pay for Amex Platinum or Citi Thankyou Prestige.

With those limitations, the only cards that come to mind are Chase Sapphire Preferred and Citi Thankyou Premier, or you could forego perks and get a "redeemable against travel purchases" card like Barclays Arrival or Arrival+, CapitalOne Venture or Venture One, or Bank of America Travel Rewards.
Message 4 of 35
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Living around a city where the airport is small, and the lines are 10 minutes max, TSA pre-check wouldn't be a useful perk to me. Although it might be a useful feature if I'm traveling internationally? Correct? I don't know a whole lot about international traveling, as I've never done it, but plan to do so in the future. 

Overall, I don't like the idea of a card being tied to a particular or "partner" airline. I'd like the flexibility of using my card at any airline I choose, whether it's Jet Blue, Delta, American Airlines, etc. I'd also like to be able to get perks at staying at hotels, but those don't really have to be "partner" either, and I actually prefer MORE flexibility with hotels rather than flights. It does seem like, however, that many cards provide benefits at luxury hotels only rather than ones for the average Joe. 

Orbitz than? It has no AF and the card is decent if you rather look for a deal over which hotel/airline you want to use... No travel perks but is a 10% CB card when you use Orbitz and 2% everywhere else and has no FTF as well....    IF you want perks you should see what airlines and hotels you prefer generally and choose the card that matches with the partners. Citi, Chase and Amex have good cards but they all partner with certain airlines and hotels. Other than those you also have the Capital One Venture which isn't that great IMHO and Bank of America along with Discover both have travel cards but I am not sure what they offer.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 5 of 35
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
As with most things in the credit world, there is no single universal "best" for all situations.

It sounds like you want something with points that transfer to hotels as well as airlines and still give perks but don't want to pay for Amex Platinum or Citi Thankyou Prestige.

With those limitations, the only cards that come to mind are Chase Sapphire Preferred and Citi Thankyou Premier, or you could forego perks and get a "redeemable against travel purchases" card like Barclays Arrival or Arrival+, CapitalOne Venture or Venture One, or Bank of America Travel Rewards.

Meh barclay's and Capital one offerings are pretty Meh specially the Capital one offerings.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 6 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the Orbitz card even have an EMV chip?

Message 7 of 35
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does the Orbitz card even have an EMV chip?

IDK since I don't have any interest in the card...

Oh its not a 10%CB but 10% in rewards.

Message 8 of 35
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You are correct about the AF but you get what you pay for.  Amex plat gives you SPG (it would be a HR if Marriot gold after merger) and Hilton gold status, along with FHR (fine hotel & resorts) and Hotel Collection benefits, rental car status, airport lounges (delta, centurion and priorty pass) to name a few for a net cost of $250 after a $200 airline credit.  I would mention Prestige but it's getting the s*%* kicked out of in July 2017 with benefits being nerfed.

So in the long run I think you can get well over $250 on travel benefits and not be stuck with one Hotel Chain, Car Rental Chain or Airline.

At the end of the day if you go cheap you get nothing also.  Plus you don't need the swipes for points and you still get all the benefits. 

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 9 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought about PC'ing my Double Cash to a Citi Prestige, but don't like what I've been hearing about the card having weaker benefits starting in July 2017. 

It would be an easier change, no hard pull... The problem is I just product changed from a TYP to a DC in May. 

I really like what the AMEX Gold PR is offering ($100 airline fee credit, hotel credits, free night, and roadside assistance) but I also am worried about the whole NPSL thing... Don't want to use my card for the third time and have it declined because AMEX doesn't trust me to spend $1,000 a month on it. Plus I've heard man of their hotel partners are premium hotels. 

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.