Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Secured Credit Cards in 2014?

tag
st789
New Contributor

Re: Best Secured Credit Cards in 2014?

thanks baller4life. I will check it out tomorrow. 

Are there any other secured cards that get good reviews from the members of this forum?

Message 11 of 24
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Although it's not that popular, US Bank Korean Air Skypass Secured is a good one to have.  One of old friend got this card a few years ago, he said he really liked it.

https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/skypass-visa-secured-credit-card.html

Review:

http://www.nerdwallet.com/card-details/card-name/US-Bank-SKYPASS-Secured-Visa

Also, found this top 5 secured credit card review, in case you haven't read it elsewhere (dated Feb. 24, 2014 so fairly new):

http://www.wisebread.com/the-5-best-secured-credit-cards

Best wishes!

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 12 of 24
Jeff007245
Regular Contributor

@st789 wrote:

thanks baller4life. I will check it out tomorrow. 

Are there any other secured cards that get good reviews from the members of this forum?

Recommended Starter Cards

1. Bank of America Secured

2. Wells Fargo Secured

3. US Bank Secured

4. Citi Bank Secured

4. Discover IT > Student > Secured

6. Capital One Secured

7. CU Secured

8. Store Cards ( Whichever Pleases The Individual)

Rebuilders

1. Merrick Bank

2. First Progress

Not Recommended

1. Credit One Bank

2. First Premier Bank

Garden
2/16/14
|*****1/2014 - NPSL*****| *4/2011 6,000 CL* |*11/2011 - 5,000 CL*| *9/2012 - 850 CL* | *1/2014 - 500 CL* |*2/2014 - 6,000 CL*|
Message 13 of 24
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
Bank of America. It graduates and they return your deposit. Many have been graduated as soon as 6 to 9 months.

That's it.

Try applying Bank of America-!! Keep checking your bank account for a week or so, even if you get the 60 second denial.

You can still be approved after that.(money taken from acct to fund the sec deposit)....

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 14 of 24
fairytale

Bank of America offers a nice one that seems to unsecure easily (and get rewards on). My next choice would be SDFCU since they have a very low APR, no HP, and no annual fee (but doesn't unsecure). TD Bank has one too but you can only apply within a branch. It takes twice as long as BOA to unsecure but it will eventually.

Have you tried applying for the Discover IT card? I originally applied expecting to be declined and was surprised at an approval. Also was approved for Chase Freedom after 2 recon calls... and this is coming from someone that has no credit score & no credit history. Cap1 didn't even give me a chance, instant denial (and they're supposed to be the easiest of the secured cards to be approved for).

Message 15 of 24
JLK93
Established Contributor

The best secured cards, that graduate to unsecured and offer rewards, are mostly for building credit as opposed to rebuilding credit. If you can qualify for any of these top tier cards then by all means sign up.

If you can't qualify for the best secured cards, my favorites for rebuilding credit are SDFCU, Capital One and Open Sky. I've been happy with all three of them.

If you can't qualify for the top tier of secured cards, but you still want a secured card that graduates to unsecured your best bet is a local credit union.

Message 16 of 24
st789
New Contributor

@oilcan12 wrote:

The best secured cards, that graduate to unsecured and offer rewards, are mostly for building credit as opposed to rebuilding credit. If you can qualify for any of these top tier cards then by all means sign up.

If you can't qualify for the best secured cards, my favorites for rebuilding credit are SDFCU, Capital One and Open Sky. I've been happy with all three of them.

If you can't qualify for the top tier of secured cards, but you still want a secured card that graduates to unsecured your best bet is a local credit union.

I truly do not believe I will qualify for any unsecured cards right now. 

As for the premier secured cards, it would be a gamble. Do any of them do the app process with only a SOFT inquiry? I'm concerned about adding any HARD inquiries right now. 

Message 17 of 24
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@st789 wrote:

@oilcan12 wrote:

As for the premier secured cards, it would be a gamble. Do any of them do the app process with only a SOFT inquiry? I'm concerned about adding any HARD inquiries right now. 

I know SDFCU will do a SP when you  join. But I dont know about their SCC

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 18 of 24
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Wade64 wrote:

@st789 wrote:

@oilcan12 wrote:

Also opensky will not even do a credit pull

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 19 of 24
st789
New Contributor

@Wade64 wrote:

@Wade64 wrote:

@st789 wrote:

@oilcan12 wrote:

Also opensky will not even do a credit pull

Considering my scores are currently in the 570 range and I do not have a credit card, would you recommend I go with Sky option since they do not do a hard inquiry OR should I go ahead and take a chance with the BOFA  secured card since they are the bank I plan to have a longterm relationship with?

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.