Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Signup Bonus for Statement Credit/Cash Back/Gift Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Signup Bonus for Statement Credit/Cash Back/Gift Card

Hello,

My wife and I have each had our own mileage card (Me Venture One, Her Alaska) for years, but recently I've decided to step up my credit card game.  

We in no way want to be churners, but while I am applying for new cash back cards, I wanted to get one card simply to use the bonus and then close or product change it later.

We don't travel right now and won't any time soon with two kids under two.  

So my question, which card has the best signup bonus that can be used for a statement credit, or gift card, etc?  I know the points aren't as valuable this way, but the way I see it free money is free money in a time where money is in short supply.

The Sapphire has the 50k + 5k deal going on right now, and I've read it can be used for a 1:1 statement credit.  Is that true?  Are there any better offers out there?

Thanks!

FYI the plan is to get the Discover it, Chase Freedom, Citi Cash Back, and maybe the Citi Costco Card.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Best Signup Bonus for Statement Credit/Cash Back/Gift Card

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

My wife and I have each had our own mileage card (Me Venture One, Her Alaska) for years, but recently I've decided to step up my credit card game.  

We in no way want to be churners, but while I am applying for new cash back cards, I wanted to get one card simply to use the bonus and then close or product change it later.

We don't travel right now and won't any time soon with two kids under two.  

So my question, which card has the best signup bonus that can be used for a statement credit, or gift card, etc?  I know the points aren't as valuable this way, but the way I see it free money is free money in a time where money is in short supply.

The Sapphire has the 50k + 5k deal going on right now, and I've read it can be used for a 1:1 statement credit.  Is that true?  Are there any better offers out there?

Thanks!

FYI the plan is to get the Discover it, Chase Freedom, Citi Cash Back, and maybe the Citi Costco Card.

Welcome to the forum and stepping up your game ...Lol

CSP value would be about $500

PRG 50k for 1k spend value $500

Venture 40k for 3k spend $400

Others that may interest you 

Amex BCE BCP

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Baby steps.  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 13
Involver
Valued Contributor

Become a member of Alliant CU and you may receive a targeted offer for 50k points for $2000 spend, worth $500 in statement credit or it can be deposited directly to your account.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

wait for the best sign up bonuses on those two - discover it and freedom. historically, right before the holidays. sometimes getting a referral and/or adding authorized user adds a little bit.

besides getting bonuses on credit card sign up... may i suggest bank/CU checking/savings sign up bonuses also. i don't do this personally but research/look into this more. it's hardly ever mentioned here as this is mainly a credit card forum but there are sites/blogs/forums about this and you just might find it appealing ie. profitable. =p google is your friend. goodluck!

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI My FICO per my Citi Card Benefit is 829, if that helps the advice or not.

Message 6 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

FYI My FICO per my Citi Card Benefit is 829, if that helps the advice or not.

With those scores you can get anything you want 

But here's my thinking 

While cash is your preference of choice and you don't travel due to the kids ages 

Travel cards tend to be more lucrative in points earned and bonuses 

So that travel card may offer more points depending on which card and you come out ahead in cashback for the next few years 

Not to mention as the kids get older Disney will be calling you and you can start earning points now to offset plane, hotel and misc money 

However higher earners mean AF's which is something to consider as well

Just my 2 cents tho

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see some of those big bonus, big benefit cards, even some of the with the bigger AFs and they look pretty sleak, and it does't take very much travel to make it worthwhile.

Cash back is definitlely the least sexy, and least lucrative in some ways, but when you spend pretty much zero a month on restaurants and travel, it's hard to justify having those rewards points when I won't use them for a year or longer.  We will be on a very tight budget, I'm clipping coupons for crying out loud.

I have calculated I will get about 2.3% cash back on every purchase using the Discover/Citi/Chase/Costco combo, between rotating categories and what not.  

Perhaps I go full blown cash back right now, and see what kind of travel/miles offers roll out for the holidays, that'll be about 6 months between credit pulls, and start looking towards the traveling future.  

Thanks for all the advice!

Message 8 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I see some of those big bonus, big benefit cards, even some of the with the bigger AFs and they look pretty sleak, and it does't take very much travel to make it worthwhile.

Cash back is definitlely the least sexy, and least lucrative in some ways, but when you spend pretty much zero a month on restaurants and travel, it's hard to justify having those rewards points when I won't use them for a year or longer.  We will be on a very tight budget, I'm clipping coupons for crying out loud.

I have calculated I will get about 2.3% cash back on every purchase using the Discover/Citi/Chase/Costco combo, between rotating categories and what not.  

Perhaps I go full blown cash back right now, and see what kind of travel/miles offers roll out for the holidays, that'll be about 6 months between credit pulls, and start looking towards the traveling future.  

Thanks for all the advice!

Its nice to see someone who's done the research and has a plan outlined already for success ....Proceed and bravo

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Now if they only had some sort of daycare specific credit card, 5%...

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.