cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Travel Rewards Card (Personal Experience)

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Travel Rewards Card (Personal Experience)

@nolongeraneqaddict wrote:

I have both the CSP and Chase Marriott Rewards cards, both are metal inside and get the typical, "wow this card is cool" comments.

I got the CSP because of the 40k signup bonus, I will probably downgrade to Sapphire after the year is up. The Sapphire gets the Food 2x but not the travel 2x. However the Chase Marriott does give 2x travel. 

What I like about the Chase Marriott Rewards Card;

1 Free night each year (Cat 1-5)

2x Travel

Auto Silver Membership Each Year

@Extra 5pts @ Marriott Hotels

$85 fee (cheaper then CSP and gives the Travel 2x which regular sapphire doesnt)

One major drawback of that annual free night is that it's now worth a lot less after the most recent devaluation. A lot of the places I'd consider staying at have been shifted to category 6 (was 5).

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 11 of 24
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Just want to say, the AMEX PLAT is not good for spending. It is just good for benefits.

If you fly mostly delta, the reserve card might be good.

If you mostly fly united, then the club card would be good.

I have had good luck with my flexperks card, but it must be paired with another card like the amex plat to get "benefits".

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 12 of 24
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

@djrez4 wrote:

Consider the US Airways/American merger before applying for that card.  Also, don't upgrade the HHonors card to the reserve.  Apply for a new one and get the two weekend night bonus.

Yeah...I was thinking about that very thing....I saw a few links out there that stated  points are eventually devaluated following a merger (due to the larger pool of elite status members).  So, this would likely mean that benefits wouldnt have as much bang. 

NFCU cashRewards (22k) | Discover IT (8k) | AMEX EveryDay (5k) | AMEX Delta Gold (5k) | CSP (5k) | Marriott Rewards Premier (5k) | Citi Hilton Reserve(5k) | AMEX SPG (2k)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scores: EQ - 670 | TU- 742 | EX - 691
Message 13 of 24
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

I have both the CSP and Chase Marriott Rewards cards, both are metal inside and get the typical, "wow this card is cool" comments.

I got the CSP because of the 40k signup bonus, I will probably downgrade to Sapphire after the year is up. The Sapphire gets the Food 2x but not the travel 2x. However the Chase Marriott does give 2x travel. 

2x Travel

$85 fee (cheaper then CSP and gives the Travel 2x which regular sapphire doesnt)

One major drawback of that annual free night is that it's now worth a lot less after the most recent devaluation. A lot of the places I'd consider staying at have been shifted to category 6 (was 5).

It seems like everyone is devaluating.  Marriott, and now Hilton...is Starwood next???

NFCU cashRewards (22k) | Discover IT (8k) | AMEX EveryDay (5k) | AMEX Delta Gold (5k) | CSP (5k) | Marriott Rewards Premier (5k) | Citi Hilton Reserve(5k) | AMEX SPG (2k)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 14 of 24
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

*Update*

Just as a quick update...I applied and was approved for the Amex SPG.  Ultimately the flexibility of the points drew me in.  Especially following the huge devaluation of points with the other major chains.  In addition, I knew if I didn't get it there would only be a SP.

Message 15 of 24
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@icetrap06 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

2x Travel

It seems like everyone is devaluating.  Marriott, and now Hilton...is Starwood next???

Starwood posted their devaluation in 2 parts, which was smart on their part. It made their devaluation look tame when compared to Marriott and Hilton, both of who announced everything at once.

5% of SPG properties are going down in category, 20% are going up. That's not good, period. Combined with the C&P devaluation, I'd actually put SPG's devaluation on a similar level to Marriott's. Hilton however was the runaway winner when it came to destroying value.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 16 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

At the present pace of some of these devaluations, there comes a point when the best value travel card will be one with beneifts rather than rewards points earning potential.

Message 17 of 24
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@icetrap06 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

2x Travel

Starwood posted their devaluation in 2 parts, which was smart on their part. It made their devaluation look tame when compared to Marriott and Hilton, both of who announced everything at once.

5% of SPG properties are going down in category, 20% are going up. That's not good, period. Combined with the C&P devaluation, I'd actually put SPG's devaluation on a similar level to Marriott's. Hilton however was the runaway winner when it came to destroying value.

Wow...I did not realize that.

Message 18 of 24
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

At the present pace of some of these devaluations, there comes a point when the best value travel card will be one with beneifts rather than rewards points earning potential.

I certainly see your point...with that said, it may be best to start going for cards like the CSP that reward travel in general(reimburstment) not with a specific chain (points) huh...

Message 19 of 24
distantarray
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@icetrap06 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

2x Travel

Not to mention Starwood increased their points and pay requirements not too bad, but you did get the bonus of suite upgrades avalible which can work out

Then there's the Delta and Starwood partnership where you can get Delta Skymile AND Starwood points if you use eachother's cards and also get automatic status if you have it on Delta or Starwood and vice versa.

Starwood's been slightly devalued but when Starwood does something they trade you something atleast Smiley Wink

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.