Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Travel Card for Non-Travellers

tag
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Best Travel Card for Non-Travellers

I'm looking for the best travel credit card for non-travellers. I travel maybe once or twice a year and usually I don't fly (but I might some day). So I'm looking for a travel card that can make the most with the amount of spend I can put on it. 

The forums have(/had) me interested in Chase Sapphire Reserve/Preferred (and I have Freedom and Freedom Unlimited) but I don't think I can make the cards work for me in a way that compensates for those hefty AF's (and hard to hit sign up bonus). I understand that CSR pays a chunk of it's AF off with it's perks but if I don't use them one year (as I might do), then I see it as a huge loss financially. I like the idea of being able to use these cards for many different partners for travel.

The forums have me interested in First National Bank Travelite as it has no AF, a decent sign up bonus (hard to hit spend imo but I think I can swing it). This card having that plus paying for Global Entry really is a treat...but it also has a wonderful sounding $100 credit for hotel upgrades (the one I'm most likely to use), baggage, etc when you register for the program. I don't know how that works...do I just show up to a hotel and ask for an upgrade if one is available and FNBO/Amex will automatically know it's that type of spend? If it's easy enough, I can see this being the card for me as I could comfortably not use it (except for the occasional dining for 3X points) to accumulate points...which I think can only be used for CB? Which I'm fine with...although I do dislike the Amex $25 redemption minimum. I like the idea of being able to use for travel spend.

These 3 cards have been swirling around in my head lately. I won't do anything soon but definitely within a year I would like to have a card that fits this niche for me. I'm open to other options.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Travel Card for Non-Travellers

@SecretAzure wrote:

I'm looking for the best travel credit card for non-travellers. I travel maybe once or twice a year and usually I don't fly (but I might some day). So I'm looking for a travel card that can make the most with the amount of spend I can put on it. 

The forums have(/had) me interested in Chase Sapphire Reserve/Preferred (and I have Freedom and Freedom Unlimited) but I don't think I can make the cards work for me in a way that compensates for those hefty AF's (and hard to hit sign up bonus). I understand that CSR pays a chunk of it's AF off with it's perks but if I don't use them one year (as I might do), then I see it as a huge loss financially. I like the idea of being able to use these cards for many different partners for travel.

The forums have me interested in First National Bank Travelite as it has no AF, a decent sign up bonus (hard to hit spend imo but I think I can swing it). This card having that plus paying for Global Entry really is a treat...but it also has a wonderful sounding $100 credit for hotel upgrades (the one I'm most likely to use), baggage, etc when you register for the program. I don't know how that works...do I just show up to a hotel and ask for an upgrade if one is available and FNBO/Amex will automatically know it's that type of spend? If it's easy enough, I can see this being the card for me as I could comfortably not use it (except for the occasional dining for 3X points) to accumulate points...which I think can only be used for CB? Which I'm fine with...although I do dislike the Amex $25 redemption minimum. I like the idea of being able to use for travel spend.

These 3 cards have been swirling around in my head lately. I won't do anything soon but definitely within a year I would like to have a card that fits this niche for me. I'm open to other options.

I'm wondering if you might want to just skip a travel rewards card and focus on a card with cash back.

Message 2 of 29
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Discover Miles Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 29
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

BankAmericard Travel Rewards.  1.5 points/$1 plus a 20,000 ($200) bonus after $1k spend within 3 months.  No annual fee and if you have a BOA account then you'll get an extra 10% bonus making it a 1.65 point/$1 card.  But to simplify this...this card is labeled "travel" but it's nothing short of a 1.5% cash back card with a $200 spend bonus.  Kick it up a little more if you have certain accounts with BOA. 

Honestly, if you're going to go this route you can also take a look at the Discover IT Miles (same concept as BOA) or just a flat cash back card like the Citi Double Cash which is your standard 2% cash back card.  There are also other players in the 2% game such as Blispay which I would rather have over any of these "travel" labeled cards.

