Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Travel Airline Miles Credit card?

tag
Archangels
New Contributor

Best Travel Airline Miles Credit card?

I am looking into applying for a travel rewards credit card, what is the best airline miles credit card? 

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Travel Airline Miles Credit card?

It depends on where you usual fly from/to, the airline that you prefer flying with, and how often you actually fly and travel.
Message 2 of 21
Archangels
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It depends on where you usual fly from/to, the airline that you prefer flying with, and how often you actually fly and travel.

Only fly a few times a year, Doesn't matter the airline, most likely from west coast (Portland, Seattle) to east coast (Orlando, NYC, DC) etc.

Message 3 of 21
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

The best travel card will depend on what matters most to you and how you want to go about using your points. The destinations you wish to travel to also matter.

If you do a search on the fourm or google with Myfico included with the search terms. You will find countless threads about this topic which should help you to understand all the different options available to you. Then you can come back to this thread and ask some specific questions you would like answered and the community will help you out!

I also recommend spending some time on awardhacker.com to get a feel of the programs/redemption rates for the destinations you wish to travel to. Once you find some information from AH. Go to that loyality programs website and play around with the search engine to get an idea of how easy awards are to find.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

get a wells fargo propel, then in 6 months, get a wells fargo visa siggy (or ask your family or friend to get a siggy now while you get the propel).

• broad bonus category (travel, gas, dining)
  • flight redemption with any airline (book from wf portal) at effectively 4.5% rate
  • no AF (no lounges or airline perks neither)

perfect for infrequent travelers (even for many frequent ones, lol).

Message 5 of 21
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

It does matter where you live and where you travel to. For me, it does not make sense to even consider Chase because their partners do not have a good presence on where I live and where I travel to... and I live in a Delta hub. Even if you say "West Coast", it's still not definitive because Southwest airlines might be a solid choice for from SoCal, but not for Seattle or Portland.

Personally, I have an Amex Delta Platinum. - No, it does not earn super miles, but I like the perks. I am considering an Amex charge card (Plat), and probably transfer most of the points to Delta. Not that I am loyal to Delta, but that is the airlines that make the most sense to me (who will still treat me like a human being).

Message 6 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Amex Platinum may be worth consideration:

$550 AF...but it comes with a lot of credits...but they can be tricky to use.

Great rewards on airfare...but no delay/cancellation protection.

Unrivaled lounge footprint for PDX/SEA.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 21
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

If you don't fly a lot then an airline card may not be the best option for you regardless of where you live.  Airline cards are extremely hard to rack up a lot of points with unless you fly a lot, hence an airline card.  Since you don't you may be better off with a cash back card or even card that has a transfer arrangement with the airline you prefer to fly.  For example if Delta is your preferred choice you could always get the no annual fee Delta Blue (Or Delta Gold for luggage) and pair it with another Amex card (like the Amex Gold if you spend a lot of dining and grocery, ED/P) and just transfer your earning from the card(s) you use over to Delta via transfer.

I would not recommend the Amex Platinum for a person who doesn't fly a lot because it's a lot to pay for an occasional use card.  Outside of air travel the card doesn't have any other allure.  Lounge access doesn't matter because you don't fly enough and even worse if you're like me and the biggest airport here only has an Admiral Lounge and a couple of very crowded and crappy Priority Pass Lounges.  

With that being said...do you home work and continue to ask questions on this here forum like you're doing.  You'll get a varierty of opinions such as this one that I've provided.  Take your time, read through them, ask more questions if needed, and then make an educated decision.  

Best of luck in which ever direction you choose to go. 

Message 8 of 21
redpat
Senior Contributor

I would have to say Amex Plat and Gold combo can be a monster for Delta miles w/ the addition of Ebates online and instore MR points.  If you can use all the credits these two cards are a steal for a net AF of $80.  MR rewards, MR offers, 5x flights, 4x on grocery and dining.  Then add Ebates and wow......

Plat gets you into Delta Sykclub, hotel status at Marriott and Hilton.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 9 of 21
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Net annual fee of $80, actual annual fee that you pay of $800 for those two cards.  I have the Gold card and love it, I don't travel often enough or far enough for a Plat to make sense to me.  But 4x on dining and groceries is worth the $250 annual fee for me with my family's spend.  I feel that you almost have to lock in to an airline to really see the benefits in any ecosystem.  I use my MR on Delta and I use my UR on Southwest.  I've gotten great deals on each for me and my family in the past year.  If you have no loyalty to any airline I would probably go with the CSP or CSR, you can transfer to some airlines and those you can't you can book with a bonus using your points.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.