cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Strategy: Multi-payments vs. One payment?

tag
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

Re: Best Strategy: Multi-payments vs. One payment?

Because multiple payments keeps your %Util in check, which raises your credit score, which means that *have* to give you a better rate down the road, which means less interest for them.

(I joke)

Message 11 of 20
Crysis
New Contributor

Personally, I have not had any AA and I have been making multiple payments every month for more than 2 years.  Basically, I pay a few days after I get paid.  (I don't like making payments until my check is no longer pending). 

In the garden since 06 Nov, 2020. Plan to stay til March/April to get one more card for the AZEO, then garden for at least a year.
New acquisitions
Kohls 0/300 Nov2020
Capital One 25/300 0ct 2020
Message 12 of 20
Stralem
Established Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

I'm pretty much convinced the "multiple payments = FR" is a load of bunk.

"What? How dare you pay me back my money on time in more than one lump sum! You're suspended until further notice, worm!"

I make multiple "micro" payments on *ALL* of my accounts on occasion. Chase doesn't care. Barclays and Discover responded with generous CLIs. Citi and Amex haven't mentioned anything, but to be honest, I wouldn't give two sh*ts if they did. And as always, people who whinge about being targeted for FR or AA despite "perfect payment history", etc, are usually leaving something out.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, dude. Just pay your bills on time and concentrate on the important things in life.

Totally agree with these three statements.  I will never understand people bending over backwards and stressing themselves out to please these credit card companies.  They should be the ones bending over backwards to please you (the customer).  These companies did not get as big as they are by being stupid.  If you are using your cards reponsibly they realize you have a bunch of other options to use and they are not going to sweat you over little things. 

I think for many, it's a result of coming from nothing credit-wise and not wanting to go back. My theory is, after finally being deigned "worthy" enough to be let inside by lenders after having been denied for so long, they develop a submissive deferential attitude towards them so as to remain in their good graces. You know, so as not to be kicked back out into the cold, so to speak. It's... an understandable attitude since we all came from squat, but holy sh*t, does it drive me up the wall.

I'd eat a bullet before ever treating a bank like my f**king master.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 13 of 20
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

I have always paid my Amex twice a month: one to cover the minimum and the other one to pay the charges in full before the statement cuts. I do that just in case I forget the 2nd payment, I'm covered (for the minimum, at least). Did that for 3 months on my first Amex and I got a great CL on my next Amex card and also got the 61-day CLI on the first one. I used to pay multiple times for Discover too since I only have $750 CL on it but I've quit using my Discover card since I got the Amex. Maybe twice a month would be a good midway point between OCD-ness and not freaking the creditors out :-b

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 14 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I look at it differently: the vast majority of people pay their card once a month.  Routinely, we're talking 95%+ of consumers.  All things being equal, having worked at a lender and seeing some of their automated account checks, I'd rather be in amongst the 95% instead of the 5 or less.  Needle in a haystack principle.

Does it matter, probably not, but I do attempt to minimize my exposure to lender review: I might be somewhat paranoid on that.

That said, making 5x as many payments in a month, is 5x the amount of time.  Pretty linear other than I suppose someone making several payments a month will build up muscle memory for making payments in their smartphone app faster than I will.  *shrug* minor but non-zero opportunity cost to my thinking, not that I make anywhere close to effective use of all my time anyway.

        
Message 15 of 20
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

From your perspective, you are paying off your credit card debt, so you should immediately get your credit limit back to 100% usable. However, thats not the way it works in reality.

From the credit companies perspective, they receive a payment, but they put a hold on it for a short while, because there may not be funds in the sending bank to cover it. Consider the person who deposits a bad check, then transfers money to another financial institution. They might even transfer it from the second to a third place, to further obscure their trail. The funds clear within a day or two (government rules), but the fraud might not be detected for weeks or even months.

The check may even have legitimate bank numbers on it, and only much later do the banks get a complaint from a REAL account holder wondering why a bunch of money went missing from their account 2 months ago...

So the bank trusts you with a certain amount of revolving credit each month. If you charge up to that limit and pay off every week, you are increasing their credit exposure by over 4X. And even if you say "well, i've been doing this for months now, they know i'm good for the money", well, maybe a con artist would first get the banks trust in just that manner before trying for the big payoff.

Its really just a chain of promises. The banks have to trust you, or the whole system bogs down in bureaucratic red tape. But they will only trust you so far.

+1.  Just because a payment clears your bank account doesn't mean that the payment can't be later reversed by the bank... they have a certain legally allowable period of time to do this and it is much longer.  The lender is giving the consumer benefit of the doubt (aka: credit) and accepting the deposit as it comes in.  If that cardholder is frequently taking the account near limit and paying off multiple times a month, this practice introduces more risk than the lender had planned for when they approved the cardholder's credit limit, since the cardholder is using more than his issued limit, even if it appears as though the balance is below this limit.  Some banks will surely perceive it to be risky.

Also, as Revelate mentioned, it is normal to pay the amount due on the statement once a month.  This is what the majority of cardholders do.  Paying 4+ times a month is abnormal and will attract attention, especially if the lender doesn't think that the cardholder's reported income supports the volume of transactions.  Even if not manufacturing spend, some people believe that it is a good prcatice not to call attention and have the lender look into it more closely.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 16 of 20
Networth
Frequent Contributor

I pay them once a month. Why not just pay them 15k at once rather than 3k every week, its easier for me and potentially less risk for them. I really wouldn't stress about it, as long as you PIF for that month.

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 17 of 20
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

I have been paying weekly instead of monthly, since I get paid weekly instead of monthly. Nobody has complained. This practice generally wasn't PIF, but I suspect if I were to PIF on a schedule they'd be okay with it too. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 18 of 20
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I say if you're paying them on-time...why does it matter how many times you pay them a month? I paid Chase 3 times this month and Discover 4 times. When I get extra money...I'd rather put it toward a balance.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 19 of 20
mt2va
Established Contributor

I don't think USAA cares either.  I had 2 secured CC with them and often paid more than once a month depending on what was charged.  In fact often I never had a minimum due on my statement because of this.  The limits were fairly low ($500 & $600) so it wasn't unusual for me to put more charges through total than the card limit in a month.  Which of course only worked if I made extra payments. 

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.