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

I'm wondering if you might want to just skip a travel rewards card and focus on a card with cash back.

+1

Message 5 of 29
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

BankAmericard Travel Rewards.  1.5 points/$1 plus a 20,000 ($200) bonus after $1k spend within 3 months.  No annual fee and if you have a BOA account then you'll get an extra 10% bonus making it a 1.65 point/$1 card.  But to simplify this...this card is labeled "travel" but it's nothing short of a 1.5% cash back card with a $200 spend bonus.  Kick it up a little more if you have certain accounts with BOA. 

Honestly, if you're going to go this route you can also take a look at the Discover IT Miles (same concept as BOA) or just a flat cash back card like the Citi Double Cash which is your standard 2% cash back card.  There are also other players in the 2% game such as Blispay which I would rather have over any of these "travel" labeled cards.

Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate it. I still think the FNB Travelite has a leg up because it's basically the same as the BOA Travel or Discover It Miles but it gives you 3X points when using it on travel...plus that $100 annual credit and global entry credit. If it's the same 1.5...I might as well get the best bang for my buck, shouldn't I?

Adding: I have considered not getting one but is there a con to just getting one of the aforementioned cards and holding onto them? I drop a few points and recoup them in a year or less. Just wondering.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would recommend these cards:

1. Capital One QS:

- Decent 1.5% CB on all purchases and points can be applied to anything.

- No FTF good for international travel

- $100 Sign up Bonus

2. Chase Amazon

- Good earning if you shop on Amazon

- Good Categories like 2% Restaurants 1% on all other purchases and 3% on Amazon with No prime and 5% with Prime

3. Citi Double Cash

- Good 2% earning on all spend and 2% CB can be used on planned travel

- has FTF not good for international travel.

4. Capital One  Premier Dining Rewards

-  3% CB on Dining, 2% on Groceries and 1% on all other

- $100 Sign up Bonus

These are not in any order, it just depends on what you mostly spend on. If you don't have a category you spend a lot on, I would suggest C1 QS, Citi DC. If you're a big Amazon shopper get the Chase Amazon, and if you eat out a lot get the C1 Dining Rewards.. 

Hope this helps!

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about the Capital One Venture or the Barclaycard Arrival Plus? The perks look great with the Travelite, but if you don't fly, they are pretty much wasted. You may be better off getting a higher signup bonus and 2X on all spending? 

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate it. I still think the FNB Travelite has a leg up because it's basically the same as the BOA Travel or Discover It Miles but it gives you 3X points when using it on travel...plus that $100 annual credit and global entry credit. If it's the same 1.5...I might as well get the best bang for my buck, shouldn't I?

Adding: I have considered not getting one but is there a con to just getting one of the aforementioned cards and holding onto them? I drop a few points and recoup them in a year or less. Just wondering.

If you don't travel much I wouldn't recommend this card because:

1. Amex is not widely accepted internationally 

2. the 3% CB is on Travel related purchases so if you don't make many travel related purchases it doesn't make sense to focus your spend on this card

3. You could get more cash back using the other cards mentioned 

However, if you know for sure you are not going to travel internationally, then getting the card wouldn't be so bad because you get 1.5% CB on everything else. I just like to have cards with no FTF because they are really useful when you are traveling abroad. 

Side note, I was shocked to see that the TravElite card did not work on my recent expedia purchase because the airline I was booking did not accept Amex so it sucked because I'm trying to rack up spend for the sign up bonus (2,500 for 250 CB).

Message 9 of 29
NRB525
Super Contributor

PC your Capital One Platinum to Quicksilver. No HP, no FTF, no AF, 1.5% easy rewards to use as you like when you like.. 

Also consider hotel cards like Chase Marriorr with the free annual night. The issue here is the points on regular spend are not good. Hyatt is better, but availability of Hyatt hotels is limited. 

If if you don't travel regularly, the AF on travel cards is going to hurt your earnings from spend. Using 5% category cards, or QS, is going to be much easier. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.