Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Travel Card for Beginners

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Travel Card for Beginners

I want to take a minute to thank everyone for your helpful replies.

To answer a few questions...no I will NOT be travelling over seas. I never have, and I doubt that I will in the near future. So that is really a non-issue for me.

I am a member of Enterprise rewards/point system.

I am thinking if I do go for a travel card, I should not choose a card that only works for one specific brand (ie: Marriott, Hilton, Southwest only). I like to use different companies, and normally go with whatever is cheapest. Although, the Marriott credit card does look pretty appealling...perhaps, will app for that one in a few years. I may just stick with the cards I have now, and apply at a later time when an AF and the spend for a good bonus is more likely for myself.

I am looking more into the Arrival+ then PC it to the regular Arrival after a year, unless I can justify the fee. Also looking at the BOA Travel Rewards card, as it may be a good fit. One other I am looking into is the Priceline Visa credit card. I have used that website to book some of my most recent travel, and think it might be a good match. Does anyone have this card or no any additional details regarding it?

Message 21 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently PC my BoA cash rewards to travel rewards card. No annual fee.$100 sign up bonus for spending 500 in 3 months. 1.5 points per dollar which is 1.5% on travel expenses. 3 points per dollar on travel booked through their travel site (I believe they match competitor prices but I've only seen that claim via nerdwallet). Plus 10% if you have a checking account to with them. Makes sense for me because I have a preferred account t, essentially I get 1.875% on all my purchases.

Agreed. Takes all the guess work out of it. Also, no foreign transaction fee. Most cards have an FTF of 3%.

Message 22 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love that the card has no FTF, but I hear that BoA rips you off with exchange rate. I think I'll use my quicksilver where I can when I'm overseas.
Message 23 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I reccomend AAA member rewards card by BoA

• 3X points = 3% cash back on all travel purchases
  • 2X points = 2% cash back on gas, grocery and drug store purchases
  • 1 point per $1 = 1% cash back on purchases everywhere else

donwnside to this card is 2% Foreign Transaction Fee

Message 24 of 36
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Best Travel Card for Beginners

There's really no such thing.  Best doesn't depend on whether one is a beginner or a seasoned credit vet.  It's a matter of one's spend, needs, wants,. goals, priorities and preferences.  Both beginners and those with experience can and do vary in all of those matters.

@Anonymous wrote:

I would prefer a card with no annual fee

As always, consider total cost/benefit -- not just AF/no AF.

With travel cards you have to crunch the numbers and figure out some way to determine value per point/mile.  If you're not willing to go through all that or if your spend doesn't justify a travel card (some do require a large volume to benefit) then a cash back card may be the way to go.  Don't just assume that traveling means that  travel card is the best fit.

Message 25 of 36
ddemari
Super Contributor

Possibly check cap1 for prequal. I like the venuture1 visa signature. Nice limit and easy sign up bonus.
Message 26 of 36
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your siggy shows the BofA Travel Rewards, is this AAA member rewards somewhat better or less?

Message 27 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Your siggy shows the BofA Travel Rewards, is this AAA member rewards somewhat better or less?

Once you get past the bonus factor (it would take $6,667 travel spend on AAA's 3% to break even with Travel Rewards 1.5% + $100 bonus), I would imagine that the AAA card is better if your travel is mostly domestic. For overseas travel spend you'd be effectively earning 1% once you factor in foreign transaction fee compared to the 1.5% for the BofA Travel Rewards. I think VeganMakePeace was suggesting AAA because OP said he/she had no plans to travel overseas.

Message 28 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I tried to PC my BoA card to AAA but its not possible since its an affiliate card not straight BoA card
I think AAA card is much better card than both Travel Rewards and 3-2-1 Cash rewards
there are no earning cap on AAA
where as BoA 3-2-1 card comes with 1500 per quarter earning cap

Message 29 of 36
Brax
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Once you get past the bonus factor (it would take $6,667 travel spend on AAA's 3% to break even with Travel Rewards 1.5% + $100 bonus), I would imagine that the AAA card is better if your travel is mostly domestic. For overseas travel spend you'd be effectively earning 1% once you factor in foreign transaction fee compared to the 1.5% for the BofA Travel Rewards. I think VeganMakePeace was suggesting AAA because OP said he/she had no plans to travel overseas.

The AAA card gave me a $75 signup bonus last year, although it's not advertised nor mentioned anywhere. I only made $395 in purchases when it credited on first statement, so it is probably a bonus on first purchase rather than some kind of spending requirement.

Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.