cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Travel Airline Miles Credit card?

tag
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Best Travel Airline Miles Credit card?

@EAJuggalo wrote:

Net annual fee of $80, actual annual fee that you pay of $800 for those two cards.  I have the Gold card and love it, I don't travel often enough or far enough for a Plat to make sense to me.  But 4x on dining and groceries is worth the $250 annual fee for me with my family's spend.  I feel that you almost have to lock in to an airline to really see the benefits in any ecosystem.  I use my MR on Delta and I use my UR on Southwest.  I've gotten great deals on each for me and my family in the past year.  If you have no loyalty to any airline I would probably go with the CSP or CSR, you can transfer to some airlines and those you can't you can book with a bonus using your points.

You have to spend money to make money, lol.  As I stated if you can use the credits.  The only credit I may lose now and then on a monthly basis is the Uber credit but that's only $15.  In addition, Amex runs transfer bonuses to their partners which Chase doesn't do.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 11 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

I would not recommend the Amex Platinum for a person who doesn't fly a lot because it's a lot to pay for an occasional use card.  Outside of air travel the card doesn't have any other allure.  Lounge access doesn't matter because you don't fly enough and even worse if you're like me and the biggest airport here only has an Admiral Lounge and a couple of very crowded and crappy Priority Pass Lounges.  

OP uses PDX and SEA, so that's a Centurion and three SkyClubs between them in addition to PP.

Flight frequency and companions are considerations...but there are a few lounge options.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would love a point transfer bonus to Delta. Except amex hasn't done that since 2011, and maybe it will never happen again, lol.
Message 13 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I would love a point transfer bonus to Delta. Except amex hasn't done that since 2011, and maybe it will never happen again, lol.

Codeshare booking via an alliance partner isn't for everyone, but there have been MR promos for Flying Blue and Virgin Atlantic.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's definitely not for me, my local tiny airport apparently isn't on Virgin Atlantic of air France's radar.

I do drive 120mi to bigger airport occasionally, but when that happens, AA is usually a better option with direct flights.
Message 15 of 21
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

I would not recommend the Amex Platinum for a person who doesn't fly a lot because it's a lot to pay for an occasional use card.  Outside of air travel the card doesn't have any other allure.  Lounge access doesn't matter because you don't fly enough and even worse if you're like me and the biggest airport here only has an Admiral Lounge and a couple of very crowded and crappy Priority Pass Lounges.  

OP uses PDX and SEA, so that's a Centurion and three SkyClubs between them in addition to PP.

Flight frequency and companions are considerations...but there are a few lounge options.

Yes...if you start adding companions then there can be an argument made there.  The Centurion lounge are decent...SkyClubs, eh.  OP, if you don't travel with companions, even with the Centurion lounge I still would't recommend this card as you'd probably still be better off spending $25 bucks at a decent airport restaurant and while still enjoying a certain level of comfort.  Now if you start to need access to internet, showers, access to printers and things of such, again, there can be an argument made again for the Platinum.  Pros and Cons from all views...decision, decision right?

Message 16 of 21
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
It's definitely not for me, my local tiny airport apparently isn't on Virgin Atlantic of air France's radar.

I do drive 120mi to bigger airport occasionally, but when that happens, AA is usually a better option with direct flights.

I hear ya.  Our airport isn't small but it's certainly not what it use to be.  Southwest is dominant here and I don't fly Southwest, ever.  American, Delta, Alaska, and United are here but have a VERY small footprint.  My preferred choice is Alaska via American and vice-versa.  Delta is pretty decent but here you're going to have to connect in MSP, DTW, or ATL via regionals.  I miss what our airport use to be...hasn't been the same since TWA went away.  Smiley Sad  

Message 17 of 21
Cinemagic
Established Member

Airline availability for you will probably dictate which card. I fly American and so I like the Barclays Aviator Red MasterCard. They often have a promo and giveaway and 50 or 60,000 miles for signing up which is the equivalent of a round-trip ticket right off the bat. American also has a shopping program that lets you make your normal online purchases and keep earning miles and also extends the longevity of the miles you’ve already earned through their frequent traveler program. So again depending on your nearby airport- which airlines hub it is.. will help you pick an airline.
Message 18 of 21
Cinemagic
Established Member

Message 19 of 21
Archangels
New Contributor

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.