Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Travel Card to apply to

tag
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Best Travel Card to apply to

Hi everyone,

So this is actually my first post on this forum. *Newbie* ^_^. But I was wondering if I could get a few opinons on which travel credit card I should apply to. 

As far as my background goes, I have a three year old credit history. I am only 20. However, my credit scores are all in the 760's. I have three credit cards, Amex ECP, Chase Sapphire Preferred, and a Barclay Arrival. My available combined credit among these three cards is $40K. Although I am quite young, I travel a few times a year; whether that be work related or for personal vacation. Thus, I would like to have a travel card in my portfolio. Annual fees are not a problem for me, and I have more than a stable income due to the fact that I work for a computer security company. I studied Comp Sci and have my BS,  and I am currently working on my MS.

I was looking at a few cards, such as the Amex Platinum or  the Citi AA Executive WEMC. But due to all the recent lounge changes, I am not sure which to get. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Best Travel Card to apply to

@heyarrnold wrote:

Hi everyone,

So this is actually my first post on this forum. *Newbie* ^_^. But I was wondering if I could get a few opinons on which travel credit card I should apply to. 

As far as my background goes, I have a three year old credit history. I am only 20. However, my credit scores are all in the 760's. I have three credit cards, Amex ECP, Chase Sapphire Preferred, and a Barclay Arrival. My available combined credit among these three cards is $40K. Although I am quite young, I travel a few times a year; whether that be work related or for personal vacation. Thus, I would like to have a travel card in my portfolio. Annual fees are not a problem for me, and I have more than a stable income due to the fact that I work for a computer security company. I studied Comp Sci and have my BS,  and I am currently working on my MS.

I was looking at a few cards, such as the Amex Platinum or  the Citi AA Executive WEMC. But due to all the recent lounge changes, I am not sure which to get. 

The CSP is a travel card. Amex plat isn't worth it unless your going to use the benefits a decent amount. The citi executive is offering 100k miles right now but you need to make a 10k initial spend within 3 months. Worth it to some people, but not to others. It depends on if this is the airline or alliance you want to fly on. I would suggest a freedom card to go with your csp. The rotating categories can pay off and if you eat out next quarter there will be x5 on restaurant spend. Also, twice a year they have x5 on gas as well as other categories and there is no AF. Its a good way to pad your UR accounts up to the 1.5k bonus spend limit. You can look into certain hotel cards. The citi hilton is good if you like hiltons, chase has a hyatt card, amex has spg, etc. SPG card can transfer to airlines and sometimes with an added bonus. If your going to put at least 30k spend a year on the card then the amex prg may be worth a look (the first year has no AF which is a plus). 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 8
mirachi
Regular Contributor

∑(゚Д゚) lolol just out of curiosity, is something wrong with the two you have?

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 3 of 8
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Thanks for response. I know that the CSP is a travel card. I should have been a bit more precise in what I asked, and stated in advance that my desire for another travel card is leaned toward those with lounge access. I'll take what you said into consideration, and hopefully I can come to a decision. Thanks again!

Message 4 of 8
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

No, there's nothing wrong. As I mentioned in my previous reply, I should have been more precise with what I asked. I want a card with lounge access Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 8
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

I think the Citi AA Executive is the better deal if you have any sort of loyalty to AA. Lounge access and I think the 100K promotion is still going on?

Message 6 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

I think the Citi AA Executive is the better deal if you have any sort of loyalty to AA. Lounge access and I think the 100K promotion is still going on?

Right, it really comes down to which lounges you need to/want to use in your future travels.   If AA/US Air is a major component, the AA Exec is a choice with the 100K promotion.   If you don't use those airlines, then look elsewhere.  Amex Plat, as you suggest,  really seems iffy at present, maybe they will come up with a set of enhancements, but not clear yet.

Message 7 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

Right, it really comes down to which lounges you need to/want to use in your future travels.   If AA/US Air is a major component, the AA Exec is a choice with the 100K promotion.   If you don't use those airlines, then look elsewhere.  Amex Plat, as you suggest,  really seems iffy at present, maybe they will come up with a set of enhancements, but not clear yet.

+1 If your looking for lounge access then it depends on the airline. I just picked up the AA card for the bonus, but I have an AA hub near me. United has a club card and sometimes I get offers from them where they waive the AF for the first year which would be great if I was willing to take another HP. There are some good offers on Amex Plats right now, higher signup offers than usual. Of course, whether or not the lounges with that card will work for you depends upon where you are flying to/from. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